Reload this Page >

English TV in Hungary

English TV in Hungary

Old Aug 6th 2014, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

vorsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English TV in Hungary

Originally Posted by FenTiger View Post
Has there been any change to accessing English TV via satellite?

I have also wondered what the EU's view was on broadcasters using spot beam signal instead of the wider beam signal from the older satellites? I would not think the EU would find using spot beam being beneficial to EU residents moving between countries.
No changes at all.

As to the EU this is nothing to do with them it is the individual broadcasters wanting to restrict the reception of their content.Mostly this is down to the content makers (US studios for the most part) putting pressure on like the BBC and ITV as a lot of the content is broadcast to mainland Europe via pay channels and they complain. To be fair the BBC do say they have no duty to provide a stronger signal for the benefit of ex pats who are not contributing to the licence fee. Sky of course is still on the pan european wide beam.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to be a stick in the mud but television pollutes ones ability to think for ones self. I haven't owned or watched TV for more than 20 years. Society needs to get away from the propaganda and brain numbing garbage that poses at entertainment. As much as there seems to be to do in Hungary, why would you want to watch TV?
Old Aug 6th 2014, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever View Post
I hate to be a stick in the mud but television pollutes ones ability to think for ones self. I haven't owned or watched TV for more than 20 years. Society needs to get away from the propaganda and brain numbing garbage that poses at entertainment. As much as there seems to be to do in Hungary, why would you want to watch TV?
Not all of us watch soaps and game shows.

Having said that if you are selective in what you watch like you can be selective with the internet as I assume you are (despite it having a wealth of entertainment etc on it) then it can be a positive if you learn something useful from it.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree with the bit about '... brain numbing garbage .....'

Although I currently live in UK I know for certain that once I am in Hungary I won't be missing anything ...... will probably be too busy meeting up with friends or exploring Hungary.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

We will keep the internet because of the useful information that can be found on the net. Hopefully we can learn to make wine and grow a few vines and fruit trees. Hopefully we can eat healthier from homegrown veggies also and from barter with the new neighbors. I don't see us owning a wine house but maybe having 100 grapevines of different varieties. I doubt we are up to the work required to become professional vintners.

sorry for getting so far off topic!

Last edited by Jack_Russells4ever; Aug 6th 2014 at 6:22 pm. Reason: additional thought
Old Aug 7th 2014, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I also went for some years in UK not watching telly, as I found I was not watching it enough to justify the ever increasing licence fee. I did always miss the wildlife programmes though, David Attenborough et al. These days you can find almost anything on Youtube so I manage well enough here in Hungary with just the internet. I do listen to UK radio on BBC iPlayer, mainly Radio 4 Extra.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

We have not had a TV since we have lived in Hungary...everything is from the internet or Iplayer etc. The only reason I would have a TV now is so I could learn Hungarian faster.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 8:08 am
Just Joined

atox is a jewel in the roughatox is a jewel in the roughatox is a jewel in the roughatox is a jewel in the roughatox is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Polgardi View Post
... The only reason I would have a TV now is so I could learn Hungarian faster.
If you wanna watch some Hungarian tv:

mtva/mtv2live

mtva/mtv1live

mtva/dunaworldlive

mtva/dunalive
Old Aug 7th 2014, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by atox View Post
If you wanna watch some Hungarian tv:

mtva/mtv2live

mtva/mtv1live

mtva/dunaworldlive

mtva/dunalive
Thank you...the trouble is I am not disciplined enough to watch them....I meant if I had a TV I would probably just leave it on a Hungarian channel and try to absorb it. I do it with the radio...but not having a visual clue can be difficult
Old Aug 7th 2014, 8:40 am
Just Joined

atox is a jewel in the roughatox is a jewel in the roughatox is a jewel in the roughatox is a jewel in the roughatox is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Polgardi View Post
Thank you...the trouble is I am not disciplined enough to watch them....I meant if I had a TV I would probably just leave it on a Hungarian channel and try to absorb it. I do it with the radio...but not having a visual clue can be difficult
I know the feeling, unplugged our sky box so that we're 'forced' to watch Hungarian tv instead.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 10:04 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have a TV ariel never mind satellite! Anything we do watch is streamed though with a 1mb connection, it can be painful. Stopped the kids watching brain numbing American sitcoms and cartoons though
Old Aug 9th 2014, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Being deaf I'm reliant on subtitles/captions to follow anything on TV. My Hungarian wife has said there's more and more programmes being subtitled (and obviously others dubbed in Hungarian). I used to know a French guy living in the UK and he learnt English through watching British TV with subtitles. Hope I get up to his standard one day for Hungarian!

My one biggest fear about not having anything to watch on TV is I would have to play scrabble with my wife every night ...... despite the fact she is not English .... she's thrashed me at times. Wonder if I'll ever be able to thrash her at the Hungarian version?

Lastly, the most important programme for me would be anything to do with football and in Hungary they seem to get alot more of it on TV than we do in the UK.
Old Aug 9th 2014, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

The implication being that anyone who watches is restricted in their ability to think for themselves and is sucker for mind numbing garbage and propoganda.

Maybe not having a television causes people to believe it is perfectly appropriate to be condescending to the vast majority of society?????????????
Old Aug 9th 2014, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by llareggub View Post
The implication being that anyone who watches is restricted in their ability to think for themselves and is sucker for mind numbing garbage and propoganda.

Maybe not having a television causes people to believe it is perfectly appropriate to be condescending to the vast majority of society?????????????
Thank you for elegantly phrasing your reply on this subject. I had considered a reply but could not really find anything to say apart from inverted snobbery perhaps.
Old Aug 9th 2014, 2:51 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, time to chill out folks. Goodness, there was me thinking only politics would need to go into the "bogracs buli"

Being the wonderfully diverse species that we are, we all have different interests and so long as those interests are legal and don't hurt anybody else then it's a case of each to their own.

As a mother, I do restrict my children's viewing time, especially of what I class as drivel and I think we would all agree that there is indeed a lot of it though we might differ in our opinions of what actually constitutes drivel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.