Fruit trees

Old Jun 18th 2013, 5:30 am
Just Joined

phatbiker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fruit trees

I know this may seem like a bit of a weird question but I am going to ask it anyway also I am new out here and will probably ask a few more weird questions as time passes by

When we bought our house we have inherited ,along with other trees, a well established Apricot tree which is now dripping in fruit and the ones at the very top of the tree, which get the sun most of the day seem to be very ripe now

Here's the question

Do I have to wait for them to drop from the tree or do I take my life in my hands and scale the tree to pick them

Suggestions please
Old Jun 18th 2013, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fruit trees

If they drop off they will be bruised and quickly go bad. You do need to pick them but you might have to leave the hard to reach ones for the birds and squirrels! When I was clearing weeds in a wooded bit of my land I discovered an odd 3 legged stepladder which is designed for picking fruit as it is more stable on uneven ground. I've not used it yet as my apples are not very tasty anyway so I only bother picking the easy to reach ones. If I get time this year I might have a go at cider though, so I will need more for that.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

First cut the grass under the tree (or otherwise tidy up under it) then shake the tree and the ripe ones fall off, probably the ones at the top. Eat them quickly or freeze them or make jam. The lower ones you can probably pick as and when ripe. (in case you hadn't guessed you cut the grass so that the fruit is easier to find!)

P.S. The strength of shaking is a judgement call. Shake too hard and the unripe ones fall as well.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a kid and England still had apple orchards, we used to 'help' at harvest time.

The grass was left long to provide a good cushion effect, then a couple of large sheets were placed under the tree and the apples shaken off, the sheets were then gently lifted from the outside until all the apples rolled into a pile near the trunk, so it was a simple job for us kids to box them up.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Carrot_Cruncher is on a distinguished road

We were lucky enough to have some well established cherry trees, both sour and dessert, on our property. Given the price of cherries in the UK and by virtue of the fact that I grew up with them as a rare treat, I have the mentality that I don't want to share any of them with the wildlife. Does anybody know of a way to net the entire tree to keep out the birds, or does nobody generally bother?
Old Jun 18th 2013, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by duztee
When I was a kid and England still had apple orchards, we used to 'help' at harvest time.
There is an apple scrumper among us....call the cops!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Carrot_Cruncher
We were lucky enough to have some well established cherry trees, both sour and dessert, on our property. Given the price of cherries in the UK and by virtue of the fact that I grew up with them as a rare treat, I have the mentality that I don't want to share any of them with the wildlife. Does anybody know of a way to net the entire tree to keep out the birds, or does nobody generally bother?
I am of the belief that if you do not share a little of what you have with nature, it in turn will not provide abundance for you. The birds disperse the seeds so do an important job, just as bees pollinate.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Carrot_Cruncher is on a distinguished road

I guess a change of mentality is cheaper and a lot less effort than trying to hoard all my fruit. Point taken.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

If your cherry trees are as full of fruit as all the ones round here then I think there is more than you will ever use.
I have one cherry tree in the garden but it doesn't stop friends and neighbours dumping bags of cherries from their trees onto me as well.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:14 am
Just Joined

phatbiker is an unknown quantity at this point

We don't have a cherry tree so if anyone is passing through Iregszemcse and wants to drop some off...... Sweet or sour!!!!
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phatbiker
We don't have a cherry tree so if anyone is passing through Iregszemcse and wants to drop some off...... Sweet or sour!!!!
Be careful what you wish for