Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Foxes and Golden Jackals abound!

Foxes and Golden Jackals abound!

Old Mar 8th 2019, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foxes and Golden Jackals abound!

Jackals look quite fearsome! Only seen one fox in the last couple of months. I have to think about the animal houses now.........

We need to get a big dog then! Next time we see the local hunters will ask about what lurks in the woods......
Old Dec 30th 2020, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

We saw a golden jackal last week. It crossed the road just infront of us then stopped and looked as we passed. We've never seen one before and didn't realise they lived around here until I contacted a local forestry worker who assured me that they do, along with wolves.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

One morning this week when I went in the barn for kindling I found what looked like a dead woodpecker fledgling. It seemed like the wrong time of year for them to be having young but perhaps not. The giant woodworm grubs are not active so I suppose they are easy to harvest from dead trees etc. It had lost some feathers but had not been eaten so it may have just been killed by a cat. My dog died a few months ago and I have sometimes seen a cat in the garden since then. I left the corpse which was gone by the next morning. I often find piles of feathers but suspect I have visits from an owl sometimes.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
One morning this week when I went in the barn for kindling I found what looked like a dead woodpecker fledgling. It seemed like the wrong time of year for them to be having young but perhaps not. The giant woodworm grubs are not active so I suppose they are easy to harvest from dead trees etc. It had lost some feathers but had not been eaten so it may have just been killed by a cat. My dog died a few months ago and I have sometimes seen a cat in the garden since then. I left the corpse which was gone by the next morning. I often find piles of feathers but suspect I have visits from an owl sometimes.
I read an article in the National geographic mag. a short while ago and the article lamented the number of wild birds killed by both domestic and feral cats saying that the predation by cats was affecting the bird population in some areas. I suspect that the piles of feathers are the remains of a cats lunch rather than from owls. Certainly our farm cats will take a bird as well as the usual mice. Feeding the cats doesn't seem to affect their hunting desires.