Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

cost of living in rural areas

cost of living in rural areas

Old Jun 28th 2016, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

GMC girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cost of living in rural areas

Thank u for the welcome. Am sure we will bore u all with questions as there are so many. The main concern , before we ever go any further with property searching, is this:

Realistically can we live in the countryside / village on £800 per month? Also do we need a regular income, through the bank or will our savings be accepted? I am happy to get a little job but don't know what the chances are in holiday areas.

What are the average cost of things like utilities, local taxes, ? We have visited Budapest a few times & really liked the people but want village life.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of living in rural areas

I think you do not need proof of income to get residency if you can show that you have minimum of 10,000 Euros in savings.

Most families in Hungarian villages can only dream of having as much as £800 per month to live on! You could live quite comfortably on that amount. The minimum wage is about 350 Euros per month and lots of people are on minimum wage.

I live alone so my bills might be slightly lower but electricity is about 9000 ft/month, water/sewage 1500 ft/month internet 8000 ft/month and local tax about 40,000 ft/year. There is also a local tax applied to motor vehicles but it depends on engine size etc so there is no point me telling you what I pay. I don't have gas but I don't suppose the cost is much different to UK. If you look at other recent threads there are discussions about things like firewood costs. Most people burn wood for heating in rural areas.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Fid,
£800 in a rural village will almost put you in the luxury life style bracket :-)
Old Jun 28th 2016, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by duztee
Agree with Fid,
£800 in a rural village will almost put you in the luxury life style bracket :-)
Currently trying to work out how much we will need to be able travel in Europe and bit & in Hungary. Only have a small pension for a while so will be relying on savings.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=fidobsa;11987321Most families in Hungarian villages can only dream of having as much as £800 per month to live on! You could live quite comfortably on that amount. The minimum wage is about 350 Euros per month and lots of people are on minimum wage.[/QUOTE]

The minimum wage is as said above about 110,000huf / month, your 800gbp is about 300,000huf, however the family on minimum wage, if its a family will also get child allowance and often both will work. Also they will not run a car and expect to go touring (or even go on holiday). You will need to live more like a Hungarian rather than buying the English foods that you miss, (marmite and breakfast cereals can eat into a budget) And it will help if you grow some of your veggies and fruit as the low budget Hungarian diet is responsible for a lot of over weight and diabetes (too much white flour and sugar)
Old Jun 28th 2016, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
The minimum wage is as said above about 110,000huf / month, your 800gbp is about 300,000huf, however the family on minimum wage, if its a family will also get child allowance and often both will work. Also they will not run a car and expect to go touring (or even go on holiday). You will need to live more like a Hungarian rather than buying the English foods that you miss, (marmite and breakfast cereals can eat into a budget) And it will help if you grow some of your veggies and fruit as the low budget Hungarian diet is responsible for a lot of over weight and diabetes (too much white flour and sugar)
Oh believe me, we won't miss English food, one of the things attractive to us is that everything there tastes real & is fresh. We are a couple who want a relaxed lifestyle but one which we can travel a bit & return to England & Ireland to see family.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am shocked that an electricity bill can be 9000 huf a month!!

We are heading to a rural location soon away from Budapest and I would find it interesting to compare what utilities are like.

If you are careful £800 should be ok as long as the exchange rate stabilises. I would say though that you will have to live like a local though! However even saying that you may struggle to have trips away etc as we have found that bills etc can add up and Hungary is not as cheap as it used to be. Still feel better off than in the UK though. Couldn't afford our kids back there.

To be honest I think you will struggle to find anyone on much over 160,000 huf net salary. I once found a government breakdown of salaries by industry and it was a real eye opener. Even areas I would have presumed to be professional get very little.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jetsam1

We are heading to a rural location soon away from Budapest and I would find it interesting to compare what utilities are like.

If you are careful £800 should be ok as long as the exchange rate stabilises. I would say though that you will have to live like a local though! However even saying that you may struggle to have trips away etc as we have found that bills etc can add up and Hungary is not as cheap as it used to be. Still feel better off than in the UK though. Couldn't afford our kids back there.

To be honest I think you will struggle to find anyone on much over 160,000 huf net salary. I once found a government breakdown of salaries by industry and it was a real eye opener. Even areas I would have presumed to be professional get very little.
Myself just paid for Electricity for year 45,00hf I am a very rural area property size 36 m2 low cost but still can't find a buyer digger47
Old Jul 10th 2016, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by digger47
Myself just paid for Electricity for year 45,00hf I am a very rural area property size 36 m2 low cost but still can't find a buyer digger47
Where is it, how much & can we have some pictures please?
Old Jul 10th 2016, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GMC girl
Where is it, how much & can we have some pictures please?
Sorry not allowed to advertise on Site but send a PM and I will respond digger47
Old Jul 10th 2016, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetsam1
All light bulbs are either low energy or LED, hot water is electric but on cheap rate, I don't have a tumble dryer or dishwasher, I don't cook with electricity apart from a mini grill and a toaster.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Razorbite101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I don't cook with electricity apart from a mini grill and a toaster.
We will be fitting a new kitchen next year,am debating whether to go for a gas hob and oven or an electric hob and oven.
On the one hand ,we are told gas is very expensive in Hungary,but on the other ,we are told the electric supply isn't all that good and there is a risk of tripping out the electrics.
Would love to hear what you guys who are already living there think.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fidobsa
All light bulbs are either low energy or LED, hot water is electric but on cheap rate, I don't have a tumble dryer or dishwasher, I don't cook with electricity apart from a mini as grill and a toaster.
Myself about the same items running on Electricity and using a slow cooker pot say for breezing stake But more so the electric price as double in last 9 years
I found that food in not well known restraint is expansive now days last week 2 meals Vinersnipsel Pork in bread crumbs with salad and potatoes with 2 mineral water 6,600hf
I can get 3 Fish and Chips in UK for that amount Hungary is getting expensive digger47
Old Jul 10th 2016, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

We chose the gas central heating route (efficient and cleaner) outside building insulation (which is a must)/triple glazing.. use cheaper electricity especially on the week end.
We don't scrimp on anything,warm in the winter, air con when needed in summer.We are cool in the summer (keeping windows shut in the hottest weather,we use condenser dryer, for laundry in the winter.
Gas /elec bill/year approx £1000, we have direct debits for gas/elec about £40/month each so no shocks at the annual meter readings.No probs.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Razorbite101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by enter
Gas /elec bill/year approx £1000, we have direct debits for gas/elec about £40/month each so no shocks at the annual meter readings.No probs.
Wow. We currently live in a 2 bedroom flat in central London and pay £660 a year for gas and electric.
I thought it would be cheaper when we move to Hungary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.