Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

English movie theatre/cinema on North-Balaton?

English movie theatre/cinema on North-Balaton?

Old Jan 23rd 2014, 12:56 am
Just Joined

atox is a jewel in the roughatox is a jewel in the roughatox is a jewel in the roughatox is a jewel in the roughatox is a jewel in the rough
Default English movie theatre/cinema on North-Balaton?

Hi there,

We're a young couple that bought a house in Hungary a few months ago, we're slowly getting settled in but our grasp of the Hungarian language isn't really all that great yet.

Does anyone know of a movie theatre that shows movies in their original language?

Thanks a lot
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English movie theatre/cinema on North-Balaton?

Hi Atox

Not sure whereabouts you are on the north shore? Cinema City in Veszprem sometimes shows films in the original language. I haven't been in the cinema but it is in a modern mall just like you would find in the UK. You can google the website.
Good luck with settling in, if you need any help or advice there are plenty of people on here who will help you. We have also had a lot of help from neighbours. It is surprising how many of them speak some English once you get talking to them.
By the way if you do live near Veszprem please get in touch with the American Corner in Veszprem, it is in the library. They have an English conversation club every week and have been an enormous help to me.
Good luck
Cathy
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 8:04 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the BE forums. All cinemas show some films with Hungarian subtitles. You just have to check the programme for whether the film is subtitled or dubbed. There is usually at least one a week in English.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

atox is a jewel in the roughatox is a jewel in the roughatox is a jewel in the roughatox is a jewel in the roughatox is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Cathy & Rural Hungary,

I was in the shopping mall in Veszprem a few months ago and didn't immediately see an English title in the list of movies so I just assumed that they didn't show any English spoken ones. Will look better next time.

Will also check out the American Corner in Veszprem, Veszprem is a ~40 minutes drive from here but we end up going there every 2-3 weeks.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 8:40 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

If you look on the program or cinema website, films that are dubbed say "szinkr". If the film says Angol but not "szinkr" then it will be in English.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the tip, that should help tons.

I always kept focussing on the titles of movies.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 9:05 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

You're welcome, looking here it seems only American Hustle is in English. Worth watching though a bit slow to get going.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
You're welcome, looking here it seems only American Hustle is in English. Worth watching though a bit slow to get going.
Perfect, now I know what we'll be doing on sunday (if we're not snowed in by then that is )
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Perfect, now I know what we'll be doing on sunday (if we're not snowed in by then that is )
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 9:28 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hope you enjoy it, it's a good film though I think it was somewhat over hyped and preferred Wolf on Wall Street - De Caprio was amazing.
Funny story, the trailers and marketing for Wolf on Wall Street in no way give any indication of the amount of sex and drugs in the film. We had a good idea having read IMDB. Taking our seats, we were surprised to see three little old ladies in front of us and an elderly couple sat in the seats behind. My daughter and I looked at each other and simultaneously said, they don't know what this film is about! I have never heard so many "oh my's", intakes of breath and tutting throughout a film.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, we watched Wolf on Wall Street yesterday evening (with Hungarian subs!) and heard some good stories from people that went to see the movie with their parents, awkward.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 5:03 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atox
Yeah, we watched Wolf on Wall Street yesterday evening (with Hungarian subs!) and heard some good stories from people that went to see the movie with their parents, awkward.
Like the weather web cam - thanks - good to see what's going on just down the road from our place
Old Jan 25th 2014, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Nice to run into someone that knows where Monostorapáti is, you're planning on moving to Tapolca? Nice city, we did spend a bit of time in the park there when it was still sunny outside.

Originally Posted by John Gilbert
Like the weather web cam - thanks - good to see what's going on just down the road from our place
Old Jan 25th 2014, 10:33 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atox
Nice to run into someone that knows where Monostorapáti is, you're planning on moving to Tapolca? Nice city, we did spend a bit of time in the park there when it was still sunny outside.
Nagyvazsony, Vigantpetend, Kapolcs, Pula and Monostoraparti. The beautiful "valley of the arts". This part of the world doesn't get mentioned much on the forum but it's beautiful. We have a little house on the hill looking over Lesenceistvand the other side of Tapolca.

Your weather web cam is near enough to give a good idea of what's going on - thanks
Old Jan 30th 2014, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yesterday on this Cold Winter Day I gave hear a chance to Watch back to back my two favorite Films First to Show Mr. Banks the storey behind Mary Poppins the wife is Hungarian and never seen Mary Poppins but to day she is going around trying to Sing and Get the words wright for A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go,s down, both back to back certainly helps to put a smile on any one this weather digger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.