British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Dustbin Emptying Bill (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/dustbin-emptying-bill-801346/)

fidobsa Jun 27th 2013 10:26 am

Dustbin Emptying Bill

I'm just wondering if others are getting extra bills this year compared to last year? Today I got a bill for 8522 Ft for waste removal for 3 months from a firm called Netta Pannonia. I had a similar bill in March from a firm called Saubermacher. I had no such bills last year and assumed that refuse collection was included in the council tax.
The bin is emptied weekly now whereas it was only once a fortnight last year so I'm wondering if the bills are for the extra collections? This is about £100 a year so quite a significant increase in the cost of living here.

duztee Jun 27th 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Dustbin Emptying Bill

Mine is 3000 a month, so about the same cost, but I get a collection on Monday and Friday each week, and a garden refuse collection once a month.

Last year rubbish collections were done by the same company that supplied the water and was on one bill, but this year I have a different water company so two separate bills now.

cathyg Jun 27th 2013 6:24 pm

We pay separately for our weekly bin collection, 2236 forints per month.

fidobsa Jun 27th 2013 7:22 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm wondering if I should have been paying it last year but got away with it because they were slow to update their records from when the house was empty.

PaulinEger Jun 27th 2013 7:34 pm

we pay about 15,000 huf per year, billed in 2 separate payments. Haven't had any extra bills but it's still the same company making once weekly collections here.

judybaby Jun 27th 2013 7:47 pm

We pay separately, and have weekly collections, about 4500 ft bimonthly.

Rural Hungary Jun 27th 2013 10:00 pm

Many villages are changing over from it being included in the village tax bill to a private company. Might change companies a couple of times until they settle on one - probably the one who is erm, more favourable to the mayor:rolleyes:

duztee Jun 27th 2013 10:30 pm

Ahh! that explains why I get two collections a week, I live opposite the mayor :)

Rural Hungary Jun 28th 2013 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by duztee (Post 10776318)
Ahh! that explains why I get two collections a week, I live opposite the mayor :)

Well my mayor must adore us as we were promoted to two collections in January and have never paid for refuse collection, we bought a bin 5 years ago and haven't paid since:unsure:
I don't think they have sub contracted it out either as it's still the usual surly crew who refuse, should you forget to put your bin out, to collect it on the way back - wouldn't mind but we're a dead end village and there is all of 10 minutes between them going and coming back, what's a girl to do but not forget to put her bin out!

duztee Jun 29th 2013 5:58 am

Off at a slight tangent but, does anyone else get the annoying little person on a bike coming along a few minutes in front of the refuse truck going through all the bins?
And usually making a mess in the process.

I must have really nice bin men, because I live on a corner they will empty the bin from either road, 7 a.m. in the first or 10 a.m. when they come up the other road, and if I leave the gate open they even put the bin back inside.

fidobsa Jun 29th 2013 6:32 am

I've not had anyone looking in my bin and I was told I could put anything in there. We have recycling bins in the village for paper, glass and plastic bottles but you are allowed to ignore those and put everything in the normal bin. If you mean the person is just a private scavenger, I've heard that goes on a lot in Budapest.
Something that struck me is the different sizes of bins. I've not seen any as big as a standard UK wheelie bin but some people do have the smaller size wheelie that is available as an option in UK. There seems to be an even smaller size though, again I assume this is available as an option for elderly or handicapped people who might struggle with the standard bin. When I first came here and it was only emptied every 2 weeks my little bin was always full, as the previous owners had left so much rubbish everywhere. These days I get weekly collections but could manage with the fortnightly one, except when I would forget to put it out and would then have 4 weeks worth of rubbish!

Peter_in_Hungary Jun 29th 2013 10:37 am

Originally Posted by fidobsa (Post 10777672)
Something that struck me is the different sizes of bins. I've not seen any as big as a standard UK wheelie bin but some people do have the smaller size wheelie that is available as an option in UK. There seems to be an even smaller size though, again I assume this is available as an option for elderly or handicapped people who might struggle with the standard bin.

The different size bins are as a result of an EU directive (as are the changes to the way the charges are made). This directive, amongst other things, says that the producer of rubbish must pay for the disposal of same. It is therefore contrary to this directive to a) include the charge for the rubbish in the general local charges and b) make a flat rate charge regardless of the rubbish produced/collected.

Typically for Hungary it has got it wrong and IMO the current law on rubbish contravenes the EU directive, that said the different sizes are an attempt to charge people according to the rubbish produced. So if you regularly produce less than the standard 120ltr. bins worth then you can have a 60ltr bin for which you should be charged less. (I believe in Austria you can have a 30ltr bin).

OK up to a point but we have several people in our village who, by the time they have recycled what they can and composted or given to the chicken what comes out of the kitchen they only have to put the bin out 3 or 4 times a YEAR. None the less they are charged a weekly fee regardless. This is contrary the the EU directive. But it does ensure the rubbish collection firms have a 'right to life' and can charge for a service not given, whereas what they should be doing is altering their business model to manage the EU goals of reduction of rubbish produced by giving (financial) incentives to rubbish producers to produce less. After all if we all only produced enough rubbish for a bin 4 times a year and were charged for this as per the EU directive how would the owner of the rubbish firm be able to buy his next BMW.

The EU directive was brought about because it was realised that Europe is running out of resources and recycling is a better way to go, and Europe has run out of holes in the ground to put all the rubbish produced - hence the move to incineration. (which has its own pollution problems:blink:)

Rant over

fidobsa Jun 29th 2013 10:55 am

How does this directive work in UK then? In Scotland I now have not one but four 240 litre bins, although they are not all emptied every week. The charges for emptying these bins is included in the Council Tax. Of the four, the only one I could fill up fully between collections is the garden waste one and that would only be in the growing season.

Peter_in_Hungary Jun 29th 2013 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by fidobsa (Post 10777792)
How does this directive work in UK then? In Scotland I now have not one but four 240 litre bins, although they are not all emptied every week. The charges for emptying these bins is included in the Council Tax. Of the four, the only one I could fill up fully between collections is the garden waste one and that would only be in the growing season.

IMO it doesn't comply!
To quote from the directive 2008/98/EC "It also establishes major principles such as an obligation to handle waste in a way that does not have a negative impact on the environment or human health, an encouragement to apply the waste hierarchy and, in accordance with the polluter-pays principle, a requirement that the costs of disposing of waste must be borne by the holder of waste, by previous holders or by the producers of the product from which the waste came."

And

"It is appropriate that costs be allocated in such a way as to reflect the real costs to the environment of the generation and management of waste."

There is also a stressing of the "wast hierarchy" - prevention, reuse, recycle, recover, (energy) and finally - disposal. Note disposal is the last option after all else has failed. Giving a flat rate for rubbish collection included in the council tax first does nothing to encourage any of this and second is contrary to producer pays principle. Also IMO charging people for rubbish disposal regardless of whether they produce rubbish or not is also contrary to this directive.

dave1982 Aug 5th 2013 8:47 pm

Just to bring this thread back to life.

Just bought a property in Zala and wondered whether since it will initially be a holiday property with us only there on the odd occasion during the year. Are we obliged to pay for the bin men. For the whole year? Any others have any experience regarding this matter?

Feedback much appreciated.