British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   English TV in Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/english-tv-hungary-663194/)

klarika Dec 15th 2013 3:09 pm

Re: English TV in Hungary

Originally Posted by llareggub (Post 11037713)
Sorry, my misunderstanding...

It does seem as thought is is possible from a brief web search all the the mechanics of getting it working vary depending upon make of TV and also to a degree the provider of your VPN :)

It would seem that quite a few of the VPN providers seem to have walk through instructions on how to set it up by make of TV...

My VPN provider says it can't be done via VPN direct
To TV However it can be done via Smart DNS waiting for him
To elaborate on this also not sure which
Smart TV would be best suited here in Hungary

Rural Hungary Dec 18th 2013 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by llareggub (Post 11037713)
It does seem as thought is is possible from a brief web search all the the mechanics of getting it working vary depending upon make of TV and also to a degree the provider of your VPN :)

It would seem that quite a few of the VPN providers seem to have walk through instructions on how to set it up by make of TV...

You are right in that it's easy enough if using a router, just route to the VPN and run all traffic through the router. Smart DNS is okay but less secure and can't access as many sites as VPN.

FenTiger Dec 18th 2013 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 11043187)
You are right in that it's easy enough if using a router, just route to the VPN and run all traffic through the router. Smart DNS is okay but less secure and can't access as many sites as VPN.

Can you get subtitles/captions?

atox Jan 24th 2014 3:40 pm

A quick tip for those that want to watch hulu.com, bbc iplayer, fox.com, ... online from within Hungary without paying for vpn.

Step 1: Install the media hint browser plugin (free). Is only available for chrome and firefox.
Step 2: Done

It's quite easy and seems to be fast enough to be watchable from here.

hirschhs Jan 25th 2014 7:33 am

Excellent tip! Many thanks.

Pollypaprika Jan 25th 2014 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by atox (Post 11094864)
A quick tip for those that want to watch hulu.com, bbc iplayer, fox.com, ... online from within Hungary without paying for vpn.

Step 1: Install the media hint browser plugin (free). Is only available for chrome and firefox.
Step 2: Done

It's quite easy and seems to be fast enough to be watchable from here.

:goodpost:

vorsman Feb 10th 2014 3:51 pm

Any advice please. Have set up PC to run through VPN for TV. Channel 4 and BBC i player are fine. Cannot get any sound on Channel 5 and ITV and cannot understand why?

Anyone out there have any clues?

Mitzyboy Feb 10th 2014 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by vorsman (Post 11122000)
Any advice please. Have set up PC to run through VPN for TV. Channel 4 and BBC i player are fine. Cannot get any sound on Channel 5 and ITV and cannot understand why?

Anyone out there have any clues?

I did this some time back. I'm guessing the cable you have to the TV is video only, not audio .... hence you may only get sound through the PC, not through the TV

vorsman Feb 11th 2014 8:42 am

First sorted the no sound on ITV problem.

I had posed a question that if equipment was upgraded, fine tuned etc etc would we receive UK on our dishes ranging up to 1.8m.

The reply from a technical site was they had received info from a person in Graz who was extremely technical savvy and has a 3m dish and he had lost the channels. As we are further east they conclude, obviously, no chance for us.

This is just so no one spends any time, effort or money on trying to upgrade in the hope of getting the signals for BBC etc back.

richardmc Feb 11th 2014 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by vorsman (Post 11123541)
First sorted the no sound on ITV problem.

I had posed a question that if equipment was upgraded, fine tuned etc etc would we receive UK on our dishes ranging up to 1.8m.

The reply from a technical site was they had received info from a person in Graz who was extremely technical savvy and has a 3m dish and he had lost the channels. As we are further east they conclude, obviously, no chance for us.

This is just so no one spends any time, effort or money on trying to upgrade in the hope of getting the signals for BBC etc back.

Looks like Itv/Channel 4 etc has gone too. Never mind,
have VPN also so back to the computer

klarika Feb 12th 2014 10:11 am

Originally Posted by richardmc (Post 11124173)
Looks like Itv/Channel 4 etc has gone too. Never mind,
have VPN also so back to the computer

Good to have met you both last night at Pikis had a great laugh :lol:

richardmc Feb 12th 2014 10:52 am

Originally Posted by klarika (Post 11125962)
Good to have met you both last night at Pikis had a great laugh :lol:

Also glad we both met you and hubby properly at last, yes we had a great happy night with you, Brian/Sue, Hungarian Sue and the chap (biker man) sorry we forgot his name, seems we share many views, see you both next week sometime if you can make it. :thumbsup:

Rural Hungary Feb 12th 2014 11:03 am

Wondered why my ears were burning ;)

klarika Feb 12th 2014 12:48 pm

:rofl

Originally Posted by richardmc (Post 11126026)
Also glad we both met you and hubby properly at last, yes we had a great happy night with you, Brian/Sue, Hungarian Sue and the chap (biker man) sorry we forgot his name, seems we share many views, see you both next week sometime if you can make it. :thumbsup:

:rofl:

FenTiger Aug 6th 2014 11:41 am

Has there been any change to accessing English TV via satellite?

I have also wondered what the EU's view was on broadcasters using spot beam signal instead of the wider beam signal from the older satellites? I would not think the EU would find using spot beam being beneficial to EU residents moving between countries.