Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

This could become addictive - Who's up for a Geo hunt?

This could become addictive - Who's up for a Geo hunt?

Old Jun 15th 2014, 11:37 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default This could become addictive - Who's up for a Geo hunt?

A friend just sent me a link to the geocaching website and having never heard of it before, I took a quick look.
The concept appears to be that members post details of a specific "thing" and other members need to track it down - sometimes there are further clues and other times not.
Those who find it then post a photo of them at the cache. There are numerous of them in Hungary which can be viewed on the cache map - link on the top menu or you can browse the country list.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This could become addictive - Who's up for a Geo hunt?

Might try this out when I'm next in Hungary for a bit of fun.

Last edited by FenTiger; Jun 15th 2014 at 12:19 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 12:17 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

me too. If you do, post a photo or link on here then we could see who is finding what and perhaps add some as well - there are a couple local to me that would be interesting caches.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 12:18 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
A friend just sent me a link to the geocaching website and having never heard of it before, I took a quick look.
The concept appears to be that members post details of a specific "thing" and other members need to track it down - sometimes there are further clues and other times not.
Those who find it then post a photo of them at the cache. There are numerous of them in Hungary which can be viewed on the cache map - link on the top menu or you can browse the country list.
This is a worldwide thing. A friend and I do it every weekend here in Perth Australia and I'm planning to do some caches in Canada and Europe while traveling over the next month. If you want to know anything about it, just let me know.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 12:26 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Dorothy
This is a worldwide thing. A friend and I do it every weekend here in Perth Australia and I'm planning to do some caches in Canada and Europe while traveling over the next month. If you want to know anything about it, just let me know.
I'm surprised I hadn't heard of it before and it will definitely add another level to walks in the countryside. Do you have to be a premium member to add a cache or can anybody do so?
My brothers in Morley near Perth
Old Jun 16th 2014, 9:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I have a premium membership. Mostly because there are more caches available to premium members and I thought the fee would go toward supporting a great idea.

I go to Morley once a month to the markets. Small world, eh? Oh, and I'll be in Czech Republic in a couple of weeks and plan to do some caching while there.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 9:43 am
Still alive

I have a premium membership. Mostly because there are more caches available to premium members and I thought the fee would go toward supporting a great idea.

I go to Morley once a month to the markets. Small world, eh? Oh, and I'll be in Czech Republic in a couple of weeks and plan to do some caching while there.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 9:47 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Wow, it sure is. Hope you have nice trip in the Czech Republic. My local area has one cache of a telecommunications mast so I'll need to get busy as many more things worth finding. Is the more obscure preferred over the obvious?
Old Jun 16th 2014, 9:52 am
Still alive

I like the more obscure or ones that are in places where you have to use stealth so muggles don't see what youre doing. A friend and I were hunting in the city centre in Perth and trying to be discreet while digging behind fences or climbing up the sides of buildings to get to high places.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 10:17 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Cheers Dorothy, I just skimmed the site and chatting with my daughter about it now as she is going to Finland, Sweden and Norway this week and is considering doing it.
Initially, I just skimmed the site so am I right in that there is a "treasure" at the place and you find it then put it back in place for somebody else to find?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 7:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ratbag.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 8:31 am
Still alive

No, you don't take anything out. If you want to leave a little something ya can, but the fun is in finding the cache and signing the log. A very few will have trackable items in them, but they're rare. Trackables are things you take out, log as owning and put in somewhere else. I found a champagne cork in Yanchep that started in 1998 in Belgium and I left it in Adelaide.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 9:25 am
I bite my thumb at thee

A very few will have trackable items in them, but they're rare. Trackables are things you take out, log as owning and put in somewhere else. I found a champagne cork in Yanchep that started in 1998 in Belgium and I left it in Adelaide.
How cool is that Dorothy! To think that champagne cork could still be travelling the world in 50 years time, amazing. I will need to find out more as I'm guessing not everybody can start a trackable?