Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Dealing with "escaped" aggressive dogs

Dealing with "escaped" aggressive dogs

Old Oct 9th 2021, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dealing with "escaped" aggressive dogs

What is the law on dealing with dogs which have escaped from their owners property and behaving aggressively towards another dog?
On two occasions on same road with same small dog it had got through a gap in the fencing and was very aggressive towards our sprocker. This morning it came within 5mm of biting my sprocker. No amount of shooing would discourage it to go away and came closer every time.
My sprocker didn't react at all and ignored it.
This has happened on other occasions too and once three small dogs were behaving aggressively towards my sprocker.
Old Oct 9th 2021, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dealing with "escaped" aggressive dogs

Originally Posted by FenTiger
What is the law on dealing with dogs which have escaped from their owners property and behaving aggressively towards another dog?
On two occasions on same road with same small dog it had got through a gap in the fencing and was very aggressive towards our sprocker. This morning it came within 5mm of biting my sprocker. No amount of shooing would discourage it to go away and came closer every time.
My sprocker didn't react at all and ignored it.
This has happened on other occasions too and once three small dogs were behaving aggressively towards my sprocker.
Nuisance dogs and strays are the responsibility of the council. Either talk to the owner, probably first option, and if this has no result then a complaint (in writing) to the council.
Old Oct 9th 2021, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Nuisance dogs and strays are the responsibility of the council. Either talk to the owner, probably first option, and if this has no result then a complaint (in writing) to the council.
I might have been saved a "talk" with the owner as another neighbour saw what was happening and shooed it away.
Old Oct 9th 2021, 12:11 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Lodge a complaint with the Polgarmeister if your chat with the owner does not work. In our village there were several aggressive dogs often running the street and the Polgarmeister warned the owners twice about the matter. They continued to run loose so he had the Renderszeg pay them a visit. They were informed if they recieved another complaint the dogs would be taken. They now keep their dogs contained in their garden.
Old Oct 9th 2021, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Lodge a complaint with the Polgarmeister if your chat with the owner does not work. In our village there were several aggressive dogs often running the street and the Polgarmeister warned the owners twice about the matter. They continued to run loose so he had the Renderszeg pay them a visit. They were informed if they recieved another complaint the dogs would be taken. They now keep their dogs contained in their garden.
That's good to know. I think the owners are not particularly bright because it's obvious the small dog can get through the fence. They have covered parts of the fence to stop that dog getting out but not enough of it!
Old Oct 10th 2021, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience most dogs will go home if you tell them to. Obviously the command has to be in Hungarian!
I think you'd find as well if the dog had a history of attacking other dogs it wouldn't be around to tell the tale. In my village if a dog regularly terrorised people or other dogs it would have been PTS long ago.

Something else you can try which I have done is to take with you, some virsli cut into tiny pieces and when the dog appears throw some in their way which will take its attention off you and Archie.. .