Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

English TV in Hungary

English TV in Hungary

Old Feb 1st 2012, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English TV in Hungary

Originally Posted by John Gilbert
For those that miss the easy Astra access to BBC News

You can watch BBC World News on

www.livestation.com/channels/10-bbc-world-news-english

(not accessible in the UK)

if you have a good broadband connection.
Out of curiosity is it possible to get subtitles? Something I need to know about because long term plan is to move to Hungary and being deaf it's something I rely on!
Old Feb 1st 2012, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Out of curiosity is it possible to get subtitles? Something I need to know about because long term plan is to move to Hungary and being deaf it's something I rely on!
Not sure myself as it's via the Internet. But Sky is available with subtitles and you can still get BBC (UK) News but you need a bigger dish now.

This is BBC World News that was being talked about in the last few posts of this thread.

Hungarian sat TV packages also offer BBC World News, not sure about the subtitles though.

OK just checked LiveStaion with UK News livestream - no subtitles available there, sorry. http://www.livestation.com/bbc-news

Last edited by OGSG; Feb 1st 2012 at 11:43 am.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OGSG
Not sure myself as it's via the Internet. But Sky is available with subtitles and you can still get BBC (UK) News but you need a bigger dish now.

This is BBC World News that was being talked about in the last few posts of this thread.

Hungarian sat TV packages also offer BBC World News, not sure about the subtitles though.

OK just checked LiveStaion with UK News livestream - no subtitles available there, sorry. http://www.livestation.com/bbc-news
I will have to do some more research into being able to access subtitles via Satellite in Hungary! :-(

Mind you it won't be the end of the world if I can't access subtitles ..... I'll have to play scrabble with the wife and since we have been together it's 50/50 between us ..... but if we play the Hungarian version I'm sure she will thrash me!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 11:43 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone share their experience on big dishes for Astra 2D near the Balaton. There seems to be a huge price differential, the cheapest I have seen being the one Maplin ( & others) sell at about £190. Others seem to cost £1,000's & on that basis I will be watching Hungarian TV!

I wonder if anyone has views & experience they could share? Could large dishes be cheaper in Hungary? Do the cheaper ones work? Is reception ok with a 1.8 dish or a 2.4 dish?

I am not obsessed by TV but it would be good to have it for the cold winter evenings - though not at any price!

All the best
Old Feb 6th 2012, 12:11 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Fentiger, subtitles are available on freeview, Sky etc If UK package they will be in English but if Hungarian satellite then they will be in Hungarian. This tells you how to active it on Sky

John, I did post some links for somebody a while back in reference to stockists of large disks (though I might have PM'd them and as soon as I get time to come up for breath of air, I'll search through my PM's) if memory serves me well, they had quite a bit of information on them. I know several people have tried and failed though I also know of somebody with a dish that they describe as being "just over a metre" and they can get all channels except BBC. Hit and miss I think Of course, there is always the internet....
Old Feb 6th 2012, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by John Gilbert
Can anyone share their experience on big dishes for Astra 2D near the Balaton. There seems to be a huge price differential, the cheapest I have seen being the one Maplin ( & others) sell at about £190. Others seem to cost £1,000's & on that basis I will be watching Hungarian TV!
I wonder if anyone has views & experience they could share? Could large dishes be cheaper in Hungary? Do the cheaper ones work? Is reception ok with a 1.8 dish or a 2.4 dish?
I am not obsessed by TV but it would be good to have it for the cold winter evenings - though not at any price!
All the best
And if I remember further back in this thread there were some reports on fta (free to air) reception with either a Sky receiver or fta receiver and different dish sizes and a warning to stay clear of certain installers. It may also depend on your location in Hiungary.
Of course bigger dishes can be placed in the garden and do not necessarily need to be on your roof.
BTW Sky News & BBC World News are also on Astra 19.2.
Old May 30th 2012, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough
Default ITV

Is anybody having problems with ITV? had it this morning and now gone
Old May 30th 2012, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

SteveandGalina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ITV

Unfortunately it seems that ITV has moved to a different frequency which we can no longer get in Hungary on a standard dish. Not sure if getting a larger dish would help or whether it's just gone altogether.

The following post tells what is happening

http://skytvspain.blogspot.com/

Bad news all round!
Old May 30th 2012, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: ITV

Thanks for your reply.
Old May 31st 2012, 11:06 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I merged the new ITV thread with the existing TV thread, it means anybody using the search facility can find the required information in the one place.

I think it was mentioned on this thread, last November, that the stations would be switching from Astra 2d to Astra 1n and I'm assuming they have now done so. A good page for information I found was the astra2d site, if I read it correctly, seems that it depends on which of the 3 beams Sky decide to use Glad I watch online as this would drive me mad......
Old May 31st 2012, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

I would be happy watching TV online but we have to use a T-Mobile satellite internet link - they sell you what they call a 'dongle' and you pay for Gigabytes of download every month - 8 GB is 7500 Forint and I reckon you need maybe 25GB to watch TV often so that wouldn't be cheap.

We live in Balatonkeresztur and the local phone lines are apparently not good enough for ADSL! We hope the locality upgrade the phone lines eventually but we are not holding our breath!

Regards to all

Steve and Gala
Old May 31st 2012, 11:24 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Steve and Gala, it would be unusual for the phonlines (especially in Keresztur) to be unable to carry ADSL at all. More likely that they have limited capacity and currently at full capacity. Our lines are very old and hence, one end of the street has a capacity of two between about 40 houses. It might be worth checking and if this is the case, ask to be informed should somebody give up their account.
Have you tried contacting any of the wireless providers to see if you have line of site?

If you want to discuss further, we can pop over to the Internet thread and leave this one for the TV
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

I find the problem with watching TV online is it always dependent on the weather
sometimes you can be watching something and it stops or has a little ring going around in the middle of the screen. But having said that if it is the only way we can get ITV and BBC then we just have to put up with it I suppose.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SteveandGalina
I would be happy watching TV online but we have to use a T-Mobile satellite internet link - they sell you what they call a 'dongle' and you pay for Gigabytes of download every month - 8 GB is 7500 Forint and I reckon you need maybe 25GB to watch TV often so that wouldn't be cheap.

We live in Balatonkeresztur and the local phone lines are apparently not good enough for ADSL! We hope the locality upgrade the phone lines eventually but we are not holding our breath!

Regards to all

Steve and Gala
Hi Steve,
I live in Balatonbereny and have ADSL if you want I can give you the number of the guy who did our's he is Hungarian.
Klarika
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Yes please the ADSL guys phone number would be great - does he speak English?

Do you actually still get ITV and BBC??? We cannot get either! If so then how big is your dish, maybe ours is too small.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.