British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   English TV in Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/english-tv-hungary-663194/)

FenTiger Aug 15th 2014 3:19 pm

Re: English TV in Hungary

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 11363653)
Okay, time to chill out folks. Goodness, there was me thinking only politics would need to go into the "bogracs buli" :unsure:

Being the wonderfully diverse species that we are, we all have different interests and so long as those interests are legal and don't hurt anybody else then it's a case of each to their own.

As a mother, I do restrict my children's viewing time, especially of what I class as drivel and I think we would all agree that there is indeed a lot of it though we might differ in our opinions of what actually constitutes drivel.

I have to agree about restricting children's TV viewing time. Sometimes some of it is just not suitable for children of any age. Children shouldn't be forced to grow up before their time.

Some people have a good reason for watching TV, i.e. like myself I can't follow anything via radio because I'm deaf so am reliant on TV via subtitles/captions or interpreted into sign language. Subtitled TV in Hungary is increasing but has a long way to go to catch up with UK TV. There seems to be a lot of football on Hungarian TV and if that's all I could watch I'd be more than happy! Watching Hungarian TV with subtitles would be a great aid in helping me learn Hungarian although I'm sure within a month the pages of my dictionary would be well thumbed!

FenTiger Aug 26th 2014 11:36 am

If anyone is interested in knowing the teletext page numbers required for watching Hungarian TV, presumably in analogue, with subtitles I can find out what they are. Apparently, different channels use different page numbers, unlike in the UK in the pre-digital the tetelext page numbers were 888 for all channels.

kohoutek Jan 9th 2015 4:33 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Just hooked this up at our house near Sarvar..... No problem whatsoever

;);)

Michael/Julie

FenTiger Jan 11th 2015 8:50 am

Originally Posted by kohoutek (Post 11527654)
Just hooked this up at our house near Sarvar..... No problem whatsoever

;);)

Michael/Julie

What TV channels are you able to receive? I note it's Wi-Fi enabled so assume you will be watching via internet?

Pollypaprika Jan 11th 2015 9:26 am

If you buy a Minix Android Media Box you can watch almost anything you like via the internet. Just plug it into TV. Simples :-)

kohoutek Jan 11th 2015 10:54 am

I like my Sports channels, picks up and decodes everything bar BBC, ITV, C4, c5 due to needing a bigger dish size. I was surprised as we are only on 5 meg in the village and it decoded well, get the odd glitch, but I can live with that for the price

FenTiger Jan 12th 2015 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by kohoutek (Post 11529393)
I like my Sports channels, picks up and decodes everything bar BBC, ITV, C4, c5 due to needing a bigger dish size. I was surprised as we are only on 5 meg in the village and it decoded well, get the odd glitch, but I can live with that for the price

I find Sports coverage much better in Hungary than UK.

mr87009 Jan 12th 2015 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika (Post 11529350)
If you buy a Minix Android Media Box you can watch almost anything you like via the internet. Just plug it into TV. Simples :-)

Can you get all the UK channels then? Is it really that easy?!!

Matt

kohoutek Jan 12th 2015 8:12 pm

Yes apart from BBC ITV CH4 CH5, due to needing big dish, Watching Sky Movies right now.

You need a dish to point at astra, and cable to modem for decoding

Michael

mr87009 Jan 12th 2015 10:10 pm

Michael - I think we're at cross purposes here I was replying to Pollypaprika's post. I haven't got a dish, nor do I want one really! :-)

Matt

MarkInMalta Aug 16th 2015 5:46 am

English TV in Hungary

Our internet connection from T-Com via a phone line is very slow - we live at the west end of balaton Lake.

We currently have what seems to be an 85 cm dish on the roof and up to 1st August were able to watch UK Channel 4 and 4+1 via a satellite dish and receiver. Unfortunately apparently due to changes on 1st August that is no longer possible.

Does anyone know whether it would make any difference if we had a 100 cm dish - the problem in Hungary, as I am sure you all know, is that sometimes it gets very windy so I am not sure that I would be happy to have a dish larger than 100 cms on the roof because it may cause us structural problems.

Because our internet is very slow, tv via the internet is not really an option

Best regards

Mark

John Gilbert Aug 16th 2015 6:50 am

Originally Posted by MarkInMalta (Post 11724862)
Our internet connection from T-Com via a phone line is very slow - we live at the west end of balaton Lake.

We currently have what seems to be an 85 cm dish on the roof and up to 1st August were able to watch UK Channel 4 and 4+1 via a satellite dish and receiver. Unfortunately apparently due to changes on 1st August that is no longer possible.

Does anyone know whether it would make any difference if we had a 100 cm dish - the problem in Hungary, as I am sure you all know, is that sometimes it gets very windy so I am not sure that I would be happy to have a dish larger than 100 cms on the roof because it may cause us structural problems.

Because our internet is very slow, tv via the internet is not really an option

Best regards

Mark

We are still getting (Irish) Channel 4 and 4 + 1. Maybe your dish have been moved by the weather?

vorsman Aug 16th 2015 5:48 pm

First T com. Have you a cabled option in your area it would seem likely as pretty well the whole of the end of the lake and the villages do.

If you can get say 5mb plus you can buy an XBMC box with the latest Kodi operating system and have up to 6000 add ons. This can include Sky Sports channels, all the terrestrial UK BBC ITV etc and goodness knows how many movie channels. All for free and the box with a wifi keyboard is around £50 on ebay. Look under XBMC In TV etc.

MarkInMalta Aug 17th 2015 2:52 pm

I will get the dish checked but I posed this question on another website and their response was that from 1st August the satellite had changed its orbit and that was the reason why we were no longer getting Channel 4 and 4+1 - it was the Irish version that we were receiving before - obvious because of the adverts. And sure enough our lack of receipt of channel 4 started on 1st August.

Regarding the internet when we first signed up over the phone with T-com they told us we would get 5MB but when the installation team came they told us - through a local interpreter next door - that we would get only a little over 1MB.

It's pretty pathetic but we live in Balatonkeresztur, nowhere near any large town, and apparently the cables are very old and don't permit fast download.

We only stay four months of the year but my wife liked many Channel 4 programs and we would be very interested in any solution to the problem.

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions, appreciate your help.

vorsman Aug 17th 2015 5:25 pm

Strange. Balatonbereny, St George, Vors, mariafurdo are all cabled so why not Keretszur. Have you enquired from neighbours etc to see what is available. Apart from speed the cable companies here offer a holiday package which many people we know take advantage of. For a small surcharge per month you can hav e6 months internet and you just tell them the period which you want it to be operable from and they switch it on and off accordingly. So many holiday homes in the area you see.

A good source of what is happening with the satellites is Latest Astra 2E news and potential loss of BBC & ITV satellite channels in Southern Spain and Portugal. who have all the up to date info (not Sky but a private company).

Cannot help you on Channel 4 as we run a 1.9 meter dish and so do all of our friends.