Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

EHIC (European Health Insurance Card)

EHIC (European Health Insurance Card)

Old Aug 24th 2018, 6:32 am
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road
Default EHIC (European Health Insurance Card)

Here's the link https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/hea...nsurance-card/

A valid EHIC gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.

The EHIC covers treatment that is medically necessary until your planned return home. Treatment should be provided on the same basis as it would to a resident of that country, either at a reduced cost or, in many cases, for free.

For example, in some countries, patients are expected to directly contribute a percentage towards the cost of their state-provided treatment. This is known as a patient co-payment. If you receive treatment under this type of healthcare system, you are expected to pay the same co-payment charge as a patient from that country.

The EHIC also covers the treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care, provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth or seek treatment. For more information about what is covered in each country, see our country-by-country guide.

The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs, such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. It is also not valid on cruises.

It is therefore important to have both an EHIC and a valid private travel insurance policy in place before you travel. Some insurers now insist you hold an EHIC, and many will waive the excess if you have one.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EHIC (European Health Insurance Card)

I recently renewed mine before travelling back to England in May. I didn't realise it had run out as it was only valid for 3 years. The process only took about 5 minutes and the form was very simple to complete (in Hungarian).
Old Aug 28th 2018, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

VillageLifeHungary is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I know and have read, the EHIC Card is only valid as long as you are a "Temporary Stayer" in Hungary or Spain for example. So if you become a resident in Hungary or Spain, surely you are not entitled to use the EHIC Card as you are then no longer classed as a "Temporary Stayer". Feel free to correct me
Old Aug 28th 2018, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

As we are resident in Hungary we applied for a Hungarian EHIC, not a British one. I already had one so only had to renew mine. My wife had a British one (long since expired) and applied for a Hungarian one. We were in and out of the office with both cards in about 10 minutes.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

The EHIC card is issued to EU member citizens by which ever country holds responsibility for their national insurance. So as far as I know if you pay NI to Hungary and are 'enrolled' in the Hungarian NI system then Hungary would issue your EHIC. If however you are still within the UK system then the UK will issue the card. The aim of the card is to give EU citizens health cover anywhere in the EU at the same level as the citizens of the country they happen to be in when care is needed. It is less to do with residency and more to do with where you pay your NI. (I think).
Still all will be something else - or not next March