British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   English TV in Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/english-tv-hungary-663194/)

vorsman Nov 2nd 2013 10:11 am

Re: English TV in Hungary

I have ploughed through most of the treads here but as the new satellite is up there it would seem we are going to lose everything but Sky in the next few weeks.

Some people are using the VPN Hide my Ass whereas others say it is not so good. What VPN would anyone out there recommend please.

Mitzyboy Nov 2nd 2013 10:22 am

Originally Posted by vorsman (Post 10973473)
I have ploughed through most of the treads here but as the new satellite is up there it would seem we are going to lose everything but Sky in the next few weeks.

Some people are using the VPN Hide my Ass whereas others say it is not so good. What VPN would anyone out there recommend please.

Ive used hide my ass for about a year now in Spain and in the UK. Compared to sopme VPN's its fine. Have downloaded films and stremed no problem. With VPN's it usually decreases the speed somewhat, but HMA has been good for all Ive used it for and worth paying for.

hirschhs Nov 3rd 2013 5:51 am

we have used several in China (where a good VPN is essential) and here. The best overall that we have found, in terms of price, reliability, user-friendliness and support is: Easy-Hide-IP

Rural Hungary Nov 3rd 2013 8:01 am

Our VPN has seen a large increase in usage over the past couple of weeks - guess more people are realising they can only get the UK channels this way. Fortunately, VPNUK allows you to select which server you use, think there are about 30 UK servers, and you can see how many are on that server at any one time.

FenTiger Nov 5th 2013 11:32 am

Do you watch TV via a SmartTV or TV with internet connection or laptop/pc connected to TV?

I hope a solution is found for using satelite. Seems a bit harsh to block some regions in Europe when others surrounding UK can or probably can still access British TV, i.e. Republic of Ireland and some areas in North France.

Well, I still have another 6 years to go before I move over so things might be different by then. I don't fancy having to play scrabble every night and half the time getting thrashed by my Hungarian wife!

hirschhs Nov 5th 2013 12:39 pm

I'm sure it's been mentioned but I can't find it here... www.filmon.com provides free or subscription live TV including all the UK channels. Subscription allows for recording of programmes for later viewing and (I think) removal of ads - I'm trying the free version now and it seems excellent.

Rural Hungary Nov 5th 2013 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by hirschhs (Post 10977454)
I'm sure it's been mentioned but I can't find it here... www.filmon.com provides free or subscription live TV including all the UK channels. Subscription allows for recording of programmes for later viewing and (I think) removal of ads - I'm trying the free version now and it seems excellent.

Filmon have been plagued with legal issues and might not be around for long. VPN is a fraction of the price and you can watch on iplayer if you missed a show. You can also watch missed shows for free and without a VPN on sites such as watchseries and channelcut - usually they are posted the day after airing.

vorsman Nov 6th 2013 9:14 am

it most prob is on here but:

If I buy a Sky HD box in the UK (am viewing here with ordinary Sky Box) can I phone from here and get my new box activated. Obviously the phone call to them would not show where from.

dave1982 Nov 11th 2013 8:15 pm

Is there such a thing as a TV license fee in Hungary?

cathyg Nov 12th 2013 5:01 am

I would want some decent tv if there was :D

dave1982 Nov 12th 2013 5:28 am

Hey we pay for a license in the U.K. but still don't get any decent tv. Only repeats.

fidobsa Nov 12th 2013 7:33 am

Yes, I hardly watched TV in UK before I came here as it seemed to be mostly rubbish anyway. The main thing I miss is the wildlife programmes, Attenborough etc.

Rural Hungary Nov 12th 2013 8:05 am

You can find most UK programmes online and watch by streaming without a VPN. PM or email me if you would like some links.

gcroft Nov 12th 2013 8:17 am

Yes please.
We use a VPN but other links would be very handy.

Rural Hungary Nov 12th 2013 8:44 am

Done