Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Driving in Hungary

Driving in Hungary

Old Oct 7th 2018, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Tonymol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving in Hungary

Satnav is a must as long as it’s upto date and I’ve learnt never drive on country roads after dark. A deer stepped out in front of me good job I was only doing 40 mph cos it was pouring down and managed to swerve and carry on. Aside from deer there’s foxes, cats, dogs and rabbits on suicide missions all night long!
Old Oct 7th 2018, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tonymol View Post
Satnav is a must.
Useful perhaps but definitely not a must!
I did 8 trips from the UK to Hungary and back all without Satnav. Good forward planning and a map actually work better for me. after all it may be a couple of thousand kilometres but the reality is there are only 4 or 5 actual turns required, all the rest are just one motorway running naturally into the next.
Satnav do have some weird ideas about the most 'direct' or 'easiest' routes.
I use one now for collecting sporty friend from local footy matches etc and it is certainly easier for this but still insists in turn off a main route for a quick detour through the countryside. two side of a triangle on a major road is often much quicker, and easier, than the one side going direct via small roads.
Old Oct 7th 2018, 11:49 am
Just Joined

That’s true but I only use it from Dunkirk to Sarvar because Germany has been a nightmare for a few years now with roadwork and even motorways shut overnight! Plus mine has speed camera alerts (not that I deliberately speed) but it keeps you in check if you know what I mean.
Old Oct 7th 2018, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tonymol View Post
A deer stepped out in front of me good job I was only doing 40 mph cos it was pouring down and managed to swerve and carry on. Aside from deer there’s foxes, cats, dogs and rabbits on suicide missions all night long!
That is real risk in Hungary!
It happened to me the first evening I met my wife - on the way back after I had taken her home (not too late, by 9PM) a giant of a deer crossed the road!
Luckily I wasn't driving too fast - and I had Xenon lights, really good.
And I still remember:
Once we wanted to go on holiday, saw a very good price for a flight from Vienna - which is nearer than Bp for us near Hévíz, but the flight was at 6 o'clock in the morning.
So we decided to drive at night, left home shortly after midnight and went on the road from Sümeg to Sopron.
I've never seen so many deer besides the road grazing - just once on our way from Williams to the Grand Canyon.
And one or two foxes crossed, luckily very fast and I was not speeding because I had seen all those signs "animals crossing" before - but i hadn't expected so many animals!
Old Oct 7th 2018, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Sopron to Szombathely and Sarvar to Balaton are the two main routes I use. If they had more police cars/speed cameras then Hungary could pay off their national debt. Austrian/German drivers are the worst for tail gating and cutting in front of you. I’m sure they know what the two finger sign means by now!
Old Oct 7th 2018, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nice

Tony, many of these dangerous drivers are Hungarians working abroad ...
But you're right, too many drivers don't care for the rules at all.
An old joke of mine which I tell to all my visitors:
If you're driving through a village at the legal 50 km/h, every Trabant or Lada will overtake you ...
If you're driving at 60 or 70 only the black Audis will overtake you - and be careful:
The driver might be a businessman in a hurry who canpay if needed, a mafioso who doesn't care for the law, or a politician who knows he's immune - maybe all of the above in one person ...
Old Oct 7th 2018, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks I’ll take that as good advice and just let the idiots pass
Old Oct 8th 2018, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw a mafioso type get very irate on the dualled BP to Szentendre road when a car wouldn't let him overtake, he got past, pulled across in front of him and forced the other car to stop, got out and punched him in the face a couple of times then drove off. You don't want to mess with anybody driving big expensive black German cars.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wolfi View Post
Tony, many of these dangerous drivers are Hungarians working abroad ...
True enough, it won't be Austrians or Germans - who tend to be very good, careful, courteous drivers. If a bit fast!

It'll generally be Hungarians driving a German- or Austrian-plated car. And rather full of themselves in that sharp car. Arrogance being one of the worst sides to many Hungarians.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

man of yorkshire is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow Cheers you guys , I was nervous before Lol still its better to be forewarned .
Satnavs get you there in the end I suppose I should say generally but we have known ours to go the scenic route before and I must add that I don't like cities being a rural person , I have had Deer jump out before and somehow manage to skate across the road in the UK although ours probably aren't as large or as numerous However they will have the same peanut sized brain as many others and are very dangerous indeed , as for the bad driving I shall do my best I am more used to driving the 4x4 but on our side of the road and being absolutely honest I am not looking forward to driving on the other side but as someone has already said you get used to it , ( Hopefully)
Just a few days to go now and we get to sample a little of the Hungarian culture , this being our first trip I think will be the hardest and yes nervous but excited also.
Take care and I shall post a quick message to let everyone know how we got on . Thanks for everything.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to allduztee is a name known to all

Good Luck and enjoy your stay.
I personally never see much of this bad driving, but then I drive a 4x4 pick-up with a large steel rear bumper with a big towbar fitted so it would be a really stupid person who tailgated me.
The tourist season is over now so you should not have too much trouble with people who don't know where they are going making sudden turns without warning, well except for you of course ! :-)
Old Today, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Had the pleasure of driving from the Pilis Hills to my MIL's place in Zuglo in the XIVth Bp this morning! Whew, some crazy drivers out there. Meant to be a 70 kmph limit on the city ring road but there were plenty of people overtaking me at 90-100.

I was mightily relieved to get back to the village for a bit of gardening and sunbathing