Dog Ticks

Old Apr 28th 2012, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dog Ticks

Just a reminder for people who bring their dogs on holiday to make sure they are protected against ticks - as well as a question for those members who live here permanently.

Despite using frontline, advantix etc, our little dog was still host to a few ticks. I was told by my vet today that 60% of ticks in the area do carry awful diseases such as babesiosis and Lyme Disease. Our dog had to have a babesiosis jab because she had received a particularly nasty tick bite - its not a pleasant vaccine and can even lead to your dog vomiting for a couple of hours.

Do any other members use anything different on their dogs apart from frontline/advantix?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dog Ticks

The Ticks seem particulary bad this year here with us,just removed four from one of our cats,we use frontline too and it does help but i doubt that anything will get them all! While on the subject of Ticks,it is very important to check your self each evening ,as one who has had three infected tick bites and a nasty time with Lymes, i can say its very important to do so!!!All good wishes,Mike.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:04 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike and Janet
The Ticks seem particulary bad this year here with us,just removed four from one of our cats,we use frontline too and it does help but i doubt that anything will get them all! While on the subject of Ticks,it is very important to check your self each evening ,as one who has had three infected tick bites and a nasty time with Lymes, i can say its very important to do so!!!All good wishes,Mike.
Agree, there seems to be far more ticks about this year. Last year, ours were frontlined and we didn't have any problems, this year - despite being frontlined, all of the animals have had at least two. Nightmare things to remove, we use a loop of thread but it's not easy, especially with the cats.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Thread or fine wire loop if they are sizable,very fine pointed tweezers for the small one,s,always remember to twist sideways to disengage the barbs around the ticks mouth,a straight pull will often leave the head behind,also do not squash when removing as tick will regurgitate blood and cause infection.!!! Oh the Joys of Summer!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Should also have said for anyone not used to the little buggers if you develop a red ring around where you have removed a tick or red blotches get along to the doctors and get a course of very strong antibiotics,this will usually clear it up!It is also possible that you will knock or scratch one off you without realizing there was one there,so if you have an itch followed by red ring which will spread outwards if left,doctors!!!!!No vaccination available for Lyme,s,but you can be vaccinated for encephalitis which they can carry too!
Old May 5th 2012, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I have been visiting Hungary since 2002 and this is all new to me. Cannot recall my wife or any of her family complaining about ticks as bad as this! Must ask my wife once she gets up.
Old May 9th 2012, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

tomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the rough

I would suggest for all of you to buy do-it-yourself test for the Lyme disease. You can get it from any pharmacy and it is simple to use, you simply test the tick if it has lyme bacteria or not, in case yes, then it is advisable to keep eye on any symptoms either from yourself, cat or dog.

http://www.egeszsegbolt.hu/414-csipe...utatasara.html
Old May 12th 2012, 3:14 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomasc
I would suggest for all of you to buy do-it-yourself test for the Lyme disease. You can get it from any pharmacy and it is simple to use, you simply test the tick if it has lyme bacteria or not, in case yes, then it is advisable to keep eye on any symptoms either from yourself, cat or dog.

http://www.egeszsegbolt.hu/414-csipe...utatasara.html

Thanks for that Tomasc, do you know if the test is one or multi use?
Old May 17th 2012, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Zalacsanybrits is an unknown quantity at this point

We don't use any of the drops for fleas and ticks but use the collars instead as they last for longer.My dog had a couple of ticks last year but so far fingers crossed none on her for this year although one of the cats came home with 3 on her head a few weeks ago.
Old May 17th 2012, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

tomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the rough

The test is single use, but easy to use.
Old May 22nd 2012, 7:18 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Thanks, might be prudent to have a couple at hand as my daughter had a tick a couple of years ago and this would quickly put our minds at ease.
Old May 22nd 2012, 7:31 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Can't verify this as factual, but have heard if you find an embedded tick you cover it petroleum jelly, It won't be able to breathe and will back out.
Old May 22nd 2012, 7:35 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Can't verify this as factual, but have heard if you find an embedded tick you cover it petroleum jelly, It won't be able to breathe and will back out.
Hi, that does work but shouldn't be done as apparently the tick, whilst dying, will excrete bodily fluids or vomit (yuck) into the wound and increase the chance of the wound becoming infected or contracting Lymes.
Old May 22nd 2012, 7:36 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi, that does work but shouldn't be done as apparently the tick, whilst dying, will excrete bodily fluids or vomit (yuck) into the wound and increase the chance of the wound becoming infected or contracting Lymes.
Thanks, much better advice than mine.
Old May 22nd 2012, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

judybaby is an unknown quantity at this point

I was shocked and horrified to wake up the other morning and see a tick on me!!

I used surgical spirit on a bit of cotton wool, wiped and it just let go, the head came too.

I remembered this from when I was a kid and our cats used to get them!

I have a little red mark where it was but nothing else so I think I'm ok.

Apart that is from other bites I get from walking in the long grass and weeds!

Judy

PS This topic is making me itch now!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.