Electric Shower

Old May 23rd 2014, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Electric Shower

Anyone know where we can buy a good quality electric shower.
Thanks
Old May 23rd 2014, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electric Shower

You might be best to get one sent from UK, as I don't think it is something people use in Hungary. There are electric instant water heaters which you could probably use with a standard shower mixer:

http://www.argep.hu/main.asp?sucheal...t%F6&sort=rank

Make sure the electric supply to your property is adequate, most Hungarian properties have a much lower amperage supply than the standard 80 amp meter we get in UK.
Old May 23rd 2014, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Lady Zelda is an unknown quantity at this point

Me, too, would advice to purchase one from the UK. At least you know that it will be quality. I do not trust quality here. I do not want to go off the topic, but a professional company changed the bearing on our Super Silent Echo Hotpoint washing machine, which cost us 35,000Ft. After only 3 months it was noisier than before, so they took it back on warranty and supposedly they replaced the bearing again, which I very much doubt. It is even noisier than before. How can one trust anybody here?

I will order one from the UK and pay for a return lorry driver to deliver it here. We sent so many appliances to Hungary over the years, boxes of new clothing for the kids and many more. It cost my daughter 30,000Ft at the time of the arrival. Less than £80. Amazon will send it to you if you have got a permanent address here. It may well be worth it!

LZ x
Old May 24th 2014, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

What fidobsa said about the electric supply is correct. A normal electric shower will need a dedicated supply of in excess of 30 amps. A 7kw unit will draw 30.4 amps and an 8kw unit needs 34.7 amps, so you are looking at a dedicated circuit of at least 35 amps. So you will need this in addition to your existing electrical load. The normal solution here to supplying high current demands is to supply 3 phase, The normal house supply is now 32 amps, additional to this there is an extra charge. If you were asking for a 70 to 80 amp supply I would expect the elec. co. to offer 2 x 35, (i.e. 2 phases at 35 each) which would work except that you will have 415 volts between the phases which creates an additional safety issues. This is based on my experience with the power companies over the years and living in a village, towns may be a bit easier.

With regard to quality, most white goods are produced for the world market and many are badge engineered, that is different makes often are the same under the cover with only minor changes. Components such as control circuits and drive units are usually out sourced so many of the brand names use the same sub-assemblies (usually from China). There is very little manufactured here for the Hungarian market only so quality has to be suitable for export to western Europe, therefore IMO there is no point importing from the UK for a quality point of view, but perhaps for an availability issue. For example AEG white goods here will be the same here as in the UK and probably produced in the same factory.

Lady Z - The issue with the washing machine bearing I suspect is that the repair company did not use a Hotpoint spare but rather an after market cheaper alternative, this has nothing to do with the quality of white goods in Hungary but rather the practices of the repairers. The same can happen in the UK.
Old May 24th 2014, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Lady Zelda is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Peter,

Supposedly, they used the right spares as per what I was told. When I was referred to this well known company in Gyor by the Manager of the Media Market, that also happens to sell similar Hotpoint as ours ( they call it Ariston), I was told that they would order the original spare bit, so not to worry. I worried myself to death as my prediction for my new machine being wrecked has happened twice in the past 4 months.

As I said before, you simply cannot trust anybody anymore, or we may be the most cursed people in Hungary if you all had the best experiences in your new country.

People here tell you one thing and then they act completely the opposite way. They tell you what you want to hear but they always do what they think is right for their pockets, not what we would expect them to do. That is the Hungarian mentality. It was like this in the 90s when I lived here for a short period of time and it is the same in 2014. So nothing has changed, I can tell this without any exaggeration. When one comes here as a tourist enjoying the sunshine and the good food, he or she would never guess the downsides of permanently living here, fighting tooth and nails to get something done right, and all the corruption that comes with it. I don't get it, how some of you can manage to get everything right, when only a few of you have Hungarian speakers within your family to be able to help you. I speak the language fluently, and these sellers still try to fool us whenever they can.

Actually the Media Market Manager told us that Hungary rarely gets delivered first quality products that we all take for granted in the UK or Germany. He also told me that the washing machines that they sell here are made for the use of the very hard water in Hungary. They are second quality products in general, not the latest versions that you can purchase in the UK. When I made enquiries for a new 1600 fast spin washing machine, most suppliers said that they did not even sell one, which means that the Hungarian people are forced to buy only what the shopkeepers sell in their shops, cheap quality items for unrealistic prices.

In addition, last year the Kika director from Budapest visited our house for a faulty 3 m long Nolte sliding doors wardrobe manufactured for us in Germany. His qualified wardrobe fitters could not manage to make it work 4 times, so they gave up saying that it was not fixable. He told us the same thing. What we order here is not what you get in Germany, so the 400000Ft worth of wardrobe was taken away.

Sorry for being off the track again, but I ask you all, how can one purchase even a small electric shower that works here safely, if people in high position confess to us about what quality products they sell.
I do not try to slag off anything or anybody, but our experience so far was not the most pleasant, either in building works or in purchasing other expensive furniture and household products.

It means that you cannot relax your guard and have to be suspicious of everybody which is such a shame, as there are some lovely people around. I guess it is a steep learning curve and we slowly are working out who to trust.

Have a nice day
LZ x
Old May 26th 2014, 7:15 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Electric shower
Old May 26th 2014, 7:55 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

To reiterate what Peter and Fib says Cathy, you will likely need a new circuit for the shower, probably the main reason for them not being as popular as in the UK. Like Peter said, quality is the same here as anywhere, you buy Asian made products or those with Asian made components (are there any without nowadays) then it's hit and miss regards quality but then that's the same as in the UK.
As well as a greater choice of product in the UK, some items are also cheaper in the UK - on a like for like basis. We recently shipped a pram and buggy over for a Hungarian colleague due to it being far more expensive in Hungary.
Old May 26th 2014, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Thank everyone. Will have a chat with out electrician and see what he says.