British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Dementia care (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/dementia-care-917802/)

Tonymol Sep 29th 2018 12:55 pm

Dementia care

Can somebody help on this subject? My Father is showing signs of early dementia. Is their any care available for this in Vasmegye? I’ve got two options I either get him cared for in Hungary or I’ll have to bring him back to England, he gets a British pension, and get him cared for there

Szentgal Sep 29th 2018 4:09 pm

Re: Dementia care

I am not sure if anything is available in Vas...but if there is..the stuff and the other patients wouldnt speak english..so he would feel isolated..If i was you i would get private care..somebody , who comes to teh house and cares for him during the day while you are not in..
Also care homes, dontt really want to take on patients with demetia..

Tonymol Sep 29th 2018 8:15 pm

I forgot to mention my father is Hungarian by birth. Came to England in 56 and lived and worked there for over 50 years that’s how he gets a British pension. His English seems to have vanished altogether now but he is 80 years old

Tonymol Sep 30th 2018 9:25 am

Also I don’t actually live in Hungary I’m still based in England

scot47 Sep 30th 2018 10:02 am

In that case he is probably much better cared for in Hungary. Language is crucial - perhaps even more in the case of Dementia.

Szentgal Sep 30th 2018 12:30 pm

I would get him private care/home care.Review on care homes are not really good..:(
hopefully neighbours / relatives could recommend someone?

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella Sep 30th 2018 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Szentgal (Post 12570458)
I would get him private care/home care.Review on care homes are not really good..:(
hopefully neighbours / relatives could recommend someone?

They are expensive, though. My m-i-l (85) started talking about going into a care home, she had 3 smallish strokes.

We checked out the cost & quickly told her to stay as independent as possible for as long as possible! :)

Much the better for her, she's doing fine and much more independent than 'giving up' in a care home & going into decline.

Peter_in_Hungary Sep 30th 2018 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Tonymol (Post 12570233)
I forgot to mention my father is Hungarian by birth. Came to England in 56 and lived and worked there for over 50 years that’s how he gets a British pension. His English seems to have vanished altogether now but he is 80 years old

Difficult decisions.
Life expectancy from diagnosis of dementia is 5-7 years (according to some research) , but at age 80 other factors may have greater influence and IMO life expectancy will greatly influence any decision. My mother was in a care home in the UK, ('walking wounded aged 94) and the cost was Ł1250 per week. We looked at nursing homes and these were about 2k per week. In England if your father was in a home and ran out of money then the council picks up the difference, but if your father is currently living in Hungary and you bring him to England then I doubt that any UK council would want to financially help with his care. In Hungary if you are in a care home and you run out of money then the children can / will be asked to pay any shortfall and the amount will be means tested. The Hungarian constitution specifically says that children have a duty to support their parents, if the children are assessed to be unable to (fully) support their parents the the council will make up the difference. In Hungary care homes will be from Ł500 per month. Not many homes in either country will take dementia patients. End of life care is difficult, more so for the relatives, whilst finances will generally rule what happens we decided that if my mother was happy in the moment and had her needs cared for then this was the best that could be expected. (she had acute short term memory loss amongst other issues).

With regard to language, my grandmother had French as a mother tongue with English as a second language (learnt in her 20s) when she had a minor stroke she lost all her English for about 4 days and it then slowly came back - so perhaps there is some small hope that your fathers English may return.

It could prove difficult if your father was in a care home in Hungary and you are living in England especially as his condition deteriorates. Does he have any relatives close by who could over see events?

Depending upon how bad your fathers condition is, each village and town (villages are better than towns for this) have social workers whos job is to support, according to needs, the independent living of the elderly. Some is free after that it is pay for. In our village all types of duties are undertaken from hair washing to emptying commodes, getting meals on wheels, doing the laundry, doing house work and basic garden tidying. Is this an option - or have things progressed too far?

Before my mother went into a home she first had day care and then a live-in carer both were difficult to find or unaffordable and it was the inability to find another affordable live-in carer that caused her entry into the Home.

Just my recent experiences of similar problems - luckily I have siblings and we could work as a team doing what we could to solve the problems.

Szentgal Sep 30th 2018 3:33 pm

Bemutatkozás

I have found a living in care home for you in Vas megye. (Szombathely) .Couldt find any reviews, but they are taking dementia patients.Not sure about the waiting list..

Is there anyone who could get in touch with them in hungarian?

Tonymol Oct 1st 2018 8:32 am

Hi yes their is. My cousin Sandor lives nearby so I’ll pass on this info. Thanks to everybody who has given me brilliant advice I’d have been stuck without it. Many thanks