Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Disposal of UK Car

Disposal of UK Car

Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

male1963 has a spectacular aura aboutmale1963 has a spectacular aura aboutmale1963 has a spectacular aura about
Default Disposal of UK Car

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for me on my latest problem.

I drove to Hungary in November in my UK registered, right-hand drive car which is a Rover 25 turbo diesel. I now want to dispose of it and I am wondering if scrapping it here in Hungary would bring up any issues?

I have all the documentation to say that its legally mine (UK paperwork), but would a Hungarian scrapyard accept this?

Does anyone have any experience of scrapping a UK vehicle here in Hungary please ?

I suppose a second option could be to find someone here in Hungary who wants to drive back to England and then sell my car to that person. But finding such a person with that exact requirement could be a tricky option I guess (but feel free to PM me if that person is you !!!).

I can't imagine that I am the only English person who has come across this situation so if you have any advice then please reply.

Warm thanks
male1963
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:10 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disposal of UK Car

Originally Posted by male1963
Hi all,

I drove to Hungary in November in my UK registered, right-hand drive car which is a Rover 25 turbo diesel. I now want to dispose of it and I am wondering if scrapping it here in Hungary would bring up any issues?

I have all the documentation to say that its legally mine (UK paperwork), but would a Hungarian scrapyard accept this?

Does anyone have any experience of scrapping a UK vehicle here in Hungary please ?

I suppose a second option could be to find someone here in Hungary who wants to drive back to England and then sell my car to that person. But finding such a person with that exact requirement could be a tricky option I guess (but feel free to PM me if that person is you !!!).

I can't imagine that I am the only English person who has come across this situation so if you have any advice then please reply.

Warm thanks
male1963
Not sure the best way to do this but I think I would advertise it perhaps on eBay and hope someone here going back wants it if that failed SORN it in the UK then just sell it for spares without the number plates or any papers.

I sold my Spanish car here for spares with no papers but have not informed anyone in Spain yet, I hope I'm ok.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

Have some friends who had a lot of problems with the same thing. If the car is registered in the UK you have to fill in the UK forms to scrap the car (without these you are liable for a fine in both countries) and then ask the Hungarian equivalent of DVLA for permission to accept it as scrap in Hungary (sometimes they dont, because they are short of room for that sort of thing) and if they accept, then you have to pay.
Also it is illegal for you to sell the car in Hungary without it being registered in Hungary.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I have been pondering the vehicle problem and have thought about buying a UK registered LHD as I will be returning often to the UK its not a problem, and also I hear that the AA do car insurance specifically for those with holiday homes abroad, though legally you can't have the vehicle for more than 6 months in every year else you should register it in that country.
With airfares rising and some airlines cancelling their routes, it seems the best option for us. I hope this helped you.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 4:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Its also worth remembering that you mustn't let the MOT run out on the car in the UK, because to be able to drive it in EU countries it has to be legal in the country of registration, .i.e. normally taxed and MOT'd

If you decide to sell it to someone to drive it back and the MOT has expired then they will be unable to easily drive it legally back into the UK
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by male1963
Hi all,

Warm thanks
male1963
When does the MoT run out? I'm after some sort of transport for househunting in Hungary so might buy it if the price is right. Apparently I can't buy a Hungary registered car unless I officially reside there.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:53 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I'm after some sort of transport for househunting in Hungary so might buy it if the price is right.
I believe a sale was agreed this evening
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I only spotted this thread just now.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:05 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

It may be free again by the time you get here. Waiting for a transit engine, have sent you an email.