British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   English TV in Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/english-tv-hungary-663194/)

Tapsony-Hungary Dec 12th 2010 1:05 pm

Re: English TV in Hungary

Hi we bought ours in england, i think it was PC world, but if you google sling box, you should find out which store or internet store sells them. You do realise it has to be connected to a sky box in the uk to get bbc.
will try and find more information for you, ours works really well and I'm looking forward to seeing all the xmas specials that they are adertising at the moment when we are in Hungary.
regards tapsony-hungary

Tapsony-Hungary Dec 12th 2010 1:25 pm

Hi again go to the following site it's really helpful and explains the sling box and gives reports back from people all over the world who have one. www.radioandtelly.co.uk you are looking to pay about £130 for a box on average, you can also watch your home TV on your phone or ipad as well.
regards tapsony-hungary

riahun Dec 12th 2010 2:07 pm

Hi telly-addicts:)

We were in the same situation a few months ago having installed a 1m dish and not being able to watch the usual channels like ITV, channel 4 and 5 and of course the BBC channels. Apparently you'd need a 3m dish to be able to do just that.

Someone on another forum site gave me a link and now we can watch all our favourite uk and us shows on the internet for £6.50 a month. You don't need to pay out for a sling box and then having someone back home with a sky box and so on. All you need is internet access and you can run the shows through your telly if you prefer that.

If you want to know more, send me a message and I'll give you the link. It's very easy to install and you'll be up and running in no time.

Regards,

Ria

Rural Hungary Dec 12th 2010 3:14 pm

Hi Ria, I'm guessing that's a VPN?

Just a note of advise, for those who aren't too Internet savvy. If using a VPN, research the company thoroughly as in doing so you are opening up your system and data to possible abuse. There are cases of VPN selling sites being established solely for the purpose of capturing security data. So check out the company you intend purchasing through, how long have they been in business, where is the domain name registered, check for "genuine" reviews.

Apart from that, it is (so long as you have a reasonable connection speed) one of the easiest ways of watching UK TV here.

That said, you don't need a 2.5m or 3m dish for the other sky channels do you? Isn't it only the BBC channels or ITV - one or the other.

riahun Dec 12th 2010 3:52 pm

Yes, Rural it's through a VPN. I was advised this company by an IT guy and all the reviews I read about them were excellent. Touch wood, haven't had any problems so far and hope I won't in the future either.:)

We have a sky box with a card and also a freesat box. With our 1m dish, we haven't been able to watch any of the usual channels, no channel 4, 5 or itv. We knew we wouldn't be able to get BBC, but was hoping for itv at least. We've tried everything, setting it up manually as well but still didn't happen.

We have got a lot of channels but I don't particularly care for them nor does my partner. The only channel we sometimes watch is bbc news. We've got a few movie channels like movies4men and a few cbs channels and that's about it, the rest is rubbish.

Saying that, my mother-in-law and father-in-law are perfectly happy with the choice, we are just too fussy.:)

fidobsa Dec 12th 2010 9:11 pm

Someone told me that BBC iPlayer only works in UK, is this correct? I'm not sure how it can tell you are outside UK, perhaps it traces the IP address? Otherwise it would be a useful service for expats.

Tapsony-Hungary Dec 12th 2010 11:39 pm

Hello Fidobsa, Rural Hungary and Riahun
just to say after spending £6.50 a month on top of the monthly cost of the normal internet subscription you are about half the cost of the sling box for one year,and with the sling box you can watch the bbc at the same time the programmes are being broadcast in the uk, or you can record them, and watch later if you prefer. We had a scare recently with someone trying to take over our computer and wanted money to solve the problem they created, so always be cautious, wise words Rural Hungary.
A ssatellitedish is not good for getting the normal bbc (bbc news channel is different) whatever size it is as their ssatellite beam area does not cover hungary, if you remember sky altered it's beam from the uk several years ago which stopped hungary from getting the sky premier games as they were being broadcast in the uk.
Fidobsa you are correct you cannot access bbc iplayer outside the uk they know by your providers address, we like to listen to five live radio and when they are doing commentary on premier games or the gran prix access is denied via the internet radio but we can listen via the slingbox and connect to five live that way, so winners all round. Hope this info is useful to some if not all, just go with what ever works for you and makes you happy.
regards Tapsony-Hungary

riahun Dec 13th 2010 4:03 am

Hello Tapsony:)

You might be right about the cost but you don't have to pay £130 in one go and if youdon't live in the uk any more, whose sky box will you hook up to? We have friends back there and we have gone through all the options but with the sling box, you will inconvenience someone one way or another. You will have to have your own box for a start. Otherwise you can only watch what they are watching. I was also told that every once in a while the sky box will need a restart and you can't do that in Hungary.

A VPN does everything we wanted and it doesn't cost us an arm and a leg either. We can watch live telly as well as the players, so you won't miss any programs.

Anyway, I only wrote on here because I know I would have been happy if someone had suggested this when we first had these problems. I don't know how much of my time I wasted on the internet trying to find a solution when it was so easy.

Obviously I am not here to advertise any companies, I am not getting anything out of it, evryone can do whatever they like. It's an option though and the more options you have the easier to choose - or is it the harder?:)

Tapsony-Hungary Dec 13th 2010 8:03 am

Hi Riahun :)
you're right the more information people have the better and it's good there are forums to share things. The internet is a wonderful concept, what would we all do without it :confused:
we are lucky as we have our own sky box in the uk, but as you say could be a problem if you don't.
Have a Happy Christmas and enjoy your viewing
regards Tapsony :D

Rural Hungary Dec 16th 2010 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by riahun (Post 9037219)

Anyway, I only wrote on here because I know I would have been happy if someone had suggested this when we first had these problems. I don't know how much of my time I wasted on the internet trying to find a solution when it was so easy.

Hmmmm, I'm sure VPN's were mentioned about a year ago on another thread as we use one for various things - obviously not to access TV, as that is illegal:thumbdown:

For those who choose to watch TV using a VPN, it is one of the easiest options, so long as they research the company they plan on using.

Out of curiosity, can you watch tvcatchup on yours?

Just checked and I think John mentioned VPN's but removed it, perhaps when the UK TV monitoring service was having a crack down earlier this year, then when I mentioned it, I said streaming and to PM me ; hence why it wouldn't have come up on the search.
To reiterate, using a VPN to watch UK TV does work, however, it is illegal; should you decide to do so, please choose the company you use carefully.

bronty Jan 12th 2011 8:56 am

TV Reception in HUngary

I have been doing a lot of research on how to get UK TV without the use of a computer when I actually move to Hungary. I contacted various company's here in the UK, and many forwarded the following:
The UK TV channels and other free to air programs are transmitted on the 'spot beam of the Astra 2' satellite at 28.2 degrees East of South which is tightly focused over the UK. These can be received on any digital satellite receiver providing the signal is strong enough. It looks like according to the satellite footprint data you will require a dish of 2.2m to 2.5m receive them in the Keszthely area.
A Sky box is possible theoretically, providing your subscription is paid in the UK and the same card is used in the same box. This is a matter of trial and error.

If anyone gives this a go, or has any other solutions, I would be very interested. Until I have any more information I will be aiming to comply with the above. Also I am interested to know if anyone could recomend any shops to buy the dish.

Hope this is of some help.

anonimouse Jan 12th 2011 1:29 pm

Re: TV Reception in HUngary

Hi Bronty,

I'm a little higher up than you maybe 70kms, near Sarvar. I use two satellite systems one for my portable Tv which is the satellite in a suitcase that is used by travelers in camper vans, I get a lot of English channels on this and the dish is plastic and tiny, I use Astra 28.2 or 19.2.

In my lounge I have a normal Sky box. I didn't want to fork out for a 2mtr dish as they are quite expensive, I went into a local hardware shop and purchased a 1.20 m dish for about 6000ft and an lnb for 3000ft, it works a treat, I cant get BBc's But I get ITV 1 but no other ITV's all the channel Fives, true movies and that sort of thing, for the cost of about 30 quid I am very happy, I am confident that if I had a larger dish I would get BBc's as well.

One thing to note though, My friend who lives close by (about 20kms towards you) has the same dish and can not get the Channel Fives or ITV's on his box but he can when I put my box on, so it would seem that some boxes are better than others at receiving the signals too.

Hope you get some luck, life improved so much for us when we had decent TV to watch.

Rural Hungary Jan 12th 2011 3:00 pm

Re: TV Reception in HUngary

I think it really is a case of trying and seeing as some have had success and others failed, though I don't of anyone who has successfully managed to obtain all of the channels.

I did look out a couple of sites for Klarika last month, though neither advertise the larger dishes for sale and I'm not aware as to whether she had any success. You might find some further information the other thread, which I will merge with this one. :)

Ewan Jan 14th 2011 8:01 pm

For iplayer you might need a vpn tunnel over a proxy, this, http://www.gettvabroad.com/, site might help. As for it being illegal? Bit of a grey area I'd say, breech of eula/contract perhaps, but that's a civil not a criminal matter n'est-ce pas?

Rural Hungary Jan 15th 2011 7:16 am

I think Vpn's have already been discussed and they are illegal when used to watch UK TV. There is a realm of information on it, if you google it. Nothing to do with breach of eula, I'm sure many VPN suppliers don't care what you do with the service so long as you pay for it. However, it is a breach of the TV company's licensing laws.