Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Floor standing boilers

Floor standing boilers

Old Dec 16th 2021, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Floor standing boilers

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Perhaps Peter in Hungary will correct me if I'm wrong but you can't just have any plumber for the installation of gas pipes and combi boiler. I think it has to be someone accredited by the gas supplier. I remember after having my combi boiler and central heating system installed, .
It has to be a person qualified to install gas appliances a bit like the gas safe qualification in the UK. The gas supplier doesn't accredit the fitter, important if you are installing a bottled gas appliance.

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I've seen boilers hidden by cupboards. Like this idea. I'm not sure yet who will install our new kitchen. Might get a friend to do it. Obviously, will have to work closely with the plumber for installation of the gas pipes, H&C water, flue, etc. Think for gas combi I'll go for one to provide Hot water for CH and everyday use. Currently, we're finding the electric immersion heater is not adequate for every day use as wife often says the hot water from the shower isn't hot enough. The immersion heater comes on, I think, four times a day and is controlled by the electricity supplier. I've no idea if there are options to increase the four times. So probably batroom no.1 hot water from new combi, new shower in new extension electric shower.
Oh dear, getting headache thinking about this so will bounce off our ideas with family and friends.
If you are going to put the boiler in a cupboard the I have found it best to get the boiler installed and then build the cupboard around it. That way the plumber has more room to work and you don't have to guess where the pipes will go. For planning the room you don't need more than 5cm each side of the boiler when you build the cupboard.

All combi boilers (combi = combination boiler - combined hot water and heating) do both hot water and heating.

Your immersion heater - controlled by the electric supplier - will have a guaranteed minimum of 8 hours a day but usually about 10 - 12 hours which is over night for most of it with a couple of hours around midday. You can't have the time or frequency of the power provision increased, the only way would be to move the immersion to the day meter and then you loose the cheap rate electricity. (and depending upon your electric circuits you may have loading issues.

Regarding the lack of hot water at the shower, typically houses have a hot water tank of 120 lts (50cm wide 90cm high with a bit sticking out the bottom for electrics). Usually this is enough with over night power and a top up midday. Is your tank smaller than this? Otherwise there may be another problem. When the shower is not hot enough is the kitchen tap the same temperature? It could be a thermostat problem in the hot water tank, check the temp of the water first thing in the morning for a few days to make sure it is working OK and make sure the thermostat knob on the front at the bottom is turned up fully.

Putting an electric shower in the new extension will need a dedicated electric supply from the fuse box and will need a 30 amp supply (at least depending upon type) which means you will need at least 60 amp supply coming from the electric co. otherwise (if you only have the standard 32 amp) you will get circuit breaker tripping every time you try to run anything at the same time as the shower. If your meter box is not of the modern type then this will need an upgrade, about 250,000 huf and the extra power over 32 amps is charged at 5000 huf per amp so another 140,000 huf as a one of payment, plus the electric work to install the shower (it will need dedicated 6mm cabling). If the extension is attached to the house and not too far from the combie (more than 15m - 20m of pipe will mean waiting for the hot water to arrive) then perhaps easier to run the new shower from the combie otherwise it might be easier and cheaper to get a small immersion heater in the extension say 30 or 40 lts which can be plugged into a socket, price about 40,000 huf. Down side it will take about 1 hour before you can have a shower.

Last edited by Rosemary; Dec 16th 2021 at 10:49 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old Dec 17th 2021, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Floor standing boilers

Quick response to above. Tap water is still hot after wife has had a shower ...didn't think of this but whenever I've needed to wash my hands late at night hot watercis still hot! Probably a mixer taps issue?