British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   EU customs duty? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/eu-customs-duty-901250/)

hirschhs Aug 6th 2017 11:50 am

EU customs duty?

An old friend in Germany is moving back to the US after many years. He offered me a mini projector which he bought in Germany a couple of years ago and which he knows will be useful to me. I accepted gratefully. He posted it, insured and registered, to me in Hungary.
It has been held at customs here for about 3 weeks while they demand a payment for importation! But I thought within the EU there were no such charges... Of course you can't actually SPEAK to a human being in the customs dept!
Can anyone enlighten me?

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 6th 2017 12:23 pm

Re: EU customs duty?

Originally Posted by hirschhs (Post 12310543)
An old friend in Germany is moving back to the US after many years. He offered me a mini projector which he bought in Germany a couple of years ago and which he knows will be useful to me. I accepted gratefully. He posted it, insured and registered, to me in Hungary.
It has been held at customs here for about 3 weeks while they demand a payment for importation! But I thought within the EU there were no such charges... Of course you can't actually SPEAK to a human being in the customs dept!
Can anyone enlighten me?

As puzzled as you are! We have (predictably) paid duty on goods from the US but never from within the EU. Sorry, doesn't really help you.

hirschhs Aug 6th 2017 12:35 pm

It's weird. After all, I could drive into Germany, buy such an item and drive home with no let or hindrance! But posting seems to attract a tax!

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 6th 2017 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by hirschhs (Post 12310580)
It's weird. After all, I could drive into Germany, buy such an item and drive home with no let or hindrance! But posting seems to attract a tax!

Exactly.Is there something in the documentation / packaging that has confused them?

BritInParis Aug 6th 2017 6:30 pm

Perhaps something your friend wrote on the package made customs think it originated in the US? A US return address perhaps?

hirschhs Aug 6th 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks for responding, no, there's no error on the package comments and we have the tracking number from Germany, as of course, do the customs authority!

BritInParis Aug 6th 2017 7:44 pm

Unless it's not customs who wants payment but Magyar Posta? If it is customs and they've contacted you by post then respond stating that the package originated from within the EU and therefore you understand there is no duty to be paid.