Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Driving in Hungary

Driving in Hungary

Old Mar 12th 2017, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Hungary

Got car cam working today for the first time, only had 2 speedsters overtaking.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I do find drivers disregard the rules in car parks, parking in disabled drivers spaces etc and some of them drive far too fast in car parks. In both the Lidl shops I regularly use there are 2 entrances so people use the car park as a short cut between the 2 roads. They treat it just like another road and go about 40mph so you need to be very very careful when reversing out of a parking space.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I do find drivers disregard the rules in car parks, parking in disabled drivers spaces etc and some of them drive far too fast in car parks. In both the Lidl shops I regularly use there are 2 entrances so people use the car park as a short cut between the 2 roads. They treat it just like another road and go about 40mph so you need to be very very careful when reversing out of a parking space.
Yes Fidobsa,same here, 2 entrances.I did see a reversing accident in Lidle car park,the classic reversing out of a space and collided with a car passing, going out. There were about 5 Police,some interviewing,one taking pictures the other taking video evidence!!. maybe a big deal here but it appears car parks are part of the highway? In essence, who's fault it was is guilty,end of,and I am sure they were tested for alchohol.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I think I must live in a different Hungary to the rest of you ... or it could be because I'm the only woman replying to the thread?

I regularly do the 60 km drive first along winding country lanes before driving down the main highway from Poland/Slovakia to Miskolc In nearly 10 years I've seen very few accidents and only twice have seen cars in the ditch. The majority of heavy vehicles,and I mean streams of them, that use the road are from Romania, Bulgaria, Poland or Slovakia. With a few exceptions they keep within the speed limits and only overtake when it's safe.

As for speeding in car parks, never experienced that either, although I have to admit when I was recovering from a hip replacement I did sometimes park in the disabled parking, simply because I didn't have so far to walk using a stick.

What have I missed I ask myself???

As far as I can see the main difference is that in this region the police are more vigilant and on average you can expect to be stopped at a road block around once every 3 months. You need to show your licence and all the car papers and you always have to take a breathalyzer. And there are radar traps all along the highway plus patrol cars.

Earlier this year I was stopped twice by police in the matter of half an hour. The first was in my local Spar car park where they were checking all the car owners leaving or getting into their cars. Then just after that I was stopped on highway, by a police patrol car who wanted to know how far I was travelling. When I told him I would be turning off the highway shortly, he apologised for stopping me and explained he'd noticed my car being buffeted by the high wind and wanted to warn me to drive carefully.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Sachina, maybe the police presence is bigger where you live.
Another reason for the difference in driving style might be:
Here in Zala county we have many people working in Austria etc so there are many just passing through - as fast as possible ...

And again my biggest problem (and I'm not alone here):

Many drive like crazy through the villages - when we walk our dog I often hear cars really loud - overtaking another car in the village with at least 80 km/h, often it's those transporters, always in a hurry.

With trucks I don't have a problem.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sachina
I think I must live in a different Hungary to the rest of you ... or it could be because I'm the only woman replying to the thread?

I regularly do the 60 km drive first along winding country lanes before driving down the main highway from Poland/Slovakia to Miskolc In nearly 10 years I've seen very few accidents and only twice have seen cars in the ditch. The majority of heavy vehicles,and I mean streams of them, that use the road are from Romania, Bulgaria, Poland or Slovakia. With a few exceptions they keep within the speed limits and only overtake when it's safe.

As for speeding in car parks, never experienced that either, although I have to admit when I was recovering from a hip replacement I did sometimes park in the disabled parking, simply because I didn't have so far to walk using a stick.

What have I missed I ask myself???

As far as I can see the main difference is that in this region the police are more vigilant and on average you can expect to be stopped at a road block around once every 3 months. You need to show your licence and all the car papers and you always have to take a breathalyzer. And there are radar traps all along the highway plus patrol cars.

Earlier this year I was stopped twice by police in the matter of half an hour. The first was in my local Spar car park where they were checking all the car owners leaving or getting into their cars. Then just after that I was stopped on highway, by a police patrol car who wanted to know how far I was travelling. When I told him I would be turning off the highway shortly, he apologised for stopping me and explained he'd noticed my car being buffeted by the high wind and wanted to warn me to drive carefully.

Yes, you said it, you do live in a"different Hungary" its called "another area" that is your experience, and the comments so far, except for mine whitch was based on my factual experiences about young female drivers in newer cars ,other comments also from posters is based on their factual experiences and if the posters are mainly old/older male farts (joke fellas) so be it. As I advance in years live and let live, each to their own and beg to differ but the sexist card is a yawn. I like women
Old Mar 12th 2017, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitch should have been which )))
Old Mar 13th 2017, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by enter
Yes, you said it, you do live in a"different Hungary" its called "another area" that is your experience, and the comments so far, except for mine whitch was based on my factual experiences about young female drivers in newer cars ,other comments also from posters is based on their factual experiences and if the posters are mainly old/older male farts (joke fellas) so be it. As I advance in years live and let live, each to their own and beg to differ but the sexist card is a yawn. I like women
Oh silly me! I didn't realise you were talking about young female drivers in newer cars.

As to "factual experiences" do you think that my "factual experiences" are simply a figment of my imagination and therefore less valid than yours?

Pleased also that you like women .... there are a few of us around in the world you know, in case you hadn't noticed!
Old Mar 13th 2017, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Location: Black Country, UK (soon to be mainlane Europe I hope)
yamyamsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Unrelated question, well kind of!

The petrol station attendants, I was so confused when we pulled into get petrol last year, its the first time i've saw an attendant, are they paid by the service station or do they want tips for that?

I felt kind of bad requesting that I used the pump, but I didn't want to get nobbled into spending more money, or into anything I didn't know.

Any ideas?
Old Mar 13th 2017, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
Oh silly me! I didn't realise you were talking about young female drivers in newer cars.

As to "factual experiences" do you think that my "factual experiences" are simply a figment of my imagination and therefore less valid than yours?

Pleased also that you like women .... there are a few of us around in the world you know, in case you hadn't noticed!

Old Mar 13th 2017, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yamyamsam

The petrol station attendants, I was so confused when we pulled into get petrol last year, its the first time i've saw an attendant, are they paid by the service station or do they want tips for that?

I felt kind of bad requesting that I used the pump, but I didn't want to get nobbled into spending more money, or into anything I didn't know.

Any ideas?
It happens quite regularly at my local petrol station one of the attendants will be outside ready to help customers. I like it because one thing I hate doing is putting air into my tyres.

I never tip them as they're paid by the service station and don't seem to expect a tip either.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yamyamsam

Any ideas?
Some stations have attendants, I always politely say no, you are not obliged to tip.I did in the early days given tips at petrol stations. My choice is tipping when going for coffee/meal a smallish amount,always appreciated.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolfi
Sachina, maybe the police presence is bigger where you live.
Another reason for the difference in driving style might be:
Here in Zala county we have many people working in Austria etc so there are many just passing through - as fast as possible ...

And again my biggest problem (and I'm not alone here):

Many drive like crazy through the villages - when we walk our dog I often hear cars really loud - overtaking another car in the village with at least 80 km/h, often it's those transporters, always in a hurry.

With trucks I don't have a problem.
My comments about the generally good standard of driving I have observed relate only to Hungarian registered vehicles. I realise that a lot of the German and Austrian plated cars are actually Hungarians who work in those countries but they do seem to drive faster and more agressively than the locals.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Fidobsa, that also was my thinking - a Hungarian who made it in Austria and knows that the police are almost non-existent on the orads or how to bribe them maybe ...

Today I experienced again one of these crazies - on the new road from Zalaegerszeg I was following someone with a Hungarian P licence to Keszthely: twice overtaking in a no-passing zone with the oncoming car having to brake down and then into Keszthely with again alomost 100 klicks - only to find him again at the first red light ...
However he was so far away that I couldn't see the driver's face - and I'm not the kind of guy to follow an idiot ...

PS:
I'm not getting angry - it's just a situation I try to avoid, being caught in the middle between some really slow drivers and someone who is in a hurry or just doesn't care for his or other's life.

There was a story a few years ago about a German bus driver who wanted to fllow the other bus - so instead of waiting at a red signal on a railway crossing south of the Balaton he drove out, passing two cars already stopped and was hit by the train. Around a dozen german tourists died - they couldn't ask the driver what he had been thinking because he was dead too.