Flour

Old Dec 17th 2010, 5:51 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flour

Can anybody tell me the best flour to use here for making cakes, I'm also struggling to make decent yorkshire puddings too, PLEASE help
Old Dec 21st 2010, 4:37 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flour

Sorry, can't help as I thought there was only one type of flour LOL If anyone knows it will be Hotpot.

I know that the one I use is similar to our plain flour so you have to add baking powder and more of it than in the UK. Cakes I don't have a problem with, nor Yorkshires though I am struggling with pastry; rough puff is okay but my shortcrust isn't crumbly
Old Dec 21st 2010, 5:07 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

I have just discovered a good one, well reasonable for pastry, it's in a brown and yellow pack, Lidl sell it, it's BFF55 Buzaretesliszt it makes better pastry but DON'T try it on cakes or Yorkshires, it's quite a coarse flour to touch. I still add baking powder in case though.

Yesterday I made some Pasties and used half and half of this flour and the "BL55 Finomliszt" in the white and blue pack Best I've made here yet
Old Dec 21st 2010, 5:20 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Will give that a try - I use "BL55 Finomliszt" for everything Pizza, bread, cakes, nan breads, you name it and it works for them all - apart from shortcrust pastry. I think the one you mentioned translates as something like strudel flour?? So perhaps it is a pastry flour - it's not the very fine semolina is it?
Old Dec 21st 2010, 5:44 pm

Wow, how's your Nan bread, I have been trying several recipes I found online for months now and have just about given up, I follow them to the letter and they are all rubbish, please please please tell me the secrets.

Nope it's flour I'm sure and I forgot to say, it's got a picture of a pastry cake on the pack front, That's what attracted me to it. It makes a crispier crust surface.

Last edited by anonimouse; Dec 21st 2010 at 5:49 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 8:02 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi, well I have held a couple of curry parties now and they seem to go now well so I guess they must be okay, I think they're good but then I'm biased

My recipe is rather unorthodox, something I have tweaked so that it works for me and I don't weigh anything, I just gauge it. I will make time tomorrow to write it out and post it.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi, well I have held a couple of curry parties now and they seem to go now well so I guess they must be okay, I think they're good but then I'm biased

My recipe is rather unorthodox, something I have tweaked so that it works for me and I don't weigh anything, I just gauge it. I will make time tomorrow to write it out and post it.

Ha ha my kinda cook, just like me thanks can't wait to try it
Old Dec 21st 2010, 8:18 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

I hope it works for you, I tried for years - literally- and was about to give up deciding that I needed a proper clay oven to cook them. Then my daughter told me her Indian flatmate at uni made them perfectly using the dilapidated cooker in halls so I gave it another try and came up with this one

As for weighing, I just don't have the time or the patience and the only time I do is when making pastry; which makes it even more frustrating when it isn't "right"

Well off to spend sometime with my newly arrived daughter
Old Dec 21st 2010, 8:30 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Before I go for the night, I don't suppose you have found suet anywhere? I have been making my own but it's time consuming and messy. Need it for tomorrow as I used the last of my mincemeat making mince pies for the expats party and need to make another batch for the children's fencing club party tomorrow!
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

riahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the rough

I'm far from being the kitchen fairy so I checked a few websites and they say "retesliszt", which translates strudel flour, is good for pastries in which you use yeast. "Finomliszt", which translates fine flour, is used for everything else.

I don't remember the name or the colour of the packet but I saw self raising flour in tesco a few months ago. I think it's the same name, "finomliszt" and it says somewhere on the pack "sutoporral", which means with baking powder. Will have a look next time I go there if I remember.

I would be interested in the naan bread recipe as well, so please post it somewhere, rural when you have it.

Thanks,

Ria
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Before I go for the night, I don't suppose you have found suet anywhere? I have been making my own but it's time consuming and messy. Need it for tomorrow as I used the last of my mincemeat making mince pies for the expats party and need to make another batch for the children's fencing club party tomorrow!
Sorry missed this post last night, I get weaker in the evening and usually go to bed. Anyway I couldn't have helped you out sorry, I have never seen suet here nor do I know how to make it.

Thanks Rhiahun too.

I can't wait to get the recipe I got some natural yogurt in in case it needs that, (some do), some vary, some have yeast others don't None worked for me yet

Last edited by anonimouse; Dec 22nd 2010 at 6:35 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:55 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Mammoth food shop done, managed to get the last turkey at the market! Family are fed, Thai green curry, so while they are now wrapping presents I can hopefully write the recipe. As I said it is slightly unorthodox and you can play about with it to see what suits you.

I use both baking powder and yeast (long story) If you are in a hurry, you can leave the yeast out, double the baking powder and use 2 eggs.

This makes 4 or 5 naan - depending on how big you make them.

1.I use the "BL55 Finomliszt", tip about 3/4 of the bag into a bowl - holding the rest back for rolling and adding when the mixture is a bit wet.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, tablespoon of cumin seeds and tablespoon of nigella seeds (onion seeds) and 1/2 packet stupor - mix together.
3. In a small pot, warm about a mug full of milk, and ermmm a dollop of natural yoghurt or tejfol (I use whatever I have in the fridge) I suppose a dollop is about 2 heaped tablespoons, if runny yoghurt I would guess about 6 or 7 tablespoons. Then add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and warm till tepid. Add 1 pack of dried yeast or 1/2 a block of fresh. You should leave that for about 20 mins but normally I don't have the time
4. Make a well in the flour and add an egg, break the egg up with your fingers or a fork and start mixing in the flour, add the milk mixture gradually to the flour (you can use your hands or a wooden spoon) At this stage you are not aiming for a "dough" rather a bit wetter and sticky. If you need more liquid, just add milk or water as needed.
5. Either flour or lightly oil a bowl big enough for the mix to rise in. Transfer the mix and cover with an oiled piece of cling film. Leave somewhere to rise for 30-60 mins (or longer if you want).
6. Heavily flour your work surface and then tip the mixture from the bowl onto the flour. Start kneading the mix - incorporating flour as you go - you are now aiming for a dough type texture - but not too dry, just enough so that it loses it's stickiness and can be rolled.
7. Cut the dough into 4 or 5 pieces and leave for at least 10 mins. If leaving for more than 30 minutes either cover with a damp, clean tea towel or lightly oil the tops to stop them drying out.
Roll into naan shapes or rounds - careful not to roll them too thin.
8.You are now ready to cook the naans. Prepare yourself by having a small dish of oil or melted butter or ghee and a pastry/basting brush.
9. Turn your grill onto full to preheat. Add a small amount of oil to a frying pan (I use olive) but you can use ghee, sunflower, vegetable oil etc.
10. Take your first naan and ensuring it doesn't have an excess of flour left from when it was rolled, place it in the frying pan. Cook until it has coloured enough for you on the underside - "quickly" brush on a bit of butter, oil or whatever and put the pan under the grill (which should be hot) It should start puffing up very quickly - leave it until it is coloured to your liking. You will soon get to know how close to the grill you need to cook them - how much butter to baste them with. You are aiming for them to cook quickly but not to get so hot that they go hard and crispy.

And voila - naan breads. Once you have done it a couple of times, it doesn't take long and the mix can be prepared early on and left - you can also make a large batch and keep them in the fridge or freeze them.

For peshwari naan, I melt down some creamed coconut, add raisins and almonds (you can use pistachio, cashew etc) I cut each dough portion in 1/2 before rolling out to about half their final size - spread some of the nut mixture onto one of the pieces of dough, cover with the other piece and then roll out and cook as per normal naan.

Now I just need to hope that makes sense and you can follow it If there's anything you don't understand just ask and I hope they work out for you.

PS : if you want a quicker and more sponge like naan : don't add the yeast - add 2 eggs then the milk and yoghurt - leave out the rising time. I don't like these as much but others prefer them.

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Dec 22nd 2010 at 7:58 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 8:41 pm

Wow thank you, all that work I'm sorry, but grateful. I have copied it into word.

I tried to get these Onion seeds before, where do you get them from here? I looked in Tescos and even asked the lady and she showed me onions to plant lol. It can be a nightmare here getting stuff like that.

Thanks again I will definitely try this and report back, it may be in a short while though, But I will try it I have been trying ages. Thanks again and have a wonderful Christmas too.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 8:56 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi anonimouse, you're more than welcome, just hope they work out.
Must admit I get my Nigella from Spices of India in the UK, haven't seen any here and they do make a difference.

Hope you are a lovely time over Xmas

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Dec 22nd 2010 at 9:17 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

riahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for this Rural, you must have spent ages writing this down. Will have to try to get the ingredients and give it a go.

Ria

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.