Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

cserépkályha removal

cserépkályha removal

Old Feb 8th 2019, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

JBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default cserépkályha removal

Good morning,

I am considering removal of one of the stoves in our house as it's not used & the space could be better used.
can anyone tell me if it's a simple process & what to block the chimney access with. I have seen several for sale offering own removal TIA
Old Feb 8th 2019, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cserépkályha removal

I suppose it will depend on whether it is the sort that is all in one room or half in one, half in another room. If it was built against an existing wall it might be just a case of dismantling it and replastering the area where it was, fitting the usual round blanking plug over the flue hole. If the wall was built round it you might be able to just demolish part of the stove to leave brickwork roughly flush with the rest of the wall then make good.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 5:36 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

You may want to reconsider removal of the chimney. My old house has one chimney, currently used for a boiler and had the previous owners not removed 2 other chimneys We would not be looking at having to replace one of them for a wood burning heater. Unless you are planning to keep your property long term you may be messing up at the detriment of a future owner...just saying! Remove the heater if it is not needed but leave that chimney intact.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Removing acserépkályha is a simple process but a very dirty job. care will need to be used if you want to remove it so that it can be reused, which is why a lot of adverts say buyer removes - so that breakages are not the responsibility of the seller ! The chimney is perhaps more of a problem than the stove, unused chimneys should be ventilated at the baes to avoid damp from rain causing problems. It is generally not enough to just cap the top. If you do not want to use the chimney for some time (years- if ever) the best solution is to remove the chimney down to ceiling level, cap and insulate over and make good the roof. This removes potential flashing and other problems later and it is not too difficult to reinstate later. Also depending upon your area sometimes you get charges for annual inspection regardless of whether the chimney has a stove attached. removing it down to ceiling level removes this issue.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
and had the previous owners not removed 2 other chimneys We would not be looking at having to replace one of them for a wood burning heater.
Two options for replacing a chimney for a wood burner, 1. a precast concrete section chimney with an insulated with a ceramic liner, this will need foundations in the floor and 2. A stainless steel double wall insulated prefabricated chimney that hangs from the ceiling and rafters, no foundations needed and less disruptive to install.
The conventional Hungarian brick chimney is not really suitable for a modern wood burner, an insulated flue should be used.

Old Feb 9th 2019, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I have removed 2 chimneys from my house in Croatia. With the traditional type of clay tile roof it is quite easy to patch up the resulting hole in the roof, if you can find some spare tiles of the right sort. There is usually no chimney breast but there was a small chimney breast in the corner of the bathroom and in that case I needed to remove it, as it would have been in the way of the new bath. The old water heater was a dual fuel, solid fuel and electricity type and the chimney was for that.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 5:35 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

If I can find double wall stainless steel insulated chimney pipe, that is what we have decided to do. If we don't find the stuff here, I will just order some from the UK and have it sent over. I have some extra roof tiles so that should not be a problem for the installer.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
If I can find double wall stainless steel insulated chimney pipe, that is what we have decided to do. If we don't find the stuff here, I will just order some from the UK and have it sent over. I have some extra roof tiles so that should not be a problem for the installer.
It can be found here, Google duplafalú rozsdamentes acél kémény and take your choice.

Old Feb 9th 2019, 8:45 pm
Banned

Thanks Peter, will do.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

JBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for the information, the stove is not attached to the wall , so no major issues there. The chimney is used by two separate stoves, in adjoining rooms so will still be used.

We had our inspection last year & no charges so think we are ok on that one. I guessed there would be a lot of mess but hey it cleans up