Reload this Page >

Dreaming of moving

Dreaming of moving

Old Sep 7th 2017, 2:21 am
Just Joined

Flydragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Dreaming of moving

Hi Everyone,

Last month, I visited Hungary with my Hungarian girlfriend. We spent most of the time in Velence, Fejer and we also did sight seeing in Budapest and lake balaton (mainly Siofok and Fonyod). After spending a week in Hungary eating loads of langos, galuska and gulyas, I've absolutely fallen in love with the country. Beautifual landscape, big and lovely food, nice beer, friendly people esp. the lady selling drinks by the beach in Velence, she was the sweetest!

Ever since we got back I've been thinking of moving there and having a house (preferably in Velence) with a massive garden/land for us and the dogs. I told the missus about the idea of moving and she simply laughed and said, "maybe one day." I just hope the day comes really soon

The reason behind I chose Velence is because a) my girlfriend's parents live there so they can look after the dogs when we go travelling b) Budapest is only about 25 miles away c) House prices seem to be reasonable d)There's a good buzz in the summer near the lake.

Few questions:
1) What's it like there in winter? Does it get wet and cold like in the UK?

2) Would it be difficult to move due to brexit?

3) Is it easy to drive to Hungary with dogs? Channel crossing, toll fares, fuel costs etc.

Your suggestions on the above questions would be really appreciated. Thank you.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dreaming of moving

1. Winters are dry and cold. (UK doesn't get cold, we had -22 last winter!). Typical annual sunshine hours here = 2000 whereas the UK is about 1000

2. Now and until UK leaves it is easy to move as the EU rules apply. After Brexit anyones guess. Although if you are married to a Hungarian there should be no problems at any time.

3. Get the dogs a passport, a chip and a rabies jab and there should be no problems. Others here who have done it can better advise.

However there's lots more to think about
Velence is a bit of a tourist town and expensive, some of the surrounding villages would be worth a look, cheaper and the houses will tend to have bigger gardens.

Do you need employment? without Hungarian this will be difficult.

Whilst Budapest is just a rush up the motorway - Székesfehérár is very close and IMO a very nice town, preferable to Budapest.

It takes time to find the right place, IMO a 2 week house buying visit is a recipe for expensive mistakes.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Carrot_Cruncher is on a distinguished road

HelloFlydragon,

Indeed I agree with allyour reasons for moving and general view of Hungary, although we live in the very north of the country on the borderwith Slovakia, so lifestyle is a little slower than aroundBalaton.

With regard to your points.
  • Winters here, in the north at least, have been mild compared to what my Hungarian wife has experienced in the past. So the last couple of winters has seen relatively little snow (unfortunately, as I am a snow lover) and temperature wise it was pretty much below freezing for 3 months with lowest around -10 to -15 degrees depending on what time you get up.
  • With regard to Brexit, that is an uncertainty for most of us I should imagine. Having a Hungarian partner may well help. As I said before my wife is Hungarian, we have two children fluent in both languages well settled in school, we have lived here for 4 years now although we've owned the property for maybe ten years and I have a steady job with a (B)ritish (T)elecoms company in Budapest so our life is fimly fixed in Hungary. I expect I will need to take a citizenship test if I want to maintain existence as an EU resident. I don't know your age but depending on what deal is struck, the things that my elderly parents who also moved here take for granted ie free travel, healthcare with the state (my father broke his hip twice in the last year with two extended stays in hospital) may not exist in two years time. This needs careful consideration.
  • We moved here with two van runs, and our second run we brought two guinea pigs with us - it was August 2013, very hot and they were just about done when we arrived. It took us around 28 hours non-stop from the Midlands just me driving each time. I can't comment on crossing prices as such as it's been a long time since, but we used Norfolkline, if it's still going. If you cross in Winter you'll need snow tyres to comply with laws in Germany and Austria. You'll need a toll ticket for Austrian motorways and Hungary too if you choose not to take the back roads in. I can't remeber the name of the site but we used to buy our tickets in advance and get them posted to us - maybe TollTickets.com - don't know. Fuel is cheaper here in my opinion, but time your fillups to be in the cheaper countries. At one time, we would fill up in the last stop in Germany as Austria was more expensive but in can change month by month.

I would add that I think it is a pretty safe country too. Two weeks ago we were in Budapest in the evening for the Robbie Williams concert. There was no trouble at the event, no trouble on the transport and the business area where we parked our car and returned to at gone midnight was also trouble free. My wife would not have done the same thing in London, let alone the Midlands. Crime in our area is extremely low too, though drink driving from the "elderly natives" seems problematic.

Hope that helps, this is an excellent forum and I'm surethere will be plenty more advice for the regulars.

Kind regards,
Carrot Cruncher
Old Sep 7th 2017, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Carrot Cruncher - for the citizenship test, if you have been here for the requisite amount of time (5 years I think) and you are over 65 then there is NO exam, just box ticking. It might be worth your parents getting Hungarian nationality. (under 65 there is a language exam and a constitutional exam - so I am told!)
Old Sep 7th 2017, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
1. Winters are dry and cold. (UK doesn't get cold, we had -22 last winter!). Typical annual sunshine hours here = 2000 whereas the UK is about 1000
I think you'll find that the UK gets a lot more sunshine than you mention and depends where you live. Some parts of the UK get 1800, so not always life changing if you're from the sunnier parts of the UK. No doubt that it's warmer and sunnier in summer but Budapest and area would be just as grey as London between November and January.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Moses2013
No doubt that it's warmer and sunnier in summer but Budapest and area would be just as grey as London between November and January.
But I wouldn't want to be in Budapest any more than I would want to be in London (and I lived in London for 28 years when it was much better than it is today)
Old Sep 7th 2017, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Living in a village not too far from one of the bigger towns where you have everything - hospitals, Tesco, Aldi and Interspar etc is imho the best option, a car of course is almost a necessity ...
We live near Hévíz and Keszthely part time (I'm German and my wife is from Eastern Hungary) and are really happy here.

However beware of having a large garden - when you get older this turns slowly from an advantage into a burden ...
Old Sep 7th 2017, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolfi
Living in a village not too far from one of the bigger towns where you have everything - hospitals, Tesco, Aldi and Interspar etc is imho the best option, a car of course is almost a necessity ...
We live near Hévíz and Keszthely part time (I'm German and my wife is from Eastern Hungary) and are really happy here.

However beware of having a large garden - when you get older this turns slowly from an advantage into a burden ...
The buses work here and most villages have a community bus run by the council that will do shopping or take people to hospitals etc..

For the large garden, just make sure its big enough to justify a ride-on mower
Old Sep 7th 2017, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Flydragon

We live north of lake Balaton around the Veszprém area. It is good because although it is a tourist area it is also largely residential which means that it is quieter in the winter but still functioning for everything that you need.
Velence is lovely and has very good train services for commuting to BP. (About 30 mins). The train is very cheap and I believe you can buy an annual ticket that entitles you to 70% discount.
If you have IT or engineering experience you may be able to get a good job. I have noticed even around where we live that there are more jobs advertised in English. Have a look at profession.hu, just put English into the search engine and see what comes up. However it would be worth you learning Hungarian and start asap cause it is really difficult.
Healthcare is the one issue that I struggle with sometimes. I go to BP to ensure I get the best care but I need regular checkups and tests so my situation is more complicated. Can't beat the NHS IMO but you have to weigh the pros and cons.
I would also say that it is rarely Grey here, more likely to be blue and cold or blue and hot.
Good luck
Old Sep 7th 2017, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Carrot_Cruncher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary

For the large garden, just make sure its big enough to justify a ride-on mower
My dream!

Last edited by Carrot_Cruncher; Sep 7th 2017 at 2:06 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I will certainly take all the points on board. Let's make this dream a reality!
Old Sep 7th 2017, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flydragon
Hi Everyone,

....nice beer.....

2) Would it be difficult to move due to brexit?
I wish I could agree with you about the beer! The beer in Hungary is only a fraction of the price compared to UK but I sometimes go months without drinking any of it. To be fair, I didn't like the beer in Scotland either so I've not frequented pubs for the last 20 years. I'm a real ale fan and most of my beer drinking was done in England and Wales.

Nobody really knows what will happen when UK leaves the EU. My advice would be to wait a couple of years to see how things pan out.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I wish I could agree with you about the beer!
In my experience countries produce either good beer or good wine - rarely both, Hungary has some very good wine - 'nuf said about the beer!!
Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Nobody really knows what will happen when UK leaves the EU. My advice would be to wait a couple of years to see how things pan out.
Or get on with it now before the UK government screws it all up and everything goes south.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

I would love to just pack up everything right now and move but the missus is a bit skeptical about the idea as she reckons it's still too soon. She left Hungary before it joined the EU and is fully settled here. She did say that Hungary has changed a lot esp. Budapest where she grew up. I just hope that I can convince her soon enough so that we can enjoy the rest of our lives there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.