Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Gadgets & Internet TV

Gadgets & Internet TV

Old Apr 9th 2014, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gadgets & Internet TV

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi there, so long as your TV and tablet/phone or laptop are compatible and your internet connection is fast enough then yes, just plug into your TV and hey presto
You do need to check the connections available on your TV. You may need a HDMI cable if it is not included in the pack.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

mr87009 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, so long as your TV and tablet/phone or laptop are compatible and your internet connection is fast enough then yes, just plug into your TV and hey presto
Thanks Rural - having previously researched all about VPN's and the like this all seemed a little too easy! But I'm not complaining. We recently had broadband installed and are over again on Sunday for the Easter 2 week holidays, so looks like I need to buy one of these before we leave the UK!!

Cheers,

Matt
Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:17 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear you have internet sorted and hope this works for you though it's all thanks to Fen for the OP.
Hope you have a lovely 2 weeks
Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Great to hear you have internet sorted and hope this works for you though it's all thanks to Fen for the OP.
Hope you have a lovely 2 weeks
Thanks Rural and thanks Fen too!

Just out of interest Fen apart from iPlayer what other TV from the UK do you get with the Chromecast?
Old Apr 9th 2014, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr87009
Thanks Rural and thanks Fen too!

Just out of interest Fen apart from iPlayer what other TV from the UK do you get with the Chromecast?
I actually have Netgear Push2Tv because I have a Kindle Fire HDX. This was recommended by Amazon. I have Netflix on my Kindle and movies are great. It all depends on what apps you download to your android tablet or Windows 7 or 8 compatible laptop. The gadget mirrors what you see on your tablet/laptop. I'd have gone for the Chromecast had it been around at the time I bought my Push2TV. Technology changes so fast.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

tweez78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I actually have Netgear Push2Tv because I have a Kindle Fire HDX. This was recommended by Amazon. I have Netflix on my Kindle and movies are great. It all depends on what apps you download to your android tablet or Windows 7 or 8 compatible laptop. The gadget mirrors what you see on your tablet/laptop. I'd have gone for the Chromecast had it been around at the time I bought my Push2TV. Technology changes so fast.
But the Chromecast doesn't have the mirroring feature when used with a tablet. So I'd say the Netgear device you have is better for that reason!

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...gle-chromecast

The more I read up on Chromecast the less appealing it becomes!
Old Apr 9th 2014, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tweez78
But the Chromecast doesn't have the mirroring feature when used with a tablet. So I'd say the Netgear device you have is better for that reason!

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...gle-chromecast

The more I read up on Chromecast the less appealing it becomes!
That's strange the link below says it can mirror your android tablet!
http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/05/m...ecast-support/

My Kindle Fire HDX already has Mirror display to TV built in so all I need to do is switch on my Netgear Push2TV.
Might be best to wait for the Amazon TV gadget!
Old Apr 9th 2014, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chromecast:
All about what it can do.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...owViewpoints=1
Old Apr 9th 2014, 6:49 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

....and here
Old Apr 9th 2014, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Netgear Push2TV
http://www.netgear.com/landing/stream/tv/#push2tv
Old Apr 27th 2014, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all,

Just thought I'd update you all with my findings on the Chromecast.

Yes it does work straight out of the box, really easy to set up and works fine straight away. You Tube works off the laptop or the iPhone, but TV - er, no!

Unless anyone knows otherwise it seems you still need either a VPN or Smart DNS. :-(

Cheers,

Matt
Old Apr 28th 2014, 1:58 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr87009
Hi all,

Just thought I'd update you all with my findings on the Chromecast.

Yes it does work straight out of the box, really easy to set up and works fine straight away. You Tube works off the laptop or the iPhone, but TV - er, no!

Unless anyone knows otherwise it seems you still need either a VPN or Smart DNS. :-(

Cheers,

Matt
Presumably it can be used as just a way of getting the PC to play on the TV without a cable running between them? - so if you ran Google Chrome with a VPN or Smart DNS then you could get it played through the TV by the Chromecast wi fi connection? I wonder?
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by John Gilbert
Presumably it can be used as just a way of getting the PC to play on the TV without a cable running between them? - so if you ran Google Chrome with a VPN or Smart DNS then you could get it played through the TV by the Chromecast wi fi connection? I wonder?
I guess so John, yes. But I think it's like anything wireless it takes a lot more memory etc. I got a much better quality from my iPhone than my laptop with the Chromecast.

For £30 I can't complain though!

Cheers,

Matt