Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Did you ever experience racism in Hungary?

Did you ever experience racism in Hungary?

Old May 27th 2023, 5:25 pm
Banned

Bill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did you ever experience racism in Hungary?

I don't mean anti-gypsies, we all know about that - I've been re-educating my wife for 25 years, not sure I got very far.

I mean - anti-Brit, or if you're German etc, anti-German.

I've had it a very little bit. Back in 1997, we Brits were given huge (historic) respect IMHO.

That seemed to dry up and go away with the advent of the stag parties, who can blame them for hating idiots getting drunk and throwing up?

Now - I go down to the kocsma now and then, most people seem to like me, they know my wife's uncle was polgarmester. Plus I think they actually just like me for my character, wit, humour stc. Loads of them speak great English and like to speak English with me.

There are just a couple I wouldn't really trust - they sort of always look at me a bit evilly. Nothing to worry about - I hope. I just ignore it and carry on.

But it does make me feel some empathy for our migration friends in the UK who suffer similar prejudice.

My wife says the Govt stokes up anti-foreigner feeling, I wouldn't know.
Old May 29th 2023, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you ever experience racism in Hungary?

I've never experienced racism against myself as a Brit. My wife is Hungarian and we have sometimes had issues with bus drivers pretending not to understand what we are saying. It may just be the fact we are both deaf and may not speak our destination in the correct way.