British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   English TV in Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/english-tv-hungary-663194/)

klarika Jun 1st 2012 12:05 pm

Re: English TV in Hungary

Originally Posted by SteveandGalina (Post 10094544)
Yes please the ADSL guys phone number would be great - does he speak English?

Do you actually still get ITV and BBC??? We cannot get either! If so then how big is your dish, maybe ours is too small.

Have sent you a PM

Rural Hungary Jun 1st 2012 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by klarika (Post 10094254)
I find the problem with watching TV online is it always dependent on the weather
sometimes you can be watching something and it stops or has a little ring going around in the middle of the screen. But having said that if it is the only way we can get ITV and BBC then we just have to put up with it I suppose.

If you have adsl through your phoneline, the weather shouldn't affect it - it's only when you are on wireless that there is a problem. Buffering is usually caused by a slow connection or if the VPN server is oversubscribed.

Are you with T-Home?

Rural Hungary Jun 1st 2012 4:50 pm

It would appear that a 1.9 or 2.4 meter dish can receive the channels - a couple of Brits have said that they can still receive them and these are the dish sizes they are using.

SteveandGalina Jun 1st 2012 5:01 pm

Not sure that I would like a large dish on the roof because of the high winds we experience every now and then for a few days at a time - but on the other hand our garden is not that huge that we could 'hide' a large dish on the ground - we only currently have a small dish, probably an 80 cms so it seems like we may be stuck!

:unsure:

klarika Jun 1st 2012 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 10095095)
It would appear that a 1.9 or 2.4 meter dish can receive the channels - a couple of Brits have said that they can still receive them and these are the dish sizes they are using.

Do you know where you can buy these size dishes?

klarika Jun 5th 2012 11:45 am

Does anyone know where you buy a large Dish?

Rural Hungary Jun 5th 2012 12:19 pm

Hfctechnics
or phone the local suppliers who should be able to order one.

klarika Jun 5th 2012 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 10101035)
Hfctechnics
or phone the local suppliers who should be able to order one.

Thanks I will try them

The Guy Jun 5th 2012 7:39 pm

But remember that the 3 Astra 2 satellites that currently provide UK satellite TV are scheduled to be replaced with 3 new satellites, the first replacement is expected to be launched in Q4 2012.

It may well be that if you but a much bigger dish today, it may be worthless in receiveing channels you want it to by the end of next year.

Rural Hungary Jun 6th 2012 7:50 am

I'm so pleased I don't have satelitte :sneaky:

3m dishes, chance of new dishes later in the year, 3 beam - which beam...... :confused:

klarika Jun 6th 2012 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by The Guy (Post 10102006)
But remember that the 3 Astra 2 satellites that currently provide UK satellite TV are scheduled to be replaced with 3 new satellites, the first replacement is expected to be launched in Q4 2012.

It may well be that if you but a much bigger dish today, it may be worthless in receiveing channels you want it to by the end of next year.

So really your best holding off buying a large dish then you think?

The Guy Jun 6th 2012 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by klarika (Post 10103699)
So really your best holding off buying a large dish then you think?

Like i said: It may well be that if you buy a much bigger dish today, it may be worthless in receiveing channels you want it to by the end of next year

FenTiger Jun 13th 2012 11:32 am

How much would a 1.8m dish cost in Hungary? I don't live there at moment but is my long term aim. Have looked up costs on UK websites. Gee - £2,500 is that right? Or am I looking for the wrong kind!

OGSG Jun 13th 2012 11:38 am

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 10116452)
How much would a 1.8m dish cost in Hungary? I don't live there at moment but is my long term aim. Have looked up costs on UK websites. Gee - £2,500 is that right? Or am I looking for the wrong kind!

I found dishes from £599.95

FenTiger Jun 14th 2012 11:31 am

Originally Posted by OGSG (Post 10116469)
I found dishes from £599.95

What size would that buy? I've seen the smaller dishes here in the UK being sold for just £20 .... not sure which brand they are.