Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Entry to Hungary

Entry to Hungary

Old Jun 21st 2020, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry to Hungary

Originally Posted by Expatrick
I recall that somebody in this forum posted a while ago that people were being deported from the airport. Don't think that will happen to you as you are married to a Hungarian.
Luckily I've got a Hungarian transalation of the marriage certificate!

Old Jun 21st 2020, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
The regulations above say who is allowed in
  • Hungarian nationals,
  • EU nationals and nationals of EEA member states and Switzerland (excluding UK),
  • third country family members of the above mentioned persons,
Which means that your wife is allowed in (as Hungarian) and you as a 'family member of the above mentioned' are also allowed in. At worst I could envisage a 2 week quarantine in your place of stay and where such quarantine has been imposed the police have made periodic checks to see if it is being kept. Whilst things may change in the next few weeks the regulations across Europe seem to be getting easier
That's how I read it as well! The reason for the exclusion of the UK (and Sweden) has always been given as being due to the high number of new Covid-19 cases. My personal opinion is that people are reading too much into this ruling!
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Things are progressing well for our move to Hungary but we seem to be on a continious circle of two steps forward and one back. The buyers solicitor is a bit slow on the uptake. We plan what we will do for the day and something comes up. We have just been let down by a friend who wanted some cabinets back which I bought off him years ago. He no longer wants them and I wish he had told me a month ago! But I was really impressed with my local council's hazardous waste contractor who was very, very helpful. Only thing is they can't collect until 10-14 days time! The service was free so I should not complain!
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Benny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
That's how I read it as well! The reason for the exclusion of the UK (and Sweden) has always been given as being due to the high number of new Covid-19 cases. My personal opinion is that people are reading too much into this ruling!
It looks like that is the reason, but looking at https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/HUN it seems odd that Hungarians can come from UK unrestricted but UK visitors may need to isolate for 14 days.
This does not apply to the United Kingdom; UK citizens may only enter Hungary with separate permission, and subject to individual assessment may be obliged to enter quarantine for two weeks, while Hungarian citizens returning from the UK are allowed to enter Hungary without any restriction.​​​​​​
Travel by road might be difficult as well...
Austria's borders are open to EU, EFTA (European Free Trade Association) and EEA (European Economic Area) countries, with the exception of Sweden, United Kingdom, Spain and Portugal.
​​​​​​
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Entry to Hungary

Originally Posted by Benny Kovacs
It looks like that is the reason, but looking at https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/HUN it seems odd that Hungarians can come from UK unrestricted but UK visitors may need to isolate for 14 days.

Travel by road might be difficult as well...

​​​​​​
Maybe the thinking is that Hungarians coming from the UK will be going home to family, whereas UK visitors will be mainly tourists who will be travelling around the country, sightseeing, eating in restaurants and staying in hotels etc? Just a thought!
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benny Kovacs
It looks like that is the reason, but looking at https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/HUN it seems odd that Hungarians can come from UK unrestricted but UK visitors may need to isolate for 14 days.​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Sachina
Maybe the thinking is that Hungarians coming from the UK will be going home to family, whereas UK visitors will be mainly tourists who will be travelling around the country, sightseeing, eating in restaurants and staying in hotels etc? Just a thought!
Under international law a country can not deport its own nationals nor can it prevent its own nationals from entering the country. Other nationalities can be excluded or welcomed at a whim. (Additional rules for dual nationals).
The European countries that Hungary has excluded (UK Spain Italy and Sweden) without special permission are all those with high covid problems (or IMO those who have made a mess of controlling the virus !!)
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thumbs up Re: Entry to Hungary

Under international law a country can not deport its own nationals nor can it prevent its own nationals from entering the country. Other nationalities can be excluded or welcomed at a whim. (Additional rules for dual nationals).
The European countries that Hungary has excluded (UK Spain Italy and Sweden) without special permission are all those with high covid problems (or IMO those who have made a mess of controlling the virus !!)
Quite right.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Denmark, Finland and Norway have also closed their borders to Sweden due to their high rate of infection.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/22/w...f823e3f801ef47

Sweden Tries Out a New Status: Pariah State

Fearing the country’s lax approach to combating the coronavirus, Sweden’s Scandinavian neighbors have all closed their borders to Swedes.

Old Jun 24th 2020, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

It is necessary for Brits wishing to enter Hungary to ask for exemption from the restrictions due to covid-19. the request can be made on line although for obvious reasons I have not tried it - however if you need to make the request click on the link below and off you go!
Méltányossági kérelem Magyarországra történő ... - Police.hu
The third option tells you about the process in English, however you need the first option Link/Letöltés click on NOVA This takes you to a page where you start by proving you are not a robot, having got through that hurdle you are taken to a page to start filling in details. All in Hungarian, The form that you will be filling in at this point is called COVID-02

If any one goes through this and is successful please post here to give others encouragement !!
Old Jun 24th 2020, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

It is necessary for Brits wishing to enter Hungary to ask for exemption from the restrictions due to covid-19. the request can be made on line although for obvious reasons I have not tried it - however if you need to make the request once in your web browser enter
covid-02 űrlap
and select
Méltányossági kérelem Magyarországra történő ... - Police.hu
The third option tells you about the process in English, however you need the first option Link/Letöltés click on NOVA This takes you to a page where you start by proving you are not a robot, having got through that hurdle you are taken to a page to start filling in details. All in Hungarian, The form that you will be filling in at this point is called COVID-02

If any one goes through this and is successful please post here to give others encouragement !!
My sister-in-law made enquiries about this and according to the person she spoke to I do not need to fill in the form because I am the spouse of a Hungarian citizen. But your post says different.

I have tried filling in the Nova form but can't get past the border crossing option. As I can't fill that in an error message stops any further information being input. DO you mind who informed you about this?

Old Jun 24th 2020, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

As per above:
Place of Entry: See pics. The options do not go beyond 'B'. This is the problem.

Last edited by FenTiger; Jun 24th 2020 at 12:09 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

This video shows you what happens when you use the NOVA version! It won't go beyond 'B'.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...3nuYH_OR20JMm0
Old Jun 24th 2020, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Benny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
As per above:
Place of Entry: See pics. The options do not go beyond 'B'. This is the problem.

​​​​​​
Start typing in the box and the selections change
Old Jun 24th 2020, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have found the answer to the border crossing.
Type in:
Liszt Ferenc Nemzetközi Repülőtér 2/B terminál or whichever terminal you are flying to.

Someone on the FB Hungarian group only just mentioned this. Steam coming out of my ears.
Old Jun 27th 2020, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Lates UK government advice on entry to Hungary:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements

"UK nationals who are family members of EEA citizens do not need to pre-register and can enter Hungary without restrictions.".

Last edited by FenTiger; Jun 27th 2020 at 6:35 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.