British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Finally bought a house! And we got the CSOK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/finally-bought-house-we-got-csok-919032/)

jetsam1 Nov 5th 2018 6:42 pm

Finally bought a house! And we got the CSOK

Bought a house. Finally. Actually built of brick and far out of the village enough for the bees and we still have mains gas and electricity. Got a little forest and decent outbuildings to go with it too and it is a house and udvar on the land registry. Half the price of anything comparable and the in laws all gave it the thumbs up. Has been lived by the same lady for 40 odd years and just needs fairly basic modernisation.

And we got the CSOK for two children. A bit of running about and paperwork but it isn`t too onerous but be aware there is a service charge from the bank and a charge for their estate agent valuer to come out and check the property. All the paperwork gets checked, identities etc but the process was around two weeks in total for us. The house purchase has taken about a month and a fair bit of that was transferring the property from being a Tanya to a lakashaz. It has genuinely delighted and surprised me at how smooth and quick it has been.

Also with the CSOK I am obliged by law not to sell or move from the house for 10 years. So, next March could be interesting.........

Anyway, delighted and relieved am I!!!

tooboocoo Nov 5th 2018 7:31 pm

Re: Finally bought a house! And we got the CSOK

Congrats, well done! Do you mind sharing the location?

wolfi Nov 5th 2018 7:54 pm

Congratulations from here too!
And " transferring the property from being a Tanya to a lakashaz " is really good for you and important - we just had the case of a friend whose summerhouse wasn't accepted as a real house, one reason being that the rooms are not high enough ...

GBA77 Nov 6th 2018 1:18 pm

Congrats to the OP.

Assume you going to be doing some/all the work yourself? If you do, how will the ole elbow/s hold out or do you have a plan for that like letting the Mrs swing the hammer and you hold the chisel?

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella Nov 6th 2018 4:52 pm

Good news. Say what else you like about Viktor Orban, this CSOK policy has really got the housing market moving & is helping the economy very directly. In our village, there are new build houses going up everywhere you turn. We've been there 20 years and it's never been anything like as active as this. Empty plots that have been on the market for years are now selling fast. We're within medium easy commuting distance of BP with a HEV line not that far away if you don't fancy driving all the way in, so that must help enormously.

You could try & counter that Orban's buying votes - maybe so, but buying votes with a popular policy by helping young-ish families buy a house. There are so many younger couples in the UK who despair of ever being able to do that. Let alone a decent family house with a big garden!

There's something about owning your own house and a nice big chunk of land that makes you feel at one with the world. No longer at the whim of errant landlords - no more misery as a tenant.

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella Nov 6th 2018 4:55 pm

Hungary’s family home-creation scheme has helped 81,000 families in its first three years.

Hungary’s family home-creation scheme (CSOK) has helped 81,000 families in its first three years, it has been revealed.

According to State secretary Katalin Novák, the scheme helped families “create the conditions for having and raising children”.

Novák revealed that grants totaling 232 billion HUF (726m EUR) have been paid out to families in the scheme so far, and an even higher amount, 242 billion HUF, is being allocated for the same purpose in next year’s budget.

According to MTI, the state secretary said that the program has met its purpose of boosting construction, noting that the number of completed homes had increased by 30 percent in a single year.

Peter_in_Hungary Nov 6th 2018 4:56 pm

Congrats on getting the house and the grant.
When I heard about the CSOK it was for families with 3 kids - have they changed the rules or do you have some work to do !!!

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella Nov 6th 2018 4:59 pm

My Hungarian nephew got married this summer - we were there - he & his wife are 28 and in fairly low-paid jobs/ just starting out after university. He's a company man working his way up and his wife's a newly-qualified hospital doctor - so neither is on big money. They are also going down the CSOK route and looking to do a new build in commuter land. How many 28-year-old couples in the UK could say the same?

Szeged Nov 6th 2018 6:29 pm

This article from 2016, and even what I have heard these days, is that (like the article states) you do not necessarily need 3 kids - having less kids will just mean less of a loan:

About Hungary - Putting Families at the Core: the Family Housing Support Program (CSOK)

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella Nov 6th 2018 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Szeged (Post 12589154)
This article from 2016, and even what I have heard these days, is that (like the article states) you do not necessarily need 3 kids - having less kids will just mean less of a loan:

About Hungary - Putting Families at the Core: the Family Housing Support Program (CSOK)

Clearly encourages 3+ kids. I remember when we told my Hungarian bro in law that my wife was expecting our third child, he got quite petulant/ genuinely angry about it, saying 2 was enough for anybody (same as them) and what the hell were we thinking lol

Our opposite neighbours (both doctors) in the village have 7 kids!

jetsam1 Nov 6th 2018 6:59 pm

Two is enough!! Definately enough!!! I`m 36 and my wife is 40 so it is hard to cope with a 2 year old and a 5 year old as it is............!

We went for the two child CSOK on a used house which is 1.4 million HUF. This is a full rewire, paint, modernisation of heating and part of the kitchen. So not bad. This one is a grant administered by the bank and they were really good from the start even though we weren`t taking any loans out with them. The 10 + 10 is 10 ,million grant on 10 million loan for a new build. Best thing is no more renting. So we can concentrate on what we are supposed to be doing.

I cannot tell you just how much of a relief it is and the level of stress that has been removed for us just knowing we own something outright. Just impatient now as it will be a month or so to get the jobs done and get moved in. My Brother in Law has got some time free to do the building work and roof checks (he is a builder) and various contacts from Budapest have agreed to come down sort the rest of the work out (electrics, plumbing etc). Wish we had just asked earlier but all trades are working flat out it seems....... Have a nice space for the bees and plenty of work space with even some garden left for the kids to play in.... :lol:

My elbow is getting better and just hurts if a fully extend it now so a big improvement. I can use a hammer without agony! We looked at this house a year ago and we don`t understand why we just didn`t go for it at the time.

It`s strange, for the first time I actually feel I am almost an adult......... Oh and the few neighbours we have are Swiss, Austrian and Italian. It is REALLY quiet, and 2 KM or so from the main road which is a quiet bit anyway. So perfect.Just accross the border into the next village so we even get a much better school and ovoda too. And a Bugac address.

Even "inherited" a kitten. Just turned up one day and I have been making friends with it. Can stroke it now and it will like me up until the point I take it to the vet no doubt. But a nice little, well quite big now, kitten. Plays nicely with our adult cat too. So it will be coming with us too I think!

jetsam1 Nov 6th 2018 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by GBA77 (Post 12588959)
Congrats to the OP.

Assume you going to be doing some/all the work yourself? If you do, how will the ole elbow/s hold out or do you have a plan for that like letting the Mrs swing the hammer and you hold the chisel?

Happy Wife = Happy Life.....

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella Nov 6th 2018 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by jetsam1 (Post 12589178)
Two is enough!!

Well I wouldn't have minded 10 mill grant & a cheap 10 mill loan back in 2000! :)

wolfi Nov 7th 2018 6:36 am

Jetsam, congratulations!
To have family members willing to help is a very good thing in these times when it's so difficult to find qualified workers ...
We also "adopted" a cat, don't know where it lived before and luckily our tomcat has no problems with the newcomerwhich doesn't come into the house, just waits for food outside.

jetsam1 Nov 21st 2018 4:48 am

It is a nice feeling when the tradesmen complain that the bricks and mortar are too hard!! THe house is the old style small bricks with serious mortar holding them together and everything is very, very solid. To the point the new wiring tracks are well behind schedule....... As always there are a few issues but nothing hopefully serious. I think we got really lucky finding this house for the price and hopefully it is the last house we will move to. Burning through the savings a little bit but things cost what they cost and it needs a decent kitchen. Well I want a decent kitchen. After we have moved in that will be it for a good long while. Just want to calm down and sort out the business as the stress have been getting a bit too much over the last few years.

For reference always be clear that you want everything cleared out.

Clearing the old summer kitchen........... One Wild Boar skin, ok, lots of hunting nearby and they can be eaten. One Fox skin, chicken protection programme? Ok, not outside the realms of total awfulness.

Underneath................... Cat skin. Wut? Who does that???!!!!

We had to stop and go away for a bit!!!