British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   English TV in Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/english-tv-hungary-663194/)

riahun Jan 15th 2011 9:01 am

Re: English TV in Hungary

Hi Rural

Surely it is illegal to have a 3m dish in your back garden as well then if it's used for watching BBC? I doubt anyone would be paying for a UK TV licence in Hungary? Just a thought....

Ria

Rural Hungary Jan 15th 2011 9:34 am

I think there is more chance of them catching you using a VPN than a dish in Hungary. Regardless of the likelihood of being caught (very unlikely), the fact is that it is illegal and they do take it seriously, hence few vpn services now offering access to tvcatchup. As it is illegal, it is the responsibility of BE to point this out to those reading the thread. What people then decide to do is entirely their decision, however, the forum can not be seen to encourage it.:)

Mitzyboy Jan 17th 2011 8:21 am

A bit of a run down on SKY

When we moved abroad be already had a SKY account. So we simply bought a new dish here (1,8m) and it worked fine.

Since then we have had a new card sent to us which we placed in the box and it worked. Just before Christmas we bought a new box on ebay. We called SKY on Skype and got them to pair the card with the new box over the phone. No problem.

The subscription comes out of our UK bank account
The account is registered to our UK address

It's all quite possible, all you need is a UK address and bank account.

Rural Hungary Jan 17th 2011 8:45 am

I think in Hungary it's the reception that proves to be the problem. A 2.4-3m dish is recommended and even then, reception is not guaranteed. There are Brits here with a card registered to a UK address but they have said they can not receive all the stations. Hope that makes sense, we don't have Sky so only know what I have heard from other Brits.

Mitzyboy Jan 17th 2011 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 9107428)
I think in Hungary it's the reception that proves to be the problem. A 2.4-3m dish is recommended and even then, reception is not guaranteed. There are Brits here with a card registered to a UK address but they have said they can not receive all the stations. Hope that makes sense, we don't have Sky so only know what I have heard from other Brits.

Its the same in Spain. The further South you go the bigger the dish you need. Even then, some of the channels go at certain times, for instance BBC2 doesnt last past 5 or 6 pm. Channel 4 is pretty intermittent

If you have HD, you get better reception as it is on different channels. BBC2 lasts all night when you have HD and theres no problem with Channel 4

klarika Jan 22nd 2011 9:13 am

We have an 80cm dish and UK skybox and get all the UK channels apart from BBC1 which I believe we could get via the interent and IP address.
We also have another dish and Hungarian Box which we can also get UK channels apart from ITV, Channel 4 5 and BBC it has true movies and quite a few other film channels. Does any body know how I go about getting an IP address?

Regards

carol

Rural Hungary Jan 22nd 2011 9:20 am

Do you mean a VPN service Klarika?

klarika Jan 22nd 2011 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 9120308)
Do you mean a VPN service Klarika?

Not sure I just know that friends of mine have an IP address in Spain and watch TV via interent

Rural Hungary Jan 22nd 2011 9:26 am

Yes, that will be VPN. There is a link to an information page further up this thread and I have sent you a PM. As mentioned before, just be careful that you use a company which is reputable as you are basically giving them access to your data.

johnoh Feb 6th 2011 6:58 pm

Hello,

New poster here.

I'll soon be moving from France to Hungary with my family (my wife is Hungarian), and were very much looking forward to our move.

However one minor (?) concern and is that out small children have grown to love CBeebies and we are looking into the best way for them to continue watching it. Astra 2d is easy to pick up in France, but it seems that you need some monster-sized dish to pick up reception in Hungary, which may turn out to be impractical.

I was intrigued by posts above saying that British TV could be picket via the internet. However, since this involves VPN, I would have some concerns around security. If I had 1 PC devoted purely to intenet TV, and one other for general use, would this get around this problem?

Thanks for any advice
John

fidobsa Feb 6th 2011 7:20 pm

Would it not be better to find a Hungarian equivalent programme if such a thing exists, as it will help them to learn the language.

anonimouse Feb 6th 2011 10:36 pm

When I was in Hospital here one of the channels had a cartoon on and they were teaching English, you know the type of thing, ducks crossing the road and they said "Angol" then they said in English 1 2 3 and so on and the same with words.

johnoh Feb 7th 2011 7:20 am

Originally Posted by fidobsa (Post 9156909)
Would it not be better to find a Hungarian equivalent programme if such a thing exists, as it will help them to learn the language.

Thanks for the advice, and no doubt my kids will watch Hungarian TV. They already speak Hungarian (through their mother), and will be talking Hungarian with their grandparents, at school, etc, so in fact, keeping up their English is more the issue here really!

In addition to this, their dad might occasional want to watch the odd bit of British TV too!

fidobsa Feb 7th 2011 7:52 am

That's good, I do feel sorry for kids who are expected to suddenly start at a school where they speak an unfamiliar language. It is bad enough for families who come up here from England to north east Scotland, where the other school pupils are chatting away in Doric. They probably think they have travelled back in time to the days of Rabbie Burns.

bronty Feb 7th 2011 8:38 am

I've been reading all the postings with interest as we will be moving to Hungary in the near future. I have spoken to family and friends in almost every county in Hungary. Each location has different receptions. One village may recieve 'freesat' (and cbeebies) etc, while the next village will not recieve anything and the next requires a 2m dish. Many people I have spoken to use a UK sky box with a freeview card. I have decided to use a 90cm dish first to see what reception I have and if I have channels but poorly, then I will be going up in size. It's a case of trial and error, hope you have good reception and wil be interested to see how you get on.