Food?

Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice
Default Re: Food?

Originally Posted by Antibes
Hello there,
Sorry about tescos... I don't know the shops around Balaton, I live near Budapest and visit the ones here (ie.the one almost next to airport ferihegy has a good source of UK stuff). I do not mean to promote shops but I found two in Hungary dealing with UK products and deliver as well (I have not ordered yet just went to the shop itself of one of them). Do you want me to post their links or rather only in PM if anybody asks for it?
Hi Antibes
not your fault about Tesco's, they can be very fickel with what they supply, some months back a friend found warbouton's crumpets, in Tesco, thought great, but the next week, went back and they (the crumpets) were never seen again. I often fly from Budapest so will make time to look in Tesco nr the airport. Like I posted earlier I now know how to make my own syrup, so some good has come of it.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tomsky2012
Please share that recipe pls x
Hi if you go on utube and put golden syrup in, there is even a video of an australian cook making it, a word of warning when you add the boiling water be careful as the mixture spits, so do it slowly. I also used 4 quarters of the lemon, I think he only used one, and it gives the syrup a lovely lemon taste. You can use the lemon after in recipes as chopped peel, nice for hot cross buns.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I nipped over to UK and did some shopping:

Last edited by fidobsa; Apr 19th 2013 at 4:19 am.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fidobsa

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...ps96106d96.jpg
OMG Branston Pickle!!
Old Apr 19th 2013, 5:33 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...ps96106d96.jpg
Cruel, so cruel, better not let my kids see the cereal Though I will have to show you how to make a quick and easy pie as fray bentos is

Talking of kids, my daughter was wondering if you could come for dinner and take a look at her quad bike - no flies on that one!
Old Apr 19th 2013, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=fidobsa;10668164]I nipped over to UK and did some shopping:

Wot no Marmite
Old Apr 19th 2013, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

You've seriously got me thinking .... should I forget moving to Hungary when I retire!
Old Apr 19th 2013, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Antibes is an unknown quantity at this point

FYI If still needed I just saw in tescos golden syrup for about 600 HUF ..
Old Apr 20th 2013, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

In the tesco in Veszprem they have an international cooking section which includes Tesco own brand weetabix and also tesco multipack cereals (mini eight packs). In the British section they also have Heinz red kidney beans? (never saw these back in the uk), Tesco's finest tikka masala and Korma sauces, pg tips, self raising flour,marmalade, peanut butter and some other really weird stuff that I have no idea why it is on the shelves in that section. All at inflated prices of course.
What I am missing is microwaveable rice packets particularly tilda, all I can find is boil in bag rice.
Did manage to find coleslaw in Interspar
Old Apr 20th 2013, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary

Wot no Marmite
No, I've never been keen on Marmite and whenever I used to go to Burton on Trent I always seemed to take a wrong turn and end up in the road where the Bovril and Marmite factories are located.
I should probably have got more Oxo cubes though. When I was in Scotland I didn't have much selection of things for hot drinks so some evenings I would make a mug of Oxo stock.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

judybaby is an unknown quantity at this point

The Tesco in Siofok also has most of the items listed. The Tesco cornflakes (not the VERY cheap ones) are ok. We also buy the Scottish oats from the International section too as I like my porridge in the morning. Especially either with stewed fruit or banana and walnuts on top!
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:03 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in Scotland I didn't have much selection of things for hot drinks so some evenings I would make a mug of Oxo stock.
Oh the memories.... My gran used to make me hot oxo when she ran out of Bovril, always laced with black pepper.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 3:39 am
Just Joined

Alkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Weetabix (the real McCoy) is sold at branches of Müller (in Kaposvár, Keszthely, and probably elsewhere) they are less expensive than Tesco (who have stopped stocking them in our local branch).
We also prefer the Cornflakes sold by Lidl to the Tesco ones.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

Location: North Kent but looking to relocate to Hungary this year
starting_out is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I'd be interested to know which spices are in short supply: herbs? Asian spices? What about Worcestershire sauce? Just making notes for when I visit Hungary this summer in my small car.
Thanks
Starting_out
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:55 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Alkin
Weetabix (the real McCoy) is sold at branches of Müller (in Kaposvár, Keszthely, and probably elsewhere) they are less expensive than Tesco (who have stopped stocking them in our local branch).
We also prefer the Cornflakes sold by Lidl to the Tesco ones.
Never would I have thought of trying Muller! Will take a look next time I'm in Nagy. Eurofamily have heinz sauces and salad creams, peas, kidney beans but no beans? Perhaps if enough people requested them then they might start stocking them though to be honest, the Tesco baked beans are actually okay. They also sell tortillas in Eurofamily and they are quite a bit cheaper than Tesco.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.