British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   English TV in Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/english-tv-hungary-663194/)

Austrobrit Apr 16th 2011 8:47 pm

Re: English TV in Hungary

for what its worth, I tend to watch english tv channels on hackedcabletv.com

Goo Apr 16th 2011 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Austrobrit (Post 9309230)

Hi, I haven't got any internet connection yet!!

Austin Allegro Apr 20th 2011 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Austrobrit (Post 9309230)

Thanks for the tip. I've been watching stuff on Youtube, old comedies such as Steptoe and Son, It Ain't Half Hot Mum, the Carry On films etc. The picture quality is pretty good. I think they're probably violating copyright though...

Goo May 3rd 2011 9:49 pm

Hi All,
I was in Balaton during the Easter week and I (having communicated with them via email already) popped in to the shop of Visionet.hu which is at Tavirozsa Utca/Helikon Utca in Heviz (100 m from the Helikon Hotel). I met a young chap called Tamas who was very helpful.
I asked about the email they sent me; with regards to receiving Freesat channels near Heviz (where my house is). I told him that I wanted to be able to view BBC1-2, ITV, C4 and some news channels etc. I stated that these were on Astra 2A,2B & 2D. He checked online and confirmed that with a 1.1m dish I can receive these channels. They also quoted HUF 81000 including HD box & full installation etc. (which seems ok IF we can receive what we want!!)
I was (& to be honest, am still abit) sceptical about the size of the dish and queried this with Tamas, indicating that I was under the impression that it would have to be a big dish like 2m+. Tamas smiled with exclamation and confidently advised me that this was not the case and that maximum 1.2m dish would allow me to view the desired channels.
Still unconvinced, I again (I think about 5-6 times) reitterated that I was not just talking about BBC-News and CNN and shopping channels. Tamas told me not to worry they can do it. I again advised him that I did not want to be in a situation where they would spend 2-3 hours fixing a (NASA sized) dish and run cables and there would be no BBC1-2 ITV C4 etc and they will have to take it away. Tamas assured me that this was not the first installation for UK TV they had done and he promised that it would be OK.
So on Friday 29th April the installation crew arrived at my house and they also confirmed that I would get BBC channels and 100s of others!
Due to the loft windows and balcony etc it needed to be fixed to a particular position on the roof and they realised that they needed an additional metal support arm (which needed to be ordered), so the installation was postponed to my next visit in 4 weeks. I am still sceptical whether this sized dish is enough to receive what we want.

I know Bronty was due to visit them sometimes in May (ask to speak to Tamas), perhaps you can let me know how you got on.

I tried to explain to them that if they can pull this off with a 1.1m dish they are likely to get more business from the british community in Balaton... why am I still sceptical.... all my research online and speaking to others suggests that I would need a 2m+ dish yet Visionet seems certain they can deliver what I asked for. (I sincerely hope we are not Lost in Translation!)
Any thoughts anyone...

Best Regards for now.
Goo

Rural Hungary May 3rd 2011 10:38 pm

From what I have been told, even properties a few km's away with the same set up are not guaranteed to get the same stations. I haven't heard of anybody getting BBC1 with less than a 2m dish but a few with 2m dishes who still couldn't get it.

I don't think Bronty's house is finished yet so probably a future consideration for her, though I could be wrong.

It isn't the shop on the corner, you enter from the right of it though there is another door to the right of that which leads to the workshop area. When you enter, the counter is in front of you with a shop area to the left? There is a young chap who speaks quite good English. If it is, from experience, I would steer clear :thumbdown:

Goo May 3rd 2011 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 9341530)
From what I have been told, even properties a few km's away with the same set up are not guaranteed to get the same stations. I haven't heard of anybody getting BBC1 with less than a 2m dish but a few with 2m dishes who still couldn't get it.

I don't think Bronty's house is finished yet so probably a future consideration for her, though I could be wrong.

It isn't the shop on the corner, you enter from the right of it though there is another door to the right of that which leads to the workshop area. When you enter, the counter is in front of you with a shop area to the left? There is a young chap who speaks quite good English. If it is, from experience, I would steer clear :thumbdown:

Hi Rural H,

Yes that is the shop and thanks for the warning! Is there any way you can tell me more? Also the chap there is blonde and speaks a little english! Although as I said I was somewhat sceptical about getting BBC1 etc.:confused:
Maybe I might just go back to my original plan of using 60-70cm dish to get maybe BBC-News or SKY-News or even just CNN and be done with it??
Is there anyone you recommend??
Thanks very much.
Goo

riahun May 4th 2011 6:19 am

Hiya Goo

I live in Balatonfenyves and a few months back a technician at a sat dish shop in Siofok was kind enough to try a 1.5 m dish to see if he can lock onto the astra 2D satellite. He came back to me saying he could only get the same channels we were getting with our 1m dish, which is the same you can get with a 50-60 cm one.

I would be very surprised if they could pull this off in Heviz as it isn't much closer to the UK.:) However, I don't know what you agreed on with this guy. If they can't get you the desired channels, will you have to pay for anything at all? If they try it and it doesn't work, they can just collect all the stuff they came with and go home without payment? If so, it's certainly worth a try... And if they can do it, I would like to know as well.:)

Good luck to you, although I am still totally unconvinced.

Regards,

Ria

OGSG May 5th 2011 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Goo (Post 9341421)
Hi All,
I was in Balaton during the Easter week and I (having communicated with them via email already) popped in to the shop of Visionet.hu which is at Tavirozsa Utca/Helikon Utca in Heviz (100 m from the Helikon Hotel). I met a young chap called Tamas who was very helpful.
I asked about the email they sent me; with regards to receiving Freesat channels near Heviz (where my house is). I told him that I wanted to be able to view BBC1-2, ITV, C4 and some news channels etc. I stated that these were on Astra 2A,2B & 2D. He checked online and confirmed that with a 1.1m dish I can receive these channels. They also quoted HUF 81000 including HD box & full installation etc. (which seems ok IF we can receive what we want!!)
I was (& to be honest, am still abit) sceptical about the size of the dish and queried this with Tamas, indicating that I was under the impression that it would have to be a big dish like 2m+. Tamas smiled with exclamation and confidently advised me that this was not the case and that maximum 1.2m dish would allow me to view the desired channels.
Still unconvinced, I again (I think about 5-6 times) reitterated that I was not just talking about BBC-News and CNN and shopping channels. Tamas told me not to worry they can do it. I again advised him that I did not want to be in a situation where they would spend 2-3 hours fixing a (NASA sized) dish and run cables and there would be no BBC1-2 ITV C4 etc and they will have to take it away. Tamas assured me that this was not the first installation for UK TV they had done and he promised that it would be OK.
So on Friday 29th April the installation crew arrived at my house and they also confirmed that I would get BBC channels and 100s of others!
Due to the loft windows and balcony etc it needed to be fixed to a particular position on the roof and they realised that they needed an additional metal support arm (which needed to be ordered), so the installation was postponed to my next visit in 4 weeks. I am still sceptical whether this sized dish is enough to receive what we want.

I know Bronty was due to visit them sometimes in May (ask to speak to Tamas), perhaps you can let me know how you got on.

I tried to explain to them that if they can pull this off with a 1.1m dish they are likely to get more business from the british community in Balaton... why am I still sceptical.... all my research online and speaking to others suggests that I would need a 2m+ dish yet Visionet seems certain they can deliver what I asked for. (I sincerely hope we are not Lost in Translation!)
Any thoughts anyone...

Best Regards for now.
Goo

Cancel!!! You need a bigger dish! By the way you can actually get the BBC red button channels, so F1 and Wimbledon can be viewed!
A local sat provider in Dias wanted to put a hole through our roof! In the end a friend put up a pole on the terrace and I attached the dish and fed the cable into the house. Peanuts compared to the 15,000 HUF they had quoted without a dish!

Goo May 5th 2011 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by OSA (Post 9344960)
Cancel!!! You need a bigger dish! By the way you can actually get the BBC red button channels, so F1 and Wimbledon can be viewed!
A local sat provider in Dias wanted to put a hole through our roof! In the end a friend put up a pole on the terrace and I attached the dish and fed the cable into the house. Peanuts compared to the 15,000 HUF they had quoted without a dish!

Hi OSA,
I think I will email them and cancel the arrangement. I was already sceptical about their claims but I guess I wanted to believe them.:unsure:
At this point without a HUGE MEGA NASA style dish I can only get a few channels and I believe I can do that myself.:fingerscrossed:

Can anyone please confirm that near Heviz (4km) in West Balaton area it is possible to receive SKY News and BBC News with a 60-70cm elliptical dish?:confused: If this is a tried and tested possibility I will bring the dish,LNB and Freesat box from UK as it is third of the cost as it is in Hungary?
Is there anyone who can help me with alignment, I would be grateful:fingerscrossed:

Big thanks to All.

Goo

OGSG May 5th 2011 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Goo (Post 9345029)
Hi OSA,
I think I will email them and cancel the arrangement. I was already sceptical about their claims but I guess I wanted to believe them.:unsure:
At this point without a HUGE MEGA NASA style dish I can only get a few channels and I believe I can do that myself.:fingerscrossed:

Can anyone please confirm that near Heviz (4km) in West Balaton area it is possible to receive SKY News and BBC News with a 60-70cm elliptical dish?:confused: If this is a tried and tested possibility I will bring the dish,LNB and Freesat box from UK as it is third of the cost as it is in Hungary?
Is there anyone who can help me with alignment, I would be grateful:fingerscrossed:

Big thanks to All.

Goo

In the Keszthely area, next to Heviz we got Sky News, not BBC News - I take the dish down when not in the country. When does it need aligning? I did it all myself as well lining it up first using an analogue receiver.
I picked up a free to air receiver (as opposed to Freesat) in Germany on my way over at Media Markt - only 30 Euros.
Steve

Goo May 5th 2011 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by OSA (Post 9345372)
In the Keszthely area, next to Heviz we got Sky News, not BBC News - I take the dish down when not in the country. When does it need aligning? I did it all myself as well lining it up first using an analogue receiver.
I picked up a free to air receiver (as opposed to Freesat) in Germany on my way over at Media Markt - only 30 Euros.
Steve

Hi OSA,

I will be back in Balaton on 30th May my place is on the other side of Kezsthely (I know Kezsthely well), I am in a small village called Nemesbük.
Any help in getting some UK channels (for my wife and in-laws) would be appreciated.:fingerscrossed:
Are you also using an Elliptical dish? Analog Receiver, I haven't got one but I'll try to find one on Ebay, the trouble is, I have no way of checking that it works before I bring it over to Balaton:confused:

If there is anything I can help you with in Computing field please let me know as I come over 3-4 times a year and I am there all of August.

Many Thanks,

Goo

OGSG May 5th 2011 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Goo (Post 9345492)
Hi OSA,

I will be back in Balaton on 30th May my place is on the other side of Kezsthely (I know Kezsthely well), I am in a small village called Nemesbük.
Any help in getting some UK channels (for my wife and in-laws) would be appreciated.:fingerscrossed:
Are you also using an Elliptical dish? Analog Receiver, I haven't got one but I'll try to find one on Ebay, the trouble is, I have no way of checking that it works before I bring it over to Balaton:confused:

If there is anything I can help you with in Computing field please let me know as I come over 3-4 times a year and I am there all of August.

Many Thanks,

Goo

See PM please

Goo May 5th 2011 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by OSA (Post 9345530)
See PM please

Thanks,

See PM pls, ;)

Goo

Rural Hungary May 6th 2011 8:00 pm

Have sent you a PM Goo regards the company. I agree with what OSA says, hopefully he can help you out:thumbup:

OGSG May 6th 2011 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 9347973)
Have sent you a PM Goo regards the company. I agree with what OSA says, hopefully he can help you out:thumbup:

We have communicated ;-)

Basically you don't need these guys. You just need a little patience aligning the dish, an analogue receiver helps but not necessary. And knowing where East is as well :cool: