Flybalaton

Old May 2nd 2010, 11:21 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flybalaton

Hi Richard, this was indeed bad news moreso considering the comments from Wizzair (read post above).

We have used both Graz and Zagreb on several occasions and find Zagreb quicker to get to than Budapest. However, flights are usually more expensive to and from Zagreb, unless booked well in advance also, I'm not sure about the cost of hiring a car in Croatia then driving it to Hungary as there may be an excess. Graz, for us, is a slightly longer but quite scenic drive and flights are usually quite reasonable. Hope this helps.
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

I've used Bratislava quite a lot. It's about the same distance away as Budapest, but the road is not motorway, and can be quite busy with lorries in the north.
Old May 2nd 2010, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Les and Jenn will become famous soon enoughLes and Jenn will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: Flybalaton

None of this is good news for us travellers - we are only left with Easyjet... a word of warning to all travellers hiring a car in a neighbouring country there is a extra charge for crossing borders from some companies - we got caught out when hiring a car from Graz. Keep us informed on any news. When is your meeting in May? Thanks Les and Jenn
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Les and Jenn
None of this is good news for us travellers - we are only left with Easyjet... a word of warning to all travellers hiring a car in a neighbouring country there is a extra charge for crossing borders from some companies - we got caught out when hiring a car from Graz. Keep us informed on any news. When is your meeting in May? Thanks Les and Jenn
For car hire from Bratislava, I usually book through www.auto-europe.co.ukwho appear to use most of the airport hire firms. Cross border travel is not an extra. They also include a motorway vignette, for use in Slovakia.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 4th 2016 at 6:24 am. Reason: updated link per request
Old May 3rd 2010, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Has anyone heard any news of Alba airport (Székesfehérvár)? It was supposed to be opening first half of 2010.
Old May 3rd 2010, 1:58 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shotgun, afraid it's bad news there as well. Figures suggest 1.2 billion ft has been spent on purchasing the land, cleaning up the contaminated site and well, not much else. Apparently there have been problems obtaining licences and to date there has been no construction work. Locals are, understandably, not happy as they were promised new roads, an industrial estate and employment!
Old May 6th 2010, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Les and Jenn will become famous soon enoughLes and Jenn will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Flybalaton

Suggestion for all Balaton Brits that want to find a low cost UK airline to go to Flybalaton - email the CEO at Easyjet (andyateasyjet.com) - obviously you use the @ sign - his name is Andy Harrison - I got an email back from them today -they say they will look at the route but need to know if such a demand occurs............so all get emailing and tell your friends and family - we can make a difference and get this moving !!!!
Old May 6th 2010, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Flybalaton

HAVE SET UP A GROUP ON FACEBOOK TO TRY AND CONVINCE EASYJET THAT THERE IS A DEMAND FOR THIS GROUP - ANYONE WHO IS A MEMBER OF FACEBOOK SHOULD LOOK FOR THE GROUP EASYJET SHOUD FLY INTO FLYBALATON AIRPORT IN HUNGARY. PLEASE ALL WHO CAN GIVE IT A GO. THANKS
Old May 8th 2010, 9:32 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Les and Jenn
Suggestion for all Balaton Brits that want to find a low cost UK airline to go to Flybalaton - email the CEO at Easyjet (andyateasyjet.com) - obviously you use the @ sign - his name is Andy Harrison - I got an email back from them today -they say they will look at the route but need to know if such a demand occurs............so all get emailing and tell your friends and family - we can make a difference and get this moving !!!!
Thanks Les & Jenn - I have sent my email & encourage others to do the same. There must be a viable business opportunity here & it would make life so much easier!
Old May 9th 2010, 9:50 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Jen, thanks for the time and effort you are putting in. I have sent my email and will ask my daughter to join the facebook group as it affects her and her student friends should they wish to visit, hopefully she will be able to add a few members.
Are you going to wait until there are quite a few members and then email the group details to Easyjet?
Old May 24th 2010, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Exclamation Re: Flybalaton

Hi All, Have now had a reply from Easyjet and they are suggesting that they will look into this route but need to be able to assess the popularity of the airport - therefore all need to email press.officeateasyjet.com - if we can get Easyjet talking to the new owners you never know we may be in with a chance. PLEASE ALL EMAIL EASYJET LETS GET THIS MOVING.. Many thanks Les and Jenn
Old May 25th 2010, 12:24 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Les and Jenn, still haven't had a reply yet but not given up hope.

Not sure if you got my PM about possible contacts to spread the word?

I thought that for those that don't have a facebook account, perhaps a petition might be the way to go. It can be found at:

http://www.petitiononline.com/balaton/petition.html

When I get a minute I will forward details of it to Balatonbrits, estate agents who have sold extensively to Brits and anyone else that I can think of with a relevant mailing list.
Have Easyjet said what level of popularity/interest they require before considering the route, a target figure would be really useful and give us something to aim for. If it is much higher than the passenger numbers/forecasts generated by Ryanair, it may be a non starter.
Old May 25th 2010, 12:30 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Sent email - we must all push. Hope they take into account the users from wider area including southern Hungary & even Croatia. The RyanAir daily planes used to be about two thirds full in my experrience. A little more promotion of the Balaton & they could get up to full in the summer at leat.
Old May 25th 2010, 12:51 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi John, I sent an email but no reply, though I'm not surprised as I can imagine the number of emails that they receive on a daily basis. That's why I thought a petition would gather together all interested parties and can then be presented as a whole to Easyjet. Individual emails might be read but unlikely they will be kept for future consideration. Jenn had the right idea with the Facebook page but unfortunately, many British homeowners here are retirees who do not use facebook.
Old May 25th 2010, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Exclamation Re: Flybalaton

Just to update you I have today signed the petition and will forward this to as many people as I can - I have also added it to my facebook profile and will try to get signatures that way. We also need to put pressure on the Hungarian Tourist Board to promote Balaton more in the UK - many of our friends have never even thought about Hungary as a tourist destination. I will email the Hungarian Tourist Board when back in England as will be travelling to Hungary tomorrow by Easyjet to Budapest - then down the M7 ! Have no email contact in Hungary at the moment but will possibly check at an Internet Cafe later in week. ALL KEEP EMAILING AND GET THAT PETITION OUT TO AS MANY AS YOU CAN. Thanks Jenn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.