Dog walking...

Old Jun 24th 2011, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dog walking...

It would appear that in our town all the dogs are guard dogs....so when we walk our little dog, not only do we set off all the other dogs barking, but they all seem to want to kill her. Does anyone else have the same problem? Looks like we may have to take her elsewhere in the car everyday... All thoughts welcome
Old Jun 25th 2011, 9:46 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog walking...

Hi, yes this is typical of dogs in villages or smaller towns. Generally, it's only in the larger towns or villages with a number of affluent Hungarians or foreigners that you witness dogs being walked. That said, I think we have set something of a precedent as since living here there are now two other village dogs being walked, albeit somewhat sporadically!
Many of them will quieten down once they get used to you passing, apart from that I can't offer any other advice
Old Jun 26th 2011, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polgardi
It would appear that in our town all the dogs are guard dogs....so when we walk our little dog, not only do we set off all the other dogs barking, but they all seem to want to kill her. Does anyone else have the same problem? Looks like we may have to take her elsewhere in the car everyday... All thoughts welcome
My wife's parents and sister's family live in a village near Miskolc. The Hungarians attitude to dogs as pets is not the same as here. Alot of dogs live 24/7 outside although there are some Hungarians who love their dogs as us Brits although the primary aim is to watch their house and alert them to passers by or visitors.
My wife's family find it hilarious that when one dog starts barking it sets off the rest and that's because they are used to it. I suppose you could say that it reduces the risk of any one trying to commit burglary because owners will be alerted to someone in the neighbourhood.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by FenTiger
My wife's parents and sister's family live in a village near Miskolc. The Hungarians attitude to dogs as pets is not the same as here. Alot of dogs live 24/7 outside although there are some Hungarians who love their dogs as us Brits although the primary aim is to watch their house and alert them to passers by or visitors.
My wife's family find it hilarious that when one dog starts barking it sets off the rest and that's because they are used to it. I suppose you could say that it reduces the risk of any one trying to commit burglary because owners will be alerted to someone in the neighbourhood.
Just wait till it's summer and you are sleeping with the windows open! The dawn chorus takes on a different meaning:curse:
Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Small, toy breeds seem to be very popular up here and it's generally only those that get walked. I rarely see anyone with a medium or large dog walking it.
As for barkng dogs quietening down when they get used to you...they won't. But, what I've experienced here is that if they do get out of their garden they're not always so brave. Twice I've had dogs going crazy when walking my dog and they've escaped but then suddenly lose interest in us when on the street. Their main aim is to protect their property so once on the street they have nothing to protect.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:07 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
As for barkng dogs quietening down when they get used to you...they won't.
We've had a different experience, perhaps because ours is a smaller village? The children used to be terrified taking the dog for a walk due to the barking but now there is only one or two who bark when they pass. We have also noticed that certain dogs in the village have louder barks for certain people (strange the things you notice when you have time!) Agree about most - though not all, so be careful - being cowards when confronted as the Irish wolf hound like monster across from us regularly escapes and our little dachshund manages to see it off.
A couple we know, who had problems with a neighbours dog barking, bought one of those high pitched noise emitters (can't remember the name for them) and it worked. I don't know enough about them to say whether I agree with them or not but it might work were you to walk the route a few times, without your own dog?
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all your replies. I think its just a case of trial and error. Some days are better than others. This afternoon I thought I was clear .... not a bark to be heard, only to turn a corner to mad dogs barking everywhere....!! My dog (and I) felt distinctly uncomfortable. So its in the car to the lake later on
Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:56 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Persevere, it should get better - more so if you talk to the dogs when you pass (difficult when you are wary of them). They might not stop barking altogether but should quieten down and not bark as ferociously.