British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   English TV in Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/english-tv-hungary-663194/)

OGSG May 18th 2011 8:32 am

Re: English TV in Hungary

Originally Posted by riahun (Post 9367217)
I had a horrible experience with visionet as well but with the one in Fonyod. I will never go back there even if they are the only ones selling something I really really need.

MediaMarkt in Zalaegerszeg will also have hardware and the other "extras" you may need. Then there are possibly expats who are willing to help out.

I also had the experience of a ridiculous quote by Hungarian comparisons for just installing equipment.

If you want something doing get a Hungarian friend to get it sorted as there are usually 3 differing prices for Hungarians, expat Hungarians and foreigners!

rainbow22 May 29th 2011 8:14 pm

Thanks for this thread - great info :)!

anonimouse May 31st 2011 5:05 pm

A useful tip, If you are struggling to get one or two channels in Hungary as my friend was, it could be your box as some are better than others, however it can also be the region where your Sky card comes from in the uk with weaker signals. Do a google for frequencies on the channel you can't receive and try adding channels you may get lucky as my friend did and get it on a different frequency.

OGSG Jun 20th 2011 12:35 pm

English TV in Hungary: Wimbledon/ F1

A reminder that if you are a Wimbledon fan they are featuring, it seems, ALL matches including those from Beeb2 on their red button facility. (This also happens for F1 with the free practice, qualifying, race and F1 forum).

To access this you will need a free to air satellite receiver and scan the Astra 28.5 satellite and it should pick these streams up.

Same goes for Proms fans later this year!

Enjoy your viewing!

anonimouse Jun 24th 2011 11:10 am

I also know a friend who uses these

http://expatshield.com/

You have to download the player and it gives you a UK ip address.

Lot's of adverts on it though but if it's the only way you can get Uk tv you may find it worth it.

OGSG Jun 25th 2011 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by anonimouse (Post 9454345)
I also know a friend who uses these

http://expatshield.com/

You have to download the player and it gives you a UK ip address.

Lot's of adverts on it though but if it's the only way you can get Uk tv you may find it worth it.

Can mess up your PC though with malware etc.!

John Gilbert Jul 11th 2011 3:31 pm

I wonder, has anyone used Hotspot Shield? What are the risks please?

OGSG Jul 11th 2011 4:03 pm

Re: English TV in Hungary on your PC

Originally Posted by John Gilbert (Post 9488557)
I wonder, has anyone used Hotspot Shield? What are the risks please?

See comments here: http://download.cnet.com/hotspot-shield/

And here: http://bestvpnreviews.com/best-free-...ree-vpn-review
Having read them I wouldn't take the risk.

Rural Hungary Jul 11th 2011 4:30 pm

I used it and it was a nightmare to clear from my system!

OGSG Jul 12th 2011 7:05 pm

Go for the legal method! See this report: Authorities Shut Down 'BSkyB Pirate TV'

iPlayer Set to Go Overseas

During Tuesday night's Banff World Festival, President of Worldwide Networks and Global iPlayer for BBC Worldwide, Jana Bennet announced that the BBC is gearing up to launch an international version of iPlayer, BBC's catch-up service. The corporation intends to move slowly with the experiment, completing it in stages. It is set to start in the late summer of this year, beginning by making it available in Western Europe. The Beeb is also gearing up for a US launch, though no date has been set.

The international version of iPlayer will have a mix of archive content and contemporary content. It's set to launch with a range of programmes, which include factual, natural history, documentaries, comedy, music, and children's programmes. Programmes that currently do not fit any of these genres may not be included yet. In her statement, Bennet said: We want global BBC iPlayer to imaginatively engage an on-demand audience with the best classic and contemporary British shows.

Bennet made it clear that the international version would be very different from its British equivalent, which involves a seven day catch-up for the programmes broadcast on BBC's domestic TV and radio stations. “The freedom from catch-up means that we've got a lot more flexibility in terms of what we put on there and how we present it,” said Bennet. “In overseas markets, where the whole gamut of the BBC's linear broadcast isn't available, applying the on-demand model we have in the UK doesn't make sense... While it won't happen overnight, our ambition is to present a timeless mix of classic and contemporary UK creativity, showcasing the best of British content from the 1950s to the present day.”

Apart from availability of programmes, international iPlayer will also be different from its British counterpart by charging its users. iPlayer in the UK is available free of charge because of the compulsory television license-fee. Though the final price for the international version is yet to be decided, Mark Thompson, BBC director general, said it's likely to cost “a small number of dollars per month—definitely fewer than US$10 (£6).”

Similar to the UK model, however, international iPlayer, which will start as an app only available to iPads, will be able to branch out onto other devices through the open internet. The exact list of devices are yet to be revealed, but the PlayStation3 has already been named.

Alongside the launch of iPlayer, Bennet aims to make more BBC channels available overseas, as well as commission BBC programming with an international appeal. Already on the agenda are plans to provide coverage of the Queen's diamond jubilee celebration next year.

anonimouse Jul 12th 2011 7:48 pm

I still think the most comfortable way to watch TV is to buy a 1.20mt dish and LNB about 9000ft total and any sat box with card and it's done.

IMO your pc is an only if all else fails way to go.

Goo Jul 18th 2011 11:52 am

Hi All,
Some update on my Sat TV saga in Balaton.
After advice (and the fact that they failed to comvince me) I cancelled all dealings with the certain company in Heviz.:thumbdown:
A friend, in Balaton, I've known for 5 years have told me off for not asking him about Sat TV first. HE subsequently put me in contatc with a local who does Sat installations.:fingerscrossed:
In short; in the first week of June he has installed an 85cm dish with twin cabeling and aligned it to what we needed Astra 2a&b, and now we have a number of news channels (what we were after really), C4HD (I brought my own SKY+ HD box from UK £50 on eBay mint condition, I also brought my own Quad LNB £5 on eBay V FT15000 in Hungary!), and alot of movie channels (like True Movies etc.), I understand I should be able to get ITV and Ch5 also but I really did not spend any time fiddling with the tuning or the settings of the box...too busy. So currently we receive what ever the box was tuned in for originally.:cool:
And the bonus is that, all this for a third off the price I was quoted in Heviz gang!
And another thing; Heviz gang was certain that unless they fitted the 1.1m dish in the middle of my roof in full view (making my house look like Gaddafi's hideout); but this guy said if it was ok with me, he would like to try and fit it in the far end of the house on the side wall to ry and hide it from the street view! Now you have to look really hard to see the top corner of the dish from the street. Oh did I mention, to my wife's delight, there are no cables trailing outside the house either!! :thumbsup:

This guy knows what he is doing and he was honest about what is and is not possible to receive from my location. He told me that he has a 40 cm.dish on his 4th floor balcony and he gets all the channels I can get, but he did say that he looses all when it is cloudy!

I am driving to Balaton in 2 weeks and will take a Digital Satellite receiver and a Freesat receiver, I want to see what different channels (if any) can I get with them! Will report back accordingly.

He asked me to pass his details to all who might need assistance with Sat TV:
Fentös Gabor :thumbsup:
[email protected]
+36-30-471-83-84

Why not contact him for a site inspection and a quote, it's free!:thumbup:

I hope all is well with all of you

Best Regards (I can't wait to get to Balaton in August)
Goo

OGSG Jul 18th 2011 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Goo (Post 9502343)
Hi All,
Some update on my Sat TV saga in Balaton.
And another thing; Heviz gang was certain that unless they fitted the 1.1m dish in the middle of my roof in full view (making my house look like Gaddafi's hideout); but this guy said if it was ok with me, he would like to try and fit it in the far end of the house on the side wall to ry and hide it from the street view! Now you have to look really hard to see the top corner of the dish from the street. Oh did I mention, to my wife's delight, there are no cables trailing outside the house either!! :thumbsup:

I am driving to Balaton in 2 weeks and will take a Digital Satellite receiver and a Freesat receiver, I want to see what different channels (if any) can I get with them! Will report back accordingly.
Goo

:thumbsup:
The Heviz lot are probably represented in Dias as they also gave us a horrendous quote and wanted to place it on the roof, meaning a hole through it!

I ended placing an 80cm dish on the terrace and we get a good deal of channels with a free-to-air receiver including the red button ones giving us sports and other special TV events.

richardmc Jul 18th 2011 2:15 pm

Any clear uncomplicated advice would be welcome, we are due to relocate next year and I am very confused with all the different info on the forum although I appreciate any info is good. I am thinking of a 62cm dish with either free to air receiver which is inexpensive or a humax foxsat HD twin tuner thingy with recordable hard drive????? I have emailed humax but they have not responded yet after 1 week mmm Sky.eu is a basic £19.00 plus /month with £60.00 management fees twice a year. :confused:

Goo Jul 18th 2011 2:35 pm

Hi Richard,

I would forget about the Sky subscription for now. Send an email to the guy I wrote about in my previous message, he will give you clear advice you need.
One thing to remember is that if you bring your own equipment (even the dish) from UK, you will save a lot of money.:fingerscrossed:

Where are you looking to relocate to in Balaton?

Regards,
Goo.

OGSG Jul 18th 2011 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Goo (Post 9502652)
Hi Richard,

I would forget about the Sky subscription for now. Send an email to the guy I wrote about in my previous message, he will give you clear advice you need.
One thing to remember is that if you bring your own equipment (even the dish) from UK, you will save a lot of money.:fingerscrossed:

Where are you looking to relocate to in Balaton?

Regards,
Goo.

And I would say the bigger dish the better. iPlayer is being introduced soon for overseas, on subscription - a best of BBC programmes.

richardmc Jul 18th 2011 5:30 pm

Thans GOO/ OGSG yes own equipment from England will be best, we are near Fonyod

OGSG Nov 28th 2011 11:21 am

Channel 5, 5 USA, fiver etc.

An enquiry on behalf of a "Balaton" Brit regarding UK TV:

Does anyone know why channel 5, 5 USA, fiver etc. has gone off the air? or
how to get this back again?

I'll pass any info on. Thanks

Rural Hungary Nov 28th 2011 11:27 am

I emailed some info to Bob this morning - not sure if it's relevant but think there are several channels changing satellites recently.

Rural Hungary Nov 28th 2011 4:27 pm

Now that I think it might be relevant, I'll post the link here.

Hope it helps :)

SteveNLisa Nov 28th 2011 5:09 pm

I noticed they are now selling Internet enabled blue ray disc players now, which enable you to download channels direct to your tv via the Blue ray player. Relatively inexpensive as well at only £69.00

John Gilbert Nov 28th 2011 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 9758247)
Now that I think it might be relevant, I'll post the link here.

Hope it helps :)

Thanks - it looks like the "5" tv channels have moved to Astra 2D, so without a 2.3m dish (& who has/ wants that!) maybe Channel 5 reception in Hungary is finished?

OGSG Dec 2nd 2011 9:43 am

Originally Posted by SteveNLisa (Post 9758321)
I noticed they are now selling Internet enabled blue ray disc players now, which enable you to download channels direct to your tv via the Blue ray player. Relatively inexpensive as well at only £69.00

Yes maybe, but no help if you can't get reception via your satellite dish :(
iPlayer etc. are not legally accessible abroad if you are considering downloading from the Internet, the illegal software that may provide this facility is more than likely to be messing up your PC/ mac etc. Beware!
Some Hungarian cable TV providers have http://www.bbcentertainment.com/europe/ as do their satellite packages.
BBC Worldwide are supposed to be having a commercial version of iPlayer available soon as well.
You will need the broadband speed to match if you want to watch livestreaming unless of course you download first and then watch.

John Gilbert Dec 2nd 2011 11:22 am

Now BBC News Channel has moved to Astra 2D, it is hard to pick up in Hungary without a massive dish.

On asking the BBC why they moved it I was told to save money. They said BBC News was not intended for those outside the UK and directed me to "BBC World News" as a substitute on Hotbird 6. 13 degrees.

I wonder if anyone has tried it & has any views?

John Gilbert Jan 30th 2012 2:37 pm

For those that miss the easy Astra access to BBC News

You can watch BBC World News on

www.livestation.com/channels/10-bbc-world-news-english

(not accessible in the UK)

if you have a good broadband connection.

FenTiger Feb 1st 2012 11:32 am

Originally Posted by John Gilbert (Post 9873693)
For those that miss the easy Astra access to BBC News

You can watch BBC World News on

www.livestation.com/channels/10-bbc-world-news-english

(not accessible in the UK)

if you have a good broadband connection.

Out of curiosity is it possible to get subtitles? Something I need to know about because long term plan is to move to Hungary and being deaf it's something I rely on!

OGSG Feb 1st 2012 11:40 am

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 9877763)
Out of curiosity is it possible to get subtitles? Something I need to know about because long term plan is to move to Hungary and being deaf it's something I rely on!

Not sure myself as it's via the Internet. But Sky is available with subtitles and you can still get BBC (UK) News but you need a bigger dish now.

This is BBC World News that was being talked about in the last few posts of this thread.

Hungarian sat TV packages also offer BBC World News, not sure about the subtitles though.

OK just checked LiveStaion with UK News livestream - no subtitles available there, sorry. http://www.livestation.com/bbc-news

FenTiger Feb 6th 2012 11:31 am

Originally Posted by OGSG (Post 9877771)
Not sure myself as it's via the Internet. But Sky is available with subtitles and you can still get BBC (UK) News but you need a bigger dish now.

This is BBC World News that was being talked about in the last few posts of this thread.

Hungarian sat TV packages also offer BBC World News, not sure about the subtitles though.

OK just checked LiveStaion with UK News livestream - no subtitles available there, sorry. http://www.livestation.com/bbc-news

I will have to do some more research into being able to access subtitles via Satellite in Hungary! :-(

Mind you it won't be the end of the world if I can't access subtitles ..... I'll have to play scrabble with the wife and since we have been together it's 50/50 between us ..... but if we play the Hungarian version I'm sure she will thrash me!

John Gilbert Feb 6th 2012 11:43 am

Can anyone share their experience on big dishes for Astra 2D near the Balaton. There seems to be a huge price differential, the cheapest I have seen being the one Maplin ( & others) sell at about £190. Others seem to cost £1,000's & on that basis I will be watching Hungarian TV!

I wonder if anyone has views & experience they could share? Could large dishes be cheaper in Hungary? Do the cheaper ones work? Is reception ok with a 1.8 dish or a 2.4 dish?

I am not obsessed by TV but it would be good to have it for the cold winter evenings - though not at any price!

All the best

Rural Hungary Feb 6th 2012 12:11 pm

Fentiger, subtitles are available on freeview, Sky etc If UK package they will be in English but if Hungarian satellite then they will be in Hungarian. This tells you how to active it on Sky

John, I did post some links for somebody a while back in reference to stockists of large disks (though I might have PM'd them and as soon as I get time to come up for breath of air, I'll search through my PM's) if memory serves me well, they had quite a bit of information on them. I know several people have tried and failed though I also know of somebody with a dish that they describe as being "just over a metre" and they can get all channels except BBC. Hit and miss I think :unsure: Of course, there is always the internet....

OGSG Feb 6th 2012 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by John Gilbert (Post 9886529)
Can anyone share their experience on big dishes for Astra 2D near the Balaton. There seems to be a huge price differential, the cheapest I have seen being the one Maplin ( & others) sell at about £190. Others seem to cost £1,000's & on that basis I will be watching Hungarian TV!
I wonder if anyone has views & experience they could share? Could large dishes be cheaper in Hungary? Do the cheaper ones work? Is reception ok with a 1.8 dish or a 2.4 dish?
I am not obsessed by TV but it would be good to have it for the cold winter evenings - though not at any price!
All the best

And if I remember further back in this thread there were some reports on fta (free to air) reception with either a Sky receiver or fta receiver and different dish sizes and a warning to stay clear of certain installers. It may also depend on your location in Hiungary.
Of course bigger dishes can be placed in the garden and do not necessarily need to be on your roof.
BTW Sky News & BBC World News are also on Astra 19.2.

klarika May 30th 2012 4:18 pm

ITV

Is anybody having problems with ITV? had it this morning and now gone

SteveandGalina May 30th 2012 5:21 pm

Re: ITV

Unfortunately it seems that ITV has moved to a different frequency which we can no longer get in Hungary on a standard dish. Not sure if getting a larger dish would help or whether it's just gone altogether.

The following post tells what is happening

http://skytvspain.blogspot.com/

Bad news all round!

klarika May 30th 2012 8:10 pm

Re: ITV

Thanks for your reply.

Rural Hungary May 31st 2012 11:06 am

Hi, I merged the new ITV thread with the existing TV thread, it means anybody using the search facility can find the required information in the one place.

I think it was mentioned on this thread, last November, that the stations would be switching from Astra 2d to Astra 1n and I'm assuming they have now done so. A good page for information I found was the astra2d site, if I read it correctly, seems that it depends on which of the 3 beams Sky decide to use :unsure: Glad I watch online as this would drive me mad......

SteveandGalina May 31st 2012 11:15 am

I would be happy watching TV online but we have to use a T-Mobile satellite internet link - they sell you what they call a 'dongle' and you pay for Gigabytes of download every month - 8 GB is 7500 Forint and I reckon you need maybe 25GB to watch TV often so that wouldn't be cheap.

We live in Balatonkeresztur and the local phone lines are apparently not good enough for ADSL! We hope the locality upgrade the phone lines eventually but we are not holding our breath!

Regards to all

Steve and Gala

Rural Hungary May 31st 2012 11:24 am

Hi Steve and Gala, it would be unusual for the phonlines (especially in Keresztur) to be unable to carry ADSL at all. More likely that they have limited capacity and currently at full capacity. Our lines are very old and hence, one end of the street has a capacity of two between about 40 houses. It might be worth checking and if this is the case, ask to be informed should somebody give up their account.
Have you tried contacting any of the wireless providers to see if you have line of site?

If you want to discuss further, we can pop over to the Internet thread and leave this one for the TV:)

klarika Jun 1st 2012 7:53 am

I find the problem with watching TV online is it always dependent on the weather
sometimes you can be watching something and it stops or has a little ring going around in the middle of the screen. But having said that if it is the only way we can get ITV and BBC then we just have to put up with it I suppose.

klarika Jun 1st 2012 7:56 am

Originally Posted by SteveandGalina (Post 10092570)
I would be happy watching TV online but we have to use a T-Mobile satellite internet link - they sell you what they call a 'dongle' and you pay for Gigabytes of download every month - 8 GB is 7500 Forint and I reckon you need maybe 25GB to watch TV often so that wouldn't be cheap.

We live in Balatonkeresztur and the local phone lines are apparently not good enough for ADSL! We hope the locality upgrade the phone lines eventually but we are not holding our breath!

Regards to all

Steve and Gala

Hi Steve,
I live in Balatonbereny and have ADSL if you want I can give you the number of the guy who did our's he is Hungarian.
Klarika

SteveandGalina Jun 1st 2012 11:26 am

Yes please the ADSL guys phone number would be great - does he speak English?

Do you actually still get ITV and BBC??? We cannot get either! If so then how big is your dish, maybe ours is too small.