Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

English TV in Hungary

English TV in Hungary

Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:27 am
Account Closed

stromnessdundee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English TV in Hungary

Hopefully this discussion will be moot shortly. If the ruling that came about last week is followed through then there should be no geographical restriction of broadcast within the EU. Who knows we all might be able to get UK tv legally- and pay our license fees! I would love to at the moment but due to restrictions it is just not possible. Of course the draconian Hungarian Media Law might be another concern- it applies to media aimed at Hungary as well as media generated in Hungary. I cannot imagine that the EU will let this one apply though.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:02 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bronty View Post
I've been reading all the postings with interest as we will be moving to Hungary in the near future. I have spoken to family and friends in almost every county in Hungary. Each location has different receptions. One village may recieve 'freesat' (and cbeebies) etc, while the next village will not recieve anything and the next requires a 2m dish. Many people I have spoken to use a UK sky box with a freeview card. I have decided to use a 90cm dish first to see what reception I have and if I have channels but poorly, then I will be going up in size. It's a case of trial and error, hope you have good reception and wil be interested to see how you get on.
My Hungarian friend has the very same set up as I do, ie/ a 1.20 dish and he can not receive ITV or channel fives on his Sky box, however, If I put my Sky box on his dish Mine does receive them, so some boxes are also better than others.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:26 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnoh View Post
Hello,

New poster here.

I'll soon be moving from France to Hungary with my family (my wife is Hungarian), and were very much looking forward to our move.

John
Hi Johnoh, welcome to the forum. Sorry for not replying earlier but I had a bit of a problem with my car over the weekend.

Yes, you can have it set up so that only one system connects through the vpn. I believe the security issue is more relevant to the data sent though most connections should be encrypted and therefore secure but obviously, if you use a small unknown company, you have no idea who is ending up with that data or whether they have the encryption key. I am by no means a security expert so if anyone more knowledgeable on the subject can advise, please feel free. Basically, I ensure that when connecting to a site that requires a password, I disconnect my vpn.

Hope this helps
Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

johnoh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. But how can I find out if a vpn company is reliable or not? As I say, I'm a bit new to this game!
Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

stromnessdundee is an unknown quantity at this point

I will pm you.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

American friends of mine watch BBC iPlayer online in the States by installing a free proxy server
http://download.cnet.com/Expat-Shiel...-75211377.html works for them fine and should be fine for you.

Be careful downloading torrents or binery files, a virus breeding ground so make sure your virus checker is up to date.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 6:29 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bob, you have to be careful, the software mentioned can cause problems and proxy servers are even less secure than a VPN and shouldn't be used by those who do not know what they are doing.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:38 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary View Post
Hi Bob, you have to be careful, the software mentioned can cause problems and proxy servers are even less secure than a VPN and shouldn't be used by those who do not know what they are doing.
I agree with this I was told that some of the free proxy services are actually set up by scammers, all your info goes straight to them. A lot safer if you pay for one.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:53 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

You got it one Anonimouse. Though the main gripe I have with this software is that you download a downloader only from cnet. What is then downloaded onto your machine can be changed at anytime - not good! Also, some of this type of software changes settings on the fly so that you can only connect when using the proxy, others are soooo slow unless you have a very fast connection that they literally make the internet inaccessible. It's okay if you know what you are doing but those less computer savvy can end up with problems.

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Feb 14th 2011 at 5:57 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:09 am
Just Joined

johnoh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everybody for your responses (both on the thread and via PM). I'm cerainly a lot wiser now than I was a couple of weeks ago! I'll let you know how I've got on, once we've moved.

John
Old Feb 26th 2011, 7:04 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Please, has anyone shopped for the dual / double satellite cable for use with SKY plus of Freesat plus. Will be heavy to bring on flight from UK. Anyone know whether available & where please?
All the best
Old Apr 15th 2011, 7:31 pm
Goo
Just Joined

Goo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: English TV in Hungary

Hi All, PLEASE HEEELP!

Although I myself am happy to admire the garden and be out during the day and happy to watch a film or 3 in the vening but... she who must be obeyed and the in-laws are doing my head in about UK TV in Balaton.
I spent many hours researching this and all I am getting is conflicting information. I know that historicallyyou need a 2m dish etc. but According to the astra 2 A and B web site ( http://www.ses-astra.com/business/en...ra2b/index.php ) all of Western Hungary is covered with 50-60cm dish. My place is near Heviz any thoughts on whether I could get even a few channels with 60cm dish and a Freesat HD box???

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated...

Also anyone with any IT queries please ask if I can help I will be glad to.

Thanks in advance,

Goo.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

I have found a few sites that have given some information. I know that you need to use 28.2E Astra 2A -2B –2D satellites to get the UK channels.

The site: www.astra2d.com will give you basic information on the dishes required and reception area maps.

The site: www.dishpointer.com to find where to point the dish from your location. It will also give you the information you will need such as the longitude/latitude of your location (using the map) and also it will show any obstructions.

The site: www.wildsat.com will give you all the channels you are able to receive and what frequencies to tune your box into. I have personally sent
e-mails to Pete on this site, and he is very helpful.

The site: www.brymar.co.uk will give you some idea of what equipment to buy and how much it will cost.

I would be interested to know how you get on and if this was of any help to you.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

Hi Goo
You asked for outlets near Heviz, there is a large outlet called Visionet in Heviz, which cover the Balaton area. Their website is www.visionet.hu but is in Hungarian. They sell and install all satellite tv equipment. I can't verify or recommend anything as yet, but I will be paying them a visit in May to see for myself.
There are 2 other outlets which may be of interest, but again I don't know anything else about them apart from what they say on their websites.
There is a company called Scorpion kft. based in Budapest. Their website is in English and would give you a better idea of what they can do. Apparently you can speak to them in English as well.
The second site is: www.antenna.shp.hu . They are also based in Budapest, and their site is in Hungarian. But what is interesting is that they have installed all the english satellite dishes for embassies and large commercial businesses specifically for english freeview channels. Hope this helps. Let me know what you find out.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 1:53 pm
Goo
Just Joined

Goo is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: English TV in Hungary

Hi bronty,

Thanks for all the info, its all usefull. It would be interesting to know what visionet in Heviz can do, it would be great if you can let me know (although I will be in Balaton next sunday but I am not sure if I will get any time to explore Satellite options during this visit!). Indeed I've been to all the sites you mentioned and why are the ones in hungary all in hungarian only, Surely they must realise that it is the German and English speaking community who would use their services also and Visionet has the flags in the top right corner but the buttons are inactive.
DO you have internet connection? Who is it by is it a good price?
I am trying to justify getting connected but I am not there to use it often enough to use it so it doesn't see viable!!

I have seen some ones dish near where we live it was huge I am sure it was bigger than those parasols they use outdoors in pub gardens! It was so big it was actually on the ground! There is not way the missus will entertain that!

Arrgh...the quest continues...

But thanks for your advice, I think the dispointer site is brilliant... and very understated...

ANY OTHER HELP OR ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED...PLEASE...!!!

thanks,

Goo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.