Reload this Page >

Marriage proposal

Marriage proposal

Old Jul 5th 2018, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Gunnerwhite87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage proposal

Hi everyone,

im new to the group so forgive me if this post is in the wrong section.

i want to propose to my partner next month. Her father is Hungarian and I would like to ask him for her hand in marriage. My question is this:

is there a Hungarian tradition differs from British tradition when asking for a hand in marriage or something traditional such as offering a gift when asking for example?

Your help is much appreciated

thanks in advance

Daryl
Old Jul 6th 2018, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage proposal

Originally Posted by Gunnerwhite87
Hi everyone,

im new to the group so forgive me if this post is in the wrong section.

i want to propose to my partner next month. Her father is Hungarian and I would like to ask him for her hand in marriage. My question is this:

is there a Hungarian tradition differs from British tradition when asking for a hand in marriage or something traditional such as offering a gift when asking for example?

Your help is much appreciated

thanks in advance

Daryl
I'm not aware of any tradition but I did propose to my wife first and then asked both her parents for her hand in marriage. As my Hungarian is pretty bad my wife had to translate for me! They did ask me a few questions and had serious looks on their faces. We have now been married for 11 years! :-) I did not give a gift and we all had a couple of shots of home made palinka afterwards. It might be a good idea to buy a good bottle of palinka, put it on the table with enough glasses for all to toast your proposal.
Have you already proposed to your partner? Are you intending to ask the parents first?

Good luck Daryl.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a simplified way to get married in Hungary i.e is there someone who you can pay to do all the paperwork (subject to our info supplied) and arrange a simple ceremony, I wonder.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by enter
Is there a simplified way to get married in Hungary i.e is there someone who you can pay to do all the paperwork (subject to our info supplied) and arrange a simple ceremony, I wonder.
Will you be in or near Budapest?

If so these people, Helpers Hungary could almost certainly fix you up, even if your much further out I am sure they could sort out the paperwork.

Helpers Hungary

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Jul 6th 2018 at 2:03 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

Translation etc would be expensive and the whole Hungarian marriage process for an English speaker/partner is more complex than marrying in the uk.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Old Jul 6th 2018, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Gunnerwhite87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I'm not aware of any tradition but I did propose to my wife first and then asked both her parents for her hand in marriage. As my Hungarian is pretty bad my wife had to translate for me! They did ask me a few questions and had serious looks on their faces. We have now been married for 11 years! :-) I did not give a gift and we all had a couple of shots of home made palinka afterwards. It might be a good idea to buy a good bottle of palinka, put it on the table with enough glasses for all to toast your proposal.
Have you already proposed to your partner? Are you intending to ask the parents first?

Good luck Daryl.
thank you for your reply! Much appreciated.

I plan to ask her her next Month and yes I am going to ask her parents. I know it will go a very long way. Palinka is a good idea although not drinkers I’m sure they will appreciate the sentiment.

Lets hope she says yes 😂
Old Jul 6th 2018, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I plan to ask her her next Month and yes I am going to ask her parents. I know it will go a very long way. Palinka is a good idea although not drinkers I’m sure they will appreciate the sentiment.

Lets hope she says yes 😂
Hungarians do enjoy (Hungarian) Champagne too!

PS: You can buy a couple of bottles of Törley or Hungária for less than 6000Ft.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Jul 6th 2018 at 7:53 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2018, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Lets hope she says yes 😂
I've just asked my wife about the Hungarian tradition of proposing and she said it is the same as in the UK. Instead of palinka you could present a nice tokaji wine. Let us know how it goes. I will be checking this forum and will raise a glass or two .... no ... multiple glasses of palinka .... and tell my wife's family about your proposal .... I'm sure they'll join in and drink palinka ..
Old Jul 7th 2018, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Lets hope she says yes � ����

If the future in-laws don't drink palinka then I would suggest asking your intended what would be best to take. (The standard would be palinka for him and flowers for her)

My now son-in-law (Hungarian) proposed to my daughter and then came to ask us.
My son and now daughter-in-law came to us and said 'we are pregnant and we will get married after the baby has been born' (they had been a couple for 8 years at that time)