Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Electricity Cut Off

Electricity Cut Off

Old Mar 16th 2016, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity Cut Off

I have always tried to steer clear of direct debit as it seems to me to be an invitation for organisations to help themselves to as much as they want. It's like going in a shop and handing over your wallet rather than counting out the amount they ask for.

I still don't know what work needs doing but I do know that I was cut off for technical, not financial reasons. EON came last September to inspect my meters etc. I thought they were checking to make sure I was not stealing electricity or using the cheap rate for the wrong purposes or whatever. When they finished they got me to sign a document. I thought nothing about it as they did not attempt to point out any irregularities or whatever. I knew the electrics were very basic but I guess they are typical of older houses in rural parts of Hungary. Apparently the document I signed was saying that my electrics were defective or had been tampered with and I had a certain amount of time to get them put right. Today they also gave me a copy of a letter dated February 5th which was supposed to be a reminder. This must be the one I didn't get but they say it was ordinary post, not recorded delivery.

They have given me a list of approved electricians and say I need to initially consult one of those and they will know what needs doing. There is also a form to fill in which the sparky must sign when the job is completed and EON will then re-connect within 8 days.

I would much prefer to get quarterly bills the same as in UK as it is a pain having to pay 50 odd utility bills a year, mostly for trivial amounts. For the state health payments they send me 12 monthly bills all at once. I have been tempted to pay all 12 together at the start of the year but then they might increase the amount half way through (they leave the amount blank so I have to fill that in).
Old Mar 16th 2016, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I have always tried to steer clear of direct debit as it seems to me to be an invitation for organisations to help themselves to as much as they want...................
Direct debits are safe ! The banks are very strict about who they allow to operate this scheme and will stop anyone who abuses the system. You can also set a maximum amount that can be debited directly.

Apparently the document I signed was saying that my electrics were defective or had been tampered with and I had a certain amount of time to get them put right..................
Maybe a silly question but why are you signing a letter you don't understand? I would never sign anything that I could not understand fully.

I would much prefer to get quarterly bills the same as in UK as it is a pain having to pay 50 odd utility bills a year, mostly for trivial amounts. For the state health payments they send me 12 monthly bills all at once. I have been tempted to pay all 12 together at the start of the year but then they might increase the amount half way through (they leave the amount blank so I have to fill that in).
The NI payments are fixed for the year starting January so you could pay the lot at once or set up a standing order for monthly payments, although banks charge for each transaction. We pay all our utilities on-line with a debit card, and find that this works for us, once a month sit down at the keyboard.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

vorsman is an unknown quantity at this point

generally speaking when services are cut off it does mean that the house installation is reviewed and has to be brought up to modern safe standards. This has happened to several people. The moral of the story is never under any circumstances let this happen and if you do go away a lot ensure direct debits are in place.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vorsman
The moral of the story is never under any circumstances let this happen and if you do go away a lot ensure direct debits are in place.
That would have made no difference in this case as it was not cut off due to debt. I don't know if these inspections are done systematically to all properties or by random sampling but they had the document ready prepared so I don't think it was a one off. The irony of it is that I did make enquiries about having the system upgraded from 20 amps to a higher current but decided against it when I heard about the structural damage they sometimes do to buildings. I was also told that I would have to have a new meter box in a different location as they don't disturb the old installation until the new one is in place. This would mean bricking up and rendering the old box opening, a job I could well do without.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

vorsman is an unknown quantity at this point

While in Hungary they do not seem to make it up as they go along like in Spain they do appear to have several different rule books. It looks like your enquiry may have triggered off a search in rule book 17 or whatever.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

When I say I made enquiries I mean I talked to other expats who had already had their supply upgraded so they could run an electric cooker or whatever.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

The amusing thing about my upgrade is that the 4 new wires from the pole to the house look to be at least twice the diameter of the wires running from pole to pole.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

The ones from pole to pole may not be insulated. Yesterday I did the final connection to the consumer unit for the room I have been rewiring at the Croatia house. I was looking at the input wires to the consumer unit and noticed there are 2 spares which are not connected. It looks like I have a 3 phase supply but only one phase is in use.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

When I say I made enquiries I mean I talked to other expats who had already had their supply upgraded so they could run an electric cooker or whatever.
If you ever find out why they made the inspection - and what they found so dangerous that they had to disconnect........Could you please let us know !
Old Apr 5th 2016, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was back in Hungary for the day yesterday, mainly to mow the grass and collect the mower for use in Croatia. As expected there were bills to pay for internet and water but I had thought there would be no new electric bills. Not so, there was a set of 3 electric bills, dated a month apart!

Do EON have the monopoly or is it like UK where you can change electricity suppliers? I don't suppose Hungary has an equivalent to the UK regulator, OFGEM?
Old Apr 5th 2016, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you do nothing and have estimated readings with an annual reconciliation then EON send out 3 months (one quarters bills) in advance (to save them postage) and you are expected a) not to lose them and b) pay them on the due date.

There is a regulator - but sorry I don't know their name. You should start with the consumer protection people and they will point you in the right direction.

As far as I know there is no opportunity to switch suppliers, but in any event the supplier only provides the electricity, there is no way that you can change the infrastructure supplier/owner.

Consumer protection law here is very weak compared to the UK. There is a sort of small claims court, that I was told was modelled on the English system unfortunately the whole system was not adopted, just parts, which means that it is fairly ineffective.

Do you know why the original inspection was made and what was so dangerous that a disconnection was deemed necessary?
Old Jun 28th 2016, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

I still don't know why I was cut off but at least there is finally some progress. I'm getting more confused about who does what though. The electrician got me to go to the house and sign some documents yesterday as he is ready to get EON to reconnect. He was originally going to set the new box into the wall but a different wall to the old box. He then said the new cable would have to go underground and he has actually planted the new box in the front lawn. The meters are not in the box so I assume he is not allowed to move them (same as in UK). What I don't understand is that he does not seem to have run cables from box to house. The only cable visible is an earth one which I guess goes to an earth rod in the soil. It looks like EON have to lay a cable from pole to box and another from box to house. I suppose the main trip switch will also be in the new box.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

With a new connection (which you will now have) you get 15m into your property free, any more than that you have to pay for. so you could find that the box in the front lawn is at the 15m point. The standard supply now is 32A any more than that will be charged as extra. The standard of 32A applies to both day and night meters (if you are going have a night meter.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

A bit more progress. They have now run the cable down the side of the pole and underground to the meter box. The final stage involves both my electrician and EON and I have to be there to hand over about 150,000 ft for the privilage of having no electricity for half the year!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Sep 5th 2016, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

cyprustractorboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Feel for you , we had a problem when we took over our house as the previous owner had a working farm so business rates applied what a game to tell the company that it was no longer a business and was a domestic residence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.