Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Electrical equipment

Electrical equipment

Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Tonymol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical equipment

Hi, would a TV and microwave bought in the UK work without a problem in Hungary?
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

MarkyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrical equipment

The microwave definitely will. I would've thought the TV would as they use the same system as the UK. I think the digital terrestrial TV is the same system in Hungary as in the UK, but there aren't as many channels (about 8 I think). You will have no problem if using an external device connected to the TV using an HDMI input. Obviously you will need to use an adaptor or change the plugs to plug it in. I'm taking a UK TV and a microwave to Hungary when I move, so hoping they will work there too.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Tonymol is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, would it just retune automatically to the Hungarian channels?
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

MarkyP is an unknown quantity at this point

You will most likely have to go into the menu and select autotune or something similar. It's unlikely it will tune itself unless the TV was restored to factory settings.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

I did read somewhere that the t.v visuals will work fine but the audio will not …. I did bring a t.v with me but have only used it with a dvd player … and the microwave works fine as do all the other appliances I brought over !
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

A UK TV will work fine - I have a small Toshiba TV from the uk and use it to watch HU digi channels on. I also was brought a HU TV for christmas (2016) which obviously works in hungary and both are still working fine. I have three TV Ariel sockets in my flat (one in the kichen, bedroom and hallway). I took the cupboards out of my hallway and converted it into a TV area/mini lounge for guests.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

jetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
I did read somewhere that the t.v visuals will work fine but the audio will not …. I did bring a t.v with me but have only used it with a dvd player … and the microwave works fine as do all the other appliances I brought over !
I think in the old days (don't ask me how I know about them ) with the analogue signal a UK tv had no sound because the sound wave was in a different frequency, but with the age of digital TV I believe it is ok now
Old Apr 4th 2019, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetblackonetenth
I think in the old days (don't ask me how I know about them ) with the analogue signal a UK tv had no sound because the sound wave was in a different frequency, but with the age of digital TV I believe it is ok now
Yes, that makes sense … I guess the article I was reading was referring to analogue broadcasts as there is no reason why digital shouldn't work !