Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Electrical Cabling for Washing Machine

Electrical Cabling for Washing Machine

Old Oct 7th 2021, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Electrical Cabling for Washing Machine

Not sure if I posted this already!

After we moved into our new house and needed to order a washing machine we realised that the electrical cabling for the washing machine would not reach the electrical socket because it's on the other side of the bathroom! So similar to the previous owner's solution we are using an extension cable but we think we remembered she just let the extension cable rest on the radiator when in use. During winter when the radiator is in use this would get quite hot so not sure if it's safe to leave the 2 gang switched extension lead on the radiator.

I thought maybe use cable clips to ensure the extension cable is not resting on the radiator. Only one snag I have been looking for a bracket (or sleeve) to fix the 2 gang switched extension lead to the wall but cannot find anything suitable. I've seen something in Auchan and on the Praktiker Website which looks more like a plastic sleeve but I'm certain there's no way the 2 gang switched part will fit in it.

I've looked at wall mounted sockets which I think is the longer term solution but most "pattresses" (correct word?) don't seem to have holes in the sides. I have found some "pattresses" online but not the socket part to fit the "pattress"

Sorry, if the above is bit confusing! I know exactly what I need to find but when I actually look in the stores or online I never seem to find what I want!

Probably have to get in an electrician to come up with a solution.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

xavierx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrical Cabling for Washing Machine

If I am understanding you correctly, you want a flush mount "device box" with side cutout options?

Like this?

https://www.obi.hu/bekoetodobozok/ko...ip20/p/2815785

If you can't find the exact type you want in Hungary, another option is to use the UK style white patress boxes (which are readily available with side cutout options ) then you can actually buy the Hungarian "Schuko Type F" socket that fits the UK patress box. Obviously this is a more expensive option than sourcing locally

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/plug-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old Oct 7th 2021, 3:21 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Nick, just a thought. If the ceiling light fixture is near the washing machine, why not have an electrician look up in the attic and see if he can run another set of wires that are NOT on the switch leg thru the ceiling box and then have the electrician cut a channel in the ceiling or use a surface mount raceway to get the wire to the wall behind the washer, and then run a surface mount raceway and outlet box where you need it. No doubt there will be tile on the wall to prevent having the wires installed in the wall. Just a thought.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xavierx
If I am understanding you correctly, you want a flush mount "device box" with side cutout options?

Like this?

https://www.obi.hu/bekoetodobozok/ko...ip20/p/2815785

If you can't find the exact type you want in Hungary, another option is to use the UK style white patress boxes (which are readily available with side cutout options ) then you can actually buy the Hungarian "Schuko Type F" socket that fits the UK patress box. Obviously this is a more expensive option than sourcing locally

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/plug-sockets/2676491/?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Fuses_%26_Sockets_%26_Circuit_Breakers_W hoop-_-Plug+Sockets_Whoop-_-2676491&matchtype=&aud-772940707919la-326839425022&gclid=CjwKCAjwtfqKBhBoEiwAZuesiCEct4s CWLnd1UpAMfSSvvgvEJJ7xp2RO48zjMjQjYKgB29i4FUppBoC-u8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I've seen something similar on another website https://elektroprofishop.hu/MERTEN-E...martArtec-krem . Only need one socket but I'm not sure what size socket to get for it!
The combined device box is the kind of thing I'm looking for. I note it's oval shaped so are there sockets which fit this shape?

Old Oct 7th 2021, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Nick, just a thought. If the ceiling light fixture is near the washing machine, why not have an electrician look up in the attic and see if he can run another set of wires that are NOT on the switch leg thru the ceiling box and then have the electrician cut a channel in the ceiling or use a surface mount raceway to get the wire to the wall behind the washer, and then run a surface mount raceway and outlet box where you need it. No doubt there will be tile on the wall to prevent having the wires installed in the wall. Just a thought.
The light switch is on the same wall as the electrical socket which are both opposite where the washing machine is situated. It's not possible to move it anywhere else due to where everything else is, i.e. the washbasin and door.
Behind one side of the bathroom wall is the pantry/larder/kamra and the light switch is on the other side of the wall in the kitchen but there is a light in the kamra so is this an option to run a cable from the kamra through the wall to the bathroom? I'm quite sure the ceiling/flooring of the attic is concrete. I've been up there a few times so might go up to see if there's any electrical cables trailing along the attic floor. There's no electricity or lighting in the attic. I am not sure why.
I'm basically looking for a short term solution as we are planning to have an extension built and the washing machine will be moved to the W.C./Shower in the new extension.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

I do have an outdoor weatherproof box and thought maybe use that with the washing machine cable and extension going into the box from underneath. This box has a lid and where the cable and extension go into the box can be made secure.

Ideally I'd prefer a socket with a switch and light to indicate it's on.

The outdoor weatherproof box is grey so will look ugly in the bathroom but I think it's a short term safer solution.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I do have an outdoor weatherproof box and thought maybe use that with the washing machine cable and extension going into the box from underneath. This box has a lid and where the cable and extension go into the box can be made secure.

Ideally I'd prefer a socket with a switch and light to indicate it's on.

The outdoor weatherproof box is grey so will look ugly in the bathroom but I think it's a short term safer solution.
Normal electrical cable has a max sustained working temperature of 70 deg C. so I would not expect any problems with an extension lead on top of a radiator. Over time (years) a white cable may discolour and a cable may become harder. I don't like extension leads with switches because I have found that this is usually the weak point.

It is entirely another matter of having an extension lead in a bath room. Simple statement - Don't do it !!

Hopefully your house (that is you and SWMBO) is protected by 30mA RCD. If not I would advise getting one fitted.

The box you describe is a standard splash proof socket widely available in white. It is this type of socket that can most easily be run using surface wire from somewhere adjcent to pick up the power and whilst surface wiring and sockets are not the most aesthetical appealing it would be a quick cheap(ish) fix pending proper solution if /when you rewire.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

When my son came over the last time he moved my chest freezer to the other side of the kitchen but before he did so he had to provide a new electric socket as there was none.

All my wiring is on the surface and I have several of the "boxes" like the one's below (in white) throughout the house. Everything was bought either in Encs or from Praktika Miskolc.

https://elektroprofishop.hu/MERTEN-E...martArtec-krem
Old Oct 9th 2021, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Normal electrical cable has a max sustained working temperature of 70 deg C. so I would not expect any problems with an extension lead on top of a radiator. Over time (years) a white cable may discolour and a cable may become harder. I don't like extension leads with switches because I have found that this is usually the weak point.

It is entirely another matter of having an extension lead in a bath room. Simple statement - Don't do it !!

Hopefully your house (that is you and SWMBO) is protected by 30mA RCD. If not I would advise getting one fitted.

The box you describe is a standard splash proof socket widely available in white. It is this type of socket that can most easily be run using surface wire from somewhere adjcent to pick up the power and whilst surface wiring and sockets are not the most aesthetical appealing it would be a quick cheap(ish) fix pending proper solution if /when you rewire.
I found a box in Praktiker yesterday. I realise now that I saw it in there on another visit but couldn't see on the outside the bits you can snap out for the wiring. Bought it with a socket.