Reload this Page >

Cost Of Living For A Single Person Budapest

Cost Of Living For A Single Person Budapest

Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

bluesox27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost Of Living Budapest

Dear Forum Members

I have the opportunity to work for a telecom company in Budapest but I don’t have a clue about salaries in Budapest and the cost of living

What would you consider a comfortable gross salary HUF per month before deductions

I am single and just need clean accommodation food transport and entertainment a few beers a week and a good gym

Any help with is matter a would be very grateful for

Yours

Jimmy

Yorkshire man
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

stromnessdundee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost Of Living Budapest

Hi
For transport get a BKV pass- they have a website with an English version- I think it is a little over 30 pounds a month. I am not sure about deductions but think that around 400,000-600,00 Huf seems to be the going rate for engineers in Budapest. I have no knowledge of your line of work. Flats vary in price-with area etc.. there are agencies that deal with Expats but their prices tend to be a little on the high side to say the least.... Food tends to be about the same price, if not higher than in the UK. Eating out can be cheaper although not so much in Budapest! If you are considering a move try and get your employer to employ a local fixer for you in order to deal with the bureaucracy- it is fierce.

Have you posted on any other forums? There are others that are much more Budapest centred. I am moving to Budapest in May and will try to help you if I can. Cheers.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Default Thank You stromnessdundee

I have been offered 350 000 HUF/monthly salary, Plus 450 000 HUF gr cafeteria which I presume is for the year

The role is customer support level 2

I am a CISCO CCNA

Yours

Jimmy
Old Apr 4th 2011, 10:17 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost Of Living Budapest

Hi bluesox27 and welcome to the BE forums. Should you need any help finding your wat around feel free to PM me.

Sorry, but I don't know enough about Budapest to advise you. However, we do have several members who live there and hopefully they will be along shortly to answer your questions.

Good luck
Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Default Cost Of Living For A Single Person Budapest

Dear All

What would I need to earn roughly net after deductions to be able live in Budapest on an average life style for a single person
To include accommodation and utilities in a decent area

Food
Transport
A few beers a week
Gym Membership

Yours
Jimmy
Old Apr 5th 2011, 9:12 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost Of Living For A Single Person Budapest

Hi Jimmy, I have merged both of your threads as they basically asked the same thing and you will get more useful replies from users if all information is available on the one thread.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you an idea of living costs in Budapest.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 9:21 am
Account Closed

I have looked at this site http://realestatehungary.hu
And you can find reasonable, furnished flats for around 60,000-70,000 Huf a month. The usual deposit here is 2 months rent and a year's rental contract is typical.

I think that utilities for a c 50sq m flat will be:

Water: 3000ft
Electricity: 6000ft
Gas: c 4000ft BUT in winter it can be as high as c15,000ft- depends how much you are in!
Common charges (levied in all flats) c 10,000ft
Internet: depends on your connection, broadband c 10,000ft for a fast connection capable of streaming tv (should you wish...)
I have no idea of gym membership- my hubby has been looking but most are not too keen of putting their prices in the internet.... I think that membership will be equivalent or greater than UK prices.
Travel pass: quarterly BKV pass is 29,400 Huf. You can only buy an annual pass at the start of the year. http://www.bkv.hu/en/quarterly_passe..._budapest_pass

Hope that this helps a little more...
Jo

Last edited by stromnessdundee; Apr 5th 2011 at 10:53 am. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Default Thank You Joe for your help

Jo

how do i find out what Compulsory Deductions i would have on an 350 000 HUF/monthly salary

i presume it will be something like 40 per cent

so i know what my monthly net salary is

i have asked my potential employee but they seem reluctant to tell me till the interview stage

yours

Jimmy
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:50 am
Account Closed

I think deductions are around 33.5%.

See this guide
http://www.deloitte.com/assets/Dcom-...11_Hungary.pdf

I do not think you will live like a king but you should be able to manage. I had a similar salary about 10 years ago and similar rent and I managed. I did not live in a wonderful city like Budapest though with all of the social life temptations!

Cheers

Jo

Last edited by stromnessdundee; Apr 5th 2011 at 10:55 am. Reason: grammar
Old Apr 5th 2011, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting and informative document. Thanks!
Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Default THANK YOU

Jo

Thank You for all help i cannot fault you

i have just found out the position has been withdrawn and i wont be going to
hungary for now

yours

Jimmy
Old Apr 6th 2011, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

Sorry to hear that. Maybe some other time...