British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Dog Passports & the UK border (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/dog-passports-uk-border-841854/)

Rural Hungary Sep 5th 2014 9:13 pm

Re: Dog Passports & the UK border

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika (Post 11394013)
I think that is the case...I am sure someone else on here will confirm.

On the ferry they must stay in the vehicle or there is a "holding room" they can go to but I believe they must be in an animal carrier or cage. I think it was £15/animal on the tunnel.

Sachina Sep 6th 2014 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 11394127)
On the ferry they must stay in the vehicle or there is a "holding room" they can go to but I believe they must be in an animal carrier or cage. I think it was £15/animal on the tunnel.

We came back on the ferry and there was no holding room and even if there had been I would still have left the dogs and cat in the car. Getting from and to the car deck was like fighting your way through a rugby scrum, with people in wheelchairs or on crutches waiting for ages for a lift which when it finally arrived resulted in everyone being squashed in like sardines. Absolute chaos!

From driving on to driving off the animals were only left in the car for 2 hours which often less than when I take them shopping with me. They slept on the back seat of the car for the whole journey and only woke up when we went back to the car.

fidobsa Sep 6th 2014 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Sachina (Post 11394419)

From driving on to driving off the animals were only left in the car for 2 hours which often less than when I take them shopping with me. They slept on the back seat of the car for the whole journey and only woke up when we went back to the car.

They won't get seasick when the car is in a shopping centre car park though! How do you know they were sleeping anyway?

Rural Hungary Sep 7th 2014 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by fidobsa (Post 11394699)
They won't get seasick when the car is in a shopping centre car park though! How do you know they were sleeping anyway?

That's another positive for the tunnel, no seasickness and if Charlie gets upset then you are on hand to reassure him.

Pollypaprika Sep 7th 2014 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 11395893)
That's another positive for the tunnel, no seasickness and if Charlie gets upset then you are on hand to reassure him.

Our dog is hypersensitive to noise and although she didn't like the Chunnel much...at least as you say... we were with her and could control the situation.

Rural Hungary Sep 7th 2014 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika (Post 11395902)
Our dog is hypersensitive to noise and although she didn't like the Chunnel much...at least as you say... we were with her and could control the situation.

.... and imagine how she would have been once the ferry started moving - the noises below deck are quite horrific during the voyage.

Pollypaprika Sep 7th 2014 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 11395907)
.... and imagine how she would have been once the ferry started moving - the noises below deck are quite horrific during the voyage.

She would not have made the trip. Same with flying by air unfortunately.

Rural Hungary Sep 7th 2014 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika (Post 11395910)
She would not have made the trip. Same with flying by air unfortunately.

Oh bless, our Plum would be the same though as she hates being alone and is nervous enough without the added stress of being below decks. Every dog s different though and most will know what their animals can and cannot tolerate - we took a peacock and chickens on a ferry once and they were fine :o

calman014 Sep 8th 2014 9:03 am

The Microchip should not be a problem. The serial number would be in the EU Pet Passport anyway. If you know the location of the chip, there is no problem. Using the tunnel, you are the one who has to do the scan anyway. The extra cost is worth it, it's much easier on the dog(s) than ferries.

Sachina Sep 8th 2014 9:14 am

I'm very fortunate in that my dogs are virtually "bomb proof" when it comes to travelling, but that's probably because they've been taken everywhere with me since they were a few weeks old. Because I'm usually on my own, I have a strict routine with them. Once they're on the back seat of the car and their harnesses are attached, they're expected to settle down until I stop the car, open the door, put on their leads, release them from their harnesses and tell them they can come out. Mine slept most of the way to and from Hungary and when we went on the train and ferry. The only time they made a fuss was when my son tried to take them on a walk on the beach at Calais ... they both objected to getting their paws sandy!

Pollypaprika Sep 8th 2014 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Sachina (Post 11396284)
I'm very fortunate in that my dogs are virtually "bomb proof" when it comes to travelling, but that's probably because they've been taken everywhere with me since they were a few weeks old. Because I'm usually on my own, I have a strict routine with them. Once they're on the back seat of the car and their harnesses are attached, they're expected to settle down until I stop the car, open the door, put on their leads, release them from their harnesses and tell them they can come out. Mine slept most of the way to and from Hungary and when we went on the train and ferry. The only time they made a fuss was when my son tried to take them on a walk on the beach at Calais ... they both objected to getting their paws sandy!

Aww...sounds like you have them very well trained...bless :thumbup: Our little one is a really good traveller too, loves car rides etc...but...she has an extreme noises sensitivity issue which has got worse with age which now makes staying anywhere different a little bit difficult. It only really became an issue this year....and with the constant storms we have had this summer...I think her nerves are frazzled (and mine :blink:)

Sachina Sep 9th 2014 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika (Post 11396369)
Aww...sounds like you have them very well trained...bless :thumbup: Our little one is a really good traveller too, loves car rides etc...but...she has an extreme noises sensitivity issue which has got worse with age which now makes staying anywhere different a little bit difficult. It only really became an issue this year....and with the constant storms we have had this summer...I think her nerves are frazzled (and mine :blink:)

You have my sympathy! I know all about the frazzled nerves because my Peigirl at 4 months old developed severe entropion which left her partially sighted and for the next 5 months she suffered from panic attacks. She was terrified at the slightest noise ... even a owl hooting in the night would set her off! Strangely enough, thunder never bothered her??? Luckily for both of us, after several operations her sight is now normal and she no longer panics.

Pollypaprika Sep 9th 2014 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Sachina (Post 11397652)
You have my sympathy! I know all about the frazzled nerves because my Peigirl at 4 months old developed severe entropion which left her partially sighted and for the next 5 months she suffered from panic attacks. She was terrified at the slightest noise ... even a owl hooting in the night would set her off! Strangely enough, thunder never bothered her??? Luckily for both of us, after several operations her sight is now normal and she no longer panics.

I am glad she made a full recovery...that's awesome! I would say what my little girl has is panic attacks.

fidobsa Sep 10th 2014 6:22 am

Yes, dogs certainly are all different. Charlie does suffer from separation anxiety but he seems OK when left in the car. I once hooked his lead over a pole outside a supermarket as it was a bit hot to leave him in the car. I was only getting a couple of items so he was not left long but he went absolutely mental, barking, howling and racing round the pole. He had to be with me that day as he was going to the vet but I usually leave him at home on hot days when I go to town. How pleased he is to see me when I get home is proportional to how long he has been left. He does not mind sand though, there is a dirt track road behind my land which could more accurately be described as a sand road, it is just like walking down a beach in some places. He takes the sand , ruts, puddles and washed out sections in his stride. He used to walk round the puddles but now he often goes for a paddle.

Pollypaprika Sep 10th 2014 9:15 am

Originally Posted by fidobsa (Post 11399084)
Yes, dogs certainly are all different. Charlie does suffer from separation anxiety but he seems OK when left in the car. I once hooked his lead over a pole outside a supermarket as it was a bit hot to leave him in the car. I was only getting a couple of items so he was not left long but he went absolutely mental, barking, howling and racing round the pole. He had to be with me that day as he was going to the vet but I usually leave him at home on hot days when I go to town. How pleased he is to see me when I get home is proportional to how long he has been left. He does not mind sand though, there is a dirt track road behind my land which could more accurately be described as a sand road, it is just like walking down a beach in some places. He takes the sand , ruts, puddles and washed out sections in his stride. He used to walk round the puddles but now he often goes for a paddle.

I think we should have a pet section in the Kocsma where we can discuss our fur babies :thumbup: