Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Dog Passports & the UK border

Dog Passports & the UK border

Old Sep 5th 2014, 9:13 am
  #16  
I bite my thumb at thee
 
Rural Hungary's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,479
Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Passports & the UK border

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika
I think that is the case...I am sure someone else on here will confirm.
On the ferry they must stay in the vehicle or there is a "holding room" they can go to but I believe they must be in an animal carrier or cage. I think it was £15/animal on the tunnel.
Rural Hungary is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2014, 8:08 pm
  #17  
BE Enthusiast
 
Sachina's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen Hungary
Posts: 751
Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Passports & the UK border

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
On the ferry they must stay in the vehicle or there is a "holding room" they can go to but I believe they must be in an animal carrier or cage. I think it was £15/animal on the tunnel.
We came back on the ferry and there was no holding room and even if there had been I would still have left the dogs and cat in the car. Getting from and to the car deck was like fighting your way through a rugby scrum, with people in wheelchairs or on crutches waiting for ages for a lift which when it finally arrived resulted in everyone being squashed in like sardines. Absolute chaos!

From driving on to driving off the animals were only left in the car for 2 hours which often less than when I take them shopping with me. They slept on the back seat of the car for the whole journey and only woke up when we went back to the car.
Sachina is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2014, 3:45 am
  #18  
BE Forum Addict
 
fidobsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: North east Croatia
Posts: 1,667
fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Passports & the UK border

Originally Posted by Sachina

From driving on to driving off the animals were only left in the car for 2 hours which often less than when I take them shopping with me. They slept on the back seat of the car for the whole journey and only woke up when we went back to the car.
They won't get seasick when the car is in a shopping centre car park though! How do you know they were sleeping anyway?
fidobsa is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2014, 9:19 am
  #19  
I bite my thumb at thee
 
Rural Hungary's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,479
Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Passports & the UK border

Originally Posted by fidobsa
They won't get seasick when the car is in a shopping centre car park though! How do you know they were sleeping anyway?
That's another positive for the tunnel, no seasickness and if Charlie gets upset then you are on hand to reassure him.
Rural Hungary is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2014, 9:28 am
  #20  
BE Enthusiast
 
Pollypaprika's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 878
Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dog Passports & the UK border

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
That's another positive for the tunnel, no seasickness and if Charlie gets upset then you are on hand to reassure him.
Our dog is hypersensitive to noise and although she didn't like the Chunnel much...at least as you say... we were with her and could control the situation.
Pollypaprika is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2014, 9:32 am
  #21  
I bite my thumb at thee
 
Rural Hungary's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,479
Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Passports & the UK border

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika
Our dog is hypersensitive to noise and although she didn't like the Chunnel much...at least as you say... we were with her and could control the situation.
.... and imagine how she would have been once the ferry started moving - the noises below deck are quite horrific during the voyage.
Rural Hungary is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2014, 9:34 am
  #22  
BE Enthusiast
 
Pollypaprika's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 878
Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dog Passports & the UK border

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
.... and imagine how she would have been once the ferry started moving - the noises below deck are quite horrific during the voyage.
She would not have made the trip. Same with flying by air unfortunately.
Pollypaprika is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2014, 9:40 am
  #23  
I bite my thumb at thee
 
Rural Hungary's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,479
Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Passports & the UK border

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika
She would not have made the trip. Same with flying by air unfortunately.
Oh bless, our Plum would be the same though as she hates being alone and is nervous enough without the added stress of being below decks. Every dog s different though and most will know what their animals can and cannot tolerate - we took a peacock and chickens on a ferry once and they were fine
Rural Hungary is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2014, 9:03 pm
  #24  
BE Forum Addict
 
calman014's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,123
calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Passports & the UK border

The Microchip should not be a problem. The serial number would be in the EU Pet Passport anyway. If you know the location of the chip, there is no problem. Using the tunnel, you are the one who has to do the scan anyway. The extra cost is worth it, it's much easier on the dog(s) than ferries.
calman014 is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2014, 9:14 pm
  #25  
BE Enthusiast
 
Sachina's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen Hungary
Posts: 751
Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Passports & the UK border

I'm very fortunate in that my dogs are virtually "bomb proof" when it comes to travelling, but that's probably because they've been taken everywhere with me since they were a few weeks old. Because I'm usually on my own, I have a strict routine with them. Once they're on the back seat of the car and their harnesses are attached, they're expected to settle down until I stop the car, open the door, put on their leads, release them from their harnesses and tell them they can come out. Mine slept most of the way to and from Hungary and when we went on the train and ferry. The only time they made a fuss was when my son tried to take them on a walk on the beach at Calais ... they both objected to getting their paws sandy!
Sachina is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2014, 11:00 pm
  #26  
BE Enthusiast
 
Pollypaprika's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 878
Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dog Passports & the UK border

Originally Posted by Sachina
I'm very fortunate in that my dogs are virtually "bomb proof" when it comes to travelling, but that's probably because they've been taken everywhere with me since they were a few weeks old. Because I'm usually on my own, I have a strict routine with them. Once they're on the back seat of the car and their harnesses are attached, they're expected to settle down until I stop the car, open the door, put on their leads, release them from their harnesses and tell them they can come out. Mine slept most of the way to and from Hungary and when we went on the train and ferry. The only time they made a fuss was when my son tried to take them on a walk on the beach at Calais ... they both objected to getting their paws sandy!
Aww...sounds like you have them very well trained...bless Our little one is a really good traveller too, loves car rides etc...but...she has an extreme noises sensitivity issue which has got worse with age which now makes staying anywhere different a little bit difficult. It only really became an issue this year....and with the constant storms we have had this summer...I think her nerves are frazzled (and mine )
Pollypaprika is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2014, 7:53 pm
  #27  
BE Enthusiast
 
Sachina's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen Hungary
Posts: 751
Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Passports & the UK border

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika
Aww...sounds like you have them very well trained...bless Our little one is a really good traveller too, loves car rides etc...but...she has an extreme noises sensitivity issue which has got worse with age which now makes staying anywhere different a little bit difficult. It only really became an issue this year....and with the constant storms we have had this summer...I think her nerves are frazzled (and mine )
You have my sympathy! I know all about the frazzled nerves because my Peigirl at 4 months old developed severe entropion which left her partially sighted and for the next 5 months she suffered from panic attacks. She was terrified at the slightest noise ... even a owl hooting in the night would set her off! Strangely enough, thunder never bothered her??? Luckily for both of us, after several operations her sight is now normal and she no longer panics.
Sachina is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:35 pm
  #28  
BE Enthusiast
 
Pollypaprika's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 878
Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dog Passports & the UK border

Originally Posted by Sachina
You have my sympathy! I know all about the frazzled nerves because my Peigirl at 4 months old developed severe entropion which left her partially sighted and for the next 5 months she suffered from panic attacks. She was terrified at the slightest noise ... even a owl hooting in the night would set her off! Strangely enough, thunder never bothered her??? Luckily for both of us, after several operations her sight is now normal and she no longer panics.
I am glad she made a full recovery...that's awesome! I would say what my little girl has is panic attacks.
Pollypaprika is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2014, 6:22 pm
  #29  
BE Forum Addict
 
fidobsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: North east Croatia
Posts: 1,667
fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Passports & the UK border

Yes, dogs certainly are all different. Charlie does suffer from separation anxiety but he seems OK when left in the car. I once hooked his lead over a pole outside a supermarket as it was a bit hot to leave him in the car. I was only getting a couple of items so he was not left long but he went absolutely mental, barking, howling and racing round the pole. He had to be with me that day as he was going to the vet but I usually leave him at home on hot days when I go to town. How pleased he is to see me when I get home is proportional to how long he has been left. He does not mind sand though, there is a dirt track road behind my land which could more accurately be described as a sand road, it is just like walking down a beach in some places. He takes the sand , ruts, puddles and washed out sections in his stride. He used to walk round the puddles but now he often goes for a paddle.
fidobsa is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:15 pm
  #30  
BE Enthusiast
 
Pollypaprika's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 878
Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dog Passports & the UK border

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Yes, dogs certainly are all different. Charlie does suffer from separation anxiety but he seems OK when left in the car. I once hooked his lead over a pole outside a supermarket as it was a bit hot to leave him in the car. I was only getting a couple of items so he was not left long but he went absolutely mental, barking, howling and racing round the pole. He had to be with me that day as he was going to the vet but I usually leave him at home on hot days when I go to town. How pleased he is to see me when I get home is proportional to how long he has been left. He does not mind sand though, there is a dirt track road behind my land which could more accurately be described as a sand road, it is just like walking down a beach in some places. He takes the sand , ruts, puddles and washed out sections in his stride. He used to walk round the puddles but now he often goes for a paddle.
I think we should have a pet section in the Kocsma where we can discuss our fur babies
Pollypaprika is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.