Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Ducking Monday - knowing what to expect

Ducking Monday - knowing what to expect

Old Apr 12th 2011, 10:32 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ducking Monday - knowing what to expect

I thought I would post this for those of you unacquainted with this Easter Monday tradition.

Ducking Monday
Sprinkling, the very popular custom of Easter in Hungary, is observed on Easter Monday, which is also known as 'Ducking Monday'. On the day, boys playfully sprinkle perfume or perfumed water on girls. Until some time back, young men used to pour buckets of water over young women's heads. In the present time, they spray perfume, cologne or just plain water, and then ask for a kiss and a red egg. This is a very interesting tradition of Easter in Hungary, followed since a long time.

They also recite a poem similar to this :

Bright and early, to the road I took,
Both food and water, I forsook.
On my shoulder, a satchel heavy,
My feet - worn to the knees -
no longer steady.
Half the world over, have I
traveled, round and round,
And seen pretty "flowers,"
- so many, many, abound.
The most beautiful "flower,"
Just now I came upon,
This "flower"-I could not wait
to sprinkle on.
Red Easter egg,
and snow-white bunny,
A kiss I'll earn for sprinkling
YOU - my little honey!

However, I assume there are different versions as the children in our village say something much shorter.

The first time we were fortunate enough to take part in the tradition, we initially thought the local children were trying to sell us toiletries! Not speaking much Hungarian at the time, we were rather confused as one after another appeared in our garden waving a shampoo or perfume bottle at us. It was midday before we realised that not ever child in the village had, overnight, became a toiletry salesman and as such, there had to be another explanation. A quick search on google and all was revealed. Having no red eggs to present to the children, we gave them some loose change instead and it wasn't long before word got around the village and we were inundated with sprinklers! This year we will ensure we have a supply of chocolate eggs covered in red foil - I think they will appreciate these more than boiled eggs dyed red
Old Apr 12th 2011, 11:39 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ducking Monday - knowing what to expect

I am told of this one

"Zolderdobe jartam, kek ibolyat lattam, elakart hervadni, szabad e locsolni?"

something like

I went to the green forest, I saw a blue violet just about to fade - can I put some water on it?

The lady being the violet - hopefully answers yes!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 11:48 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks John, that is about the length of what the village children say, I will have to listen more intently this year. Initially I thought it was about bringing fertility for the rest of the year
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Stomalomalus is an unknown quantity at this point

It will be my first time too. I heard this poem, courtesy of spinach...

Itt van a kölni
Meg foglak ölni!

:P Maybe not to all of your taste's Comes from Spenót:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OXSP0dBtHns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>