Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Driving licence after Brexit

Driving licence after Brexit

Old Mar 3rd 2019, 9:53 am
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road
Default Driving licence after Brexit

OK we know that Brits resident in Hungary will find it easier to switch to a Hungarian DL before 29th March.

But for non-Hungary residents such as ourselves, who drive in Hungary in the hols, the official advice is that in the event of a no-deal Brexit, we should get the £5.50 international driving permit from the Post Office https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-...u-after-brexit

Now, my query here is what's the point of doing that & potentially wasting £5.50? IDPs are actually issued by the AA (Automobile Association) – the PO is just their agent. The IDP only provides translations of the various categories into Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Italian, German, Arabic, Japanese and French. It is not, in itself, an alternative licence. You still need your UK Driving Licence & must produce it as your primary evidence of possessing a DL. Indeed, the process of obtaining one is very quick & simple, basically pay your £5.50, fill in the form & produce a photo, walk away with the IDP. It's inherently a pretty worthless bit of paper compared to your real DL.

My thinking is that the traffic cops in Hungary are 100% used to the EU photocard DL format, and that's all they'll require from Brits at a roadside document check. The IDP doesn't translate anything into Hungarian and adds nothing to evidence the fact you have a valid DL, compared to your real DL.

Of course, that all changes if Hungary has a requirement that non-EU foreigners driving in Hungary must be in possession of the IDP - but have they actually stated that, eg currently required for USA or Canada residents?
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence after Brexit

And in the event of a no deal will the EU licences be valid in the UK?
If there is no deal I suspect that the solution will be known by half way through April because the pressure to get a solution in place will be irristable, This is one of lots of fixes that will be needed instantly, I suspect that the solution chosen in most cases will be carry on as you are until further notice i.e. kick the can down the road as the only option available in the timescale.