Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

ERSTE - BIC and IBAN

ERSTE - BIC and IBAN

Old Jun 18th 2020, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default ERSTE - BIC and IBAN

My wife needs to make an internation transfer to her sister. Acording to her sister the account account combines both the IBAN and BIC as one long number!

She has been given two numbers and I have asked which is the IBAN and BIC but the response I get is the two numbers combined is the bank account no.!

As it's a significant amount of money I'm not keen to assist my wife in making the transfer!

Help!
Old Jun 18th 2020, 10:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ERSTE - BIC and IBAN

FT - I can't help you with Erste as I bank with OTP but looking at my details the IBAN & BIC are separate entries - & the IBAN incorporates my account number in the middle.

If you using an FX dealer I would think they could advise you further.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
FT - I can't help you with Erste as I bank with OTP but looking at my details the IBAN & BIC are separate entries - & the IBAN incorporates my account number in the middle.

If you using an FX dealer I would think they could advise you further.
Thanks - it's what I keep telling my wife but her sister doesn't know either! Originally her sister transferred to money to my wife's bank account and now my wife wants to transfer some of it back.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

IBAN and BIC are 2 different numbers You will need both
IBAN stands for International Bank Account Number.
BIC (Bank Identifier Code) identifies the beneficiary's bank

The BIC is/can be replaced by the sort code for UK banking within the BACS system (BACS = UK Bankers Automated Clearing System)

Your printed bank statements should have the numbers on it.

Sorry about the alphabet soup
Old Jun 18th 2020, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary

The BIC is/can be replaced by the sort code for UK banking within the BACS system (BACS = UK Bankers Automated Clearing System)

Looks like it's the BIC we need.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary

Looks like it's the BIC we need. Think I have got it now. There's a SWIFT code and wife's sister had sent this. God forbid if we get it all wrong. Someone in Hungary will think WOW - how kind of the UK to give me that much money!

Last edited by FenTiger; Jun 18th 2020 at 11:25 am.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

The Swift code and the BIC are the same thing, Swift stands for Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication and they manage the BIC (Bank Identifier Code) The two terms are used interchangeably and are designed to confuse.

If I can remember correctly the IBAN contains 1 or 2 check digits which are a number obtained by applying a rolling formula to the preceding numbers to generate an additional number which is inserted as an extra number. Change any of the preceding numbers and the value of the extra number will change so transcription errors are easy to find. This should give you a warm feeling about the money not going to the wrong place because of a writing or typing error.

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Jun 18th 2020 at 3:12 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

I didn't actually understand what 'SWIFT' meant. It's a bird as far as I'm concerned!
Old Jun 18th 2020, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

All done. We got so far and then there was a line for the street name which my wife didn't have so my wife ended up frantically calling her sister to ask for it. We almost got kicked out twice because of waiting for her to respond. I hate making payments via bank transfers because it's so important the correct sort code and account no. are input. It only takes one mistake!