Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

English TV in Hungary

English TV in Hungary

Old May 11th 2017, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Razorbite101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English TV in Hungary

Much as I love watching TV here in the UK, when we make the move over full time,it was my intention to watch Hungarian TV(with subtitles) as an aide to learning the language.
Old May 11th 2017, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't learn via subtitles because your brain will be busy reading the English subtitles and not concentrating on the spoken words. Your best bet is to learn via apps first, such as duolingo, 6,000 words, etc and then listen to the Hungarian TV only. After picking up a few words and sentences via apps and tv you should be able to ask questions in public (i.e. in the shops - Mennyi Kerül, Szeretnék Egy..., etc).
Old May 11th 2017, 8:04 pm
it's not true!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Szeged View Post
I wouldn't learn via subtitles because your brain will be busy reading the English subtitles and not concentrating on the spoken words. Your best bet is to learn via apps first, such as duolingo, 6,000 words, etc and then listen to the Hungarian TV only. After picking up a few words and sentences via apps and tv you should be able to ask questions in public (i.e. in the shops - Mennyi Kerül, Szeretnék Egy..., etc).
I absolutely agree with this!
Old May 11th 2017, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

GBA77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sz is correct.

However having been to 1 or 2 countries in the past, I have always felt that if you try to speak the going language, the locals appreciate it and try and help you pronounce words correctly and most can guess at what you are trying to say.

Many Hungarians do not seem so accommodating and look at you with a sort of blank expression as if to say WTF! Many don't seem willing to encourage verbal dialogue even if your/mine pronunciation is cra..p.

The little Hungarian TV I do get to see, does not seem all that great (to me in any event) so I could never use that as a medium for learning the lingo. I am concentrating on short sentences and phrases.

Friday night after being at the local for a few hours helps a lot and the locals seem to understand me quiet well then.

GBA
Old May 11th 2017, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GBA77 View Post
Friday night after being at the local for a few hours helps a lot and the locals seem to understand me quiet well then.
GBA
Yes - my singing would improve after a few hours in the local
Old May 12th 2017, 8:27 am
it's not true!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GBA77 View Post
Sz is correct.

However having been to 1 or 2 countries in the past, I have always felt that if you try to speak the going language, the locals appreciate it and try and help you pronounce words correctly and most can guess at what you are trying to say.

Many Hungarians do not seem so accommodating and look at you with a sort of blank expression as if to say WTF! Many don't seem willing to encourage verbal dialogue even if your/mine pronunciation is cra..p.

The little Hungarian TV I do get to see, does not seem all that great (to me in any event) so I could never use that as a medium for learning the lingo. I am concentrating on short sentences and phrases.

GBA
What we find in the city is that because so many (particularly young) Hungarians speak English & recognise us as being English from a kilometre away we confuse the hell out of them when we start to speak Hungarian! Of course many of the locals want to practice their English - which doesn't help us to learn Hungarian.
Old May 12th 2017, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

FenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really nice

The Hungarian TV programmes I have watched on TV had subtitles in Hungarian which I think is a good way to learn Hungarian. The same time you hear the words you can read it on the TV and gradually build up your vocabulary. I had a French friend who came to England to work and learnt English watching English TV programmes with subtitles.
Old May 13th 2017, 10:33 am
it's not true!

I have been using DuoLingo for the last week and it's quite good, particularly for revision. However what bugs me with this & other apps is the constant use of silly phrases "we are not lawyers, we are men" or "he does not paint politicians" - I wish the phrases were a bit more relevant to daily use!
Old May 13th 2017, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

FenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really nice

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
I have been using DuoLingo for the last week and it's quite good, particularly for revision. However what bugs me with this & other apps is the constant use of silly phrases "we are not lawyers, we are men" or "he does not paint politicians" - I wish the phrases were a bit more relevant to daily use!
I thought that's how Hungarians speak?
Old May 31st 2017, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

vorsman is an unknown quantity at this point

Here we go again. You all want UK tv but are going to all sorts of silly lengths to avoid paying for it. Film On gives you what you want with no problems. If you have a Kodi box you can route it through this rather than your lap top.

They have decided to charge for it now and this yearly charge is less than the UK TV Licence. So where is everyone's problem with this it's an even trade.

Skinflints the lot of you.
Old May 31st 2017, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

enter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vorsman View Post
Here we go again. You all want UK tv but are going to all sorts of silly lengths to avoid paying for it. Film On gives you what you want with no problems. If you have a Kodi box you can route it through this rather than your lap top.

They have decided to charge for it now and this yearly charge is less than the UK TV Licence. So where is everyone's problem with this it's an even trade.

Skinflints the lot of you.
Supa dupa I whole-heartedly agree,within hours of the change I paid,big deal, and am satisfied, everyone is banging on and on,the joke is that 99.9% here, its pocket money, the more they have the tighter they are,sad
Old May 31st 2017, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

OK I understand your views but I watch about 4-5 hours a month of UK TV having selected the interesting (to me) shows, so that makes the film on expensive / hour - especially when you compare it to the Hungarian licence fee (none)

Oh and I do subscribe to UPC sat. TV

And I have joined https://robssatellitetv.com/ for which you have to register and there will be a charge but much cheaper than filmon
Old Jun 1st 2017, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
You wait until you get the sentence about "Do you see those dizzy apples"!!!!

A good alternative to Duolingo is - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...book.hungarian - Learn 5,000 phrases. It is from the same people who made 6,000 words. Their format makes learning HU easier, IMHO.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 6:30 pm
it's not true!

You wait until you get the sentence about "Do you see those dizzy apples"!!!!

A good alternative to Duolingo is - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...book.hungarian - Learn 5,000 phrases. It is from the same people who made 6,000 words. Their format makes learning HU easier, IMHO.
Had that one yesterday, also "the kindergarten teachers are flying over the mountains" & today's which was especially apt "Are you barking"!

Thanks also for the link, appreciated.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

GBA77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not bad!

LiveTV.sc | Sky Sports Football Live Streaming

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement