Food?

Old May 7th 2013, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

capricorn2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Food?

Just came across this website for all you foodies that are dreaming of UK food - http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk.

They will send their stock anywhere in the world - may be good for sending presents to ex-pats when you don't know what to buy them!
Old May 7th 2013, 7:27 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capricorn2013
Just came across this website for all you foodies that are dreaming of UK food - http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk.

They will send their stock anywhere in the world - may be good for sending presents to ex-pats when you don't know what to buy them!
I just do a Tesco shop then have my daughter box it up and send it using parcel2go
Old May 7th 2013, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

capricorn2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Children can be useful then
Old Jul 24th 2013, 1:37 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alkin
Weetabix (the real McCoy) is sold at branches of Müller (in Kaposvár, Keszthely, and probably elsewhere) they are less expensive than Tesco (who have stopped stocking them in our local branch).
We also prefer the Cornflakes sold by Lidl to the Tesco ones.
Just wanted to say thanks for this - the kids and I now have a regular supply of weetabix, chocolate weetabix and weetabix minis Would never have thought of looking in Muller!
Old Dec 6th 2013, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I picked up this in Interspar the other day. I know at least one person who meets the description!

Old Dec 6th 2013, 10:06 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I picked up this in Interspar the other day. I know at least one person who meets the description!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...psd15c35fa.jpg
I could add another five or six to your one!
Old Jan 26th 2014, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

This evenings culinary disaster was burgonyanudli. There has been a bag of these in the freezer for a few weeks and yesterday I got them out to see what I have to do with them. What I should have done is put them back in the freezer but as I was going to do them today I left them in the fridge. You will guess what happened, they congealed back into a single lump of dough! Not a problem, thought I, I will just have to divide them up and reform them. They are a type of dumpling so I was not bothered about the shape, I would just roll them into rough balls. The trouble was, the dough was incredibly sticky. I had to get loads of flour into them just to be able to do anything without the whole mass of dough getting stuck to my hands.
I did eventually make them into pieces that could be boiled but even then they were not floating as they stuck to the bottom of the pan. The first batch therefore came out wetter than they should but the second batch worked better.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

My most notable culinary disaster was shortly after I came to live in Hungary. Instead of grilling maj hurka I popped them into boiling water just as you would do with virsli and they promptly disintegrated and ended up as a muddy looking sludge on the bottom of the saucepan.

I think I ate vegetarian that night!
Old Jan 27th 2014, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

I always grill/oven cook my virsli, seems to work fine! The dog eats most of them as the 1kg pack from Lidl or Penny Market does not work out any dearer than half decent tinned dog food.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:40 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Probably better ingredients in the decent tin of dog food I watched a programme once on economy hot dogs being made - haven't eaten one since...
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Probably better ingredients in the decent tin of dog food I watched a programme once on economy hot dogs being made - haven't eaten one since...
You're making me feel ill!
Old Jan 29th 2014, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Well things do still go right sometimes! I've been cutting up my potato dumplings smaller and putting them in soup but I still had some left and I put them in the roasting tin with a couple of chicken portions for this evenings meal. I also had a broccoli to cook so I did that too. Everything came out perfect! The chicken was so tender it was falling to pieces and the dumplings had absorbed the meat flavour and were tasty, a bit like roast potatoes but more chewy. I do find the chicken in Hungary has more flavour than the equivalent (i.e. bog standard supermarket packs) I used to buy in UK.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:12 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Unless you do like I did once and buy a boiler by mistake