Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

EON New regulation

EON New regulation

Old May 14th 2013, 5:18 pm
  #16  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Badacsonytördemic
Posts: 34
mr87009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EON New regulation

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary View Post
Hi Matt, I would double check on the "EON pay for it". EON will only upgrade to 32 amp free of charge, you pay per amp above the 32 but an EON registered electrician still has to request the upgrade and charges for the consumer unit, fitting the new box and connecting to the meter once EON has fitted it. With the new underground system, there is also an extra fee for the underground work. Wondering if you are having a rewire at the same time and the fitter has factored the cost into the job price.
If you have an inside meter then this would be moved to the outside anyhow as legally they must now be on the outside of the property. It used to be that from the meter onwards was the responsibility of the consumer though now it will be from the connector box in the garden - similar to the gas whereby EON are responsible up to the point of the gas box but the consumer is responsible beyond this point.
Hi Rural, Well my Hungarian friend who is arranging it all said he was sure I wouldn't have to pay - we'll see and I'll advise what happens!!!

Matt
mr87009 is offline  
Old May 14th 2013, 5:28 pm
  #17  
I bite my thumb at thee
Thread Starter
 
Rural Hungary's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,479
Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EON New regulation

Hi Matt, unless he has a very good "contact" you have to pay. The price per amp, over 32, is on the EON website and EON don't fit consumer units etc. The only way it would be free is if it was a meter due for replacement and they agree to change it to 32 amp at the same time. We have done about 20 upgrades now and a master is always required.
Do you know how many amps you are upgrading to?
Rural Hungary is offline  
Old May 14th 2013, 5:58 pm
  #18  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Badacsonytördemic
Posts: 34
mr87009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EON New regulation

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary View Post
Hi Matt, I would double check on the "EON pay for it". EON will only upgrade to 32 amp free of charge, you pay per amp above the 32 but an EON registered electrician still has to request the upgrade and charges for the consumer unit, fitting the new box and connecting to the meter once EON has fitted it. With the new underground system, there is also an extra fee for the underground work. Wondering if you are having a rewire at the same time and the fitter has factored the cost into the job price.
If you have an inside meter then this would be moved to the outside anyhow as legally they must now be on the outside of the property. It used to be that from the meter onwards was the responsibility of the consumer though now it will be from the connector box in the garden - similar to the gas whereby EON are responsible up to the point of the gas box but the consumer is responsible beyond this point.
Originally Posted by Rural Hungary View Post
Hi Matt, unless he has a very good "contact" you have to pay. The price per amp, over 32, is on the EON website and EON don't fit consumer units etc. The only way it would be free is if it was a meter due for replacement and they agree to change it to 32 amp at the same time. We have done about 20 upgrades now and a master is always required.
Do you know how many amps you are upgrading to?
Hi Rural,

We're upgrading to 2 x 32amp from 1 x 20amp.

The meter is due for replacement as well.

To quote what I've been told: "The electricity company only brings the meter and hooks it up to the pre-installed box. But at least they provide the metre for free and will also bore the hole under the street for free."

Matt
mr87009 is offline  
Old May 14th 2013, 6:26 pm
  #19  
I bite my thumb at thee
Thread Starter
 
Rural Hungary's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,479
Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EON New regulation

Originally Posted by mr87009 View Post
Hi Rural,

We're upgrading to 2 x 32amp from 1 x 20amp.

The meter is due for replacement as well.

To quote what I've been told: "The electricity company only brings the meter and hooks it up to the pre-installed box. But at least they provide the metre for free and will also bore the hole under the street for free."

Matt
That's right, they supply the meter and do the work their side for free. The meter box, consumer unit, extra amp and all work client side is paid for by the consumer and a master has to sign for the work - cost is usually between 80-110,000ft depending on what is to be done. I'm sure you have already done so but worth mentioning getting an electrician to check the house wiring if it's an old house or has aluminum wiring.
Rural Hungary is offline  
Old May 15th 2013, 3:14 am
  #20  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Badacsonytördemic
Posts: 34
mr87009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EON New regulation

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary View Post
That's right, they supply the meter and do the work their side for free. The meter box, consumer unit, extra amp and all work client side is paid for by the consumer and a master has to sign for the work - cost is usually between 80-110,000ft depending on what is to be done. I'm sure you have already done so but worth mentioning getting an electrician to check the house wiring if it's an old house or has aluminum wiring.
Ah my mistake then I thought you were implying that the consumer would have to pay for the road to be dug up etc. Yes I'm expecting to pay for all the work in the house. The house is all being rewired so shouldn't be any nasty surprises

Matt
mr87009 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.